PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mouthpick and available attacks (D&D 3.5)

NapazTrix
2016-01-24, 04:05 PM
Ok, so, Bear Warrior has a mouthpick sword, can he use his sword and claws together in a full attack?
If they can how many attacks do they get?

The example I have is a level 11 character with full bab giving him:

Greatsword: +27, +22, +17
or
Claws: +25,+25
Bite: +20

BAB: 11/6/1
Strength: 24 (+16 in bear form for 40)

Equating to a Melee Attack Bonus of 25. Has Greatsword focus and +1 magic weapon (+2 on attacks in total)

Does he get his 3 greatsword swings as well as his claws? If so, do the claws take a -5 to them?
so this:
Claws: +20,+20

I remember reading somewhere they get all attacks, but minus the natural they use to hold the weapon, in this case his bite attack.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is structured a tad weirdly.

Necroticplague
2016-01-24, 04:42 PM
Ok, so, Bear Warrior has a mouthpick sword, can he use his sword and claws together in a full attack?
If they can how many attacks do they get?

The example I have is a level 11 character with full bab giving him:

or
Claws: +25,+25
Bite: +20

BAB: 11/6/1
Strength: 24 (+16 in bear form for 40)

Equating to a Melee Attack Bonus of 25. Has Greatsword focus and +1 magic weapon (+2 on attacks in total)

Does he get his 3 greatsword swings as well as his claws? If so, do the claws take a -5 to them?
so this:
Claws: +20,+20

I remember reading somewhere they get all attacks, but minus the natural they use to hold the weapon, in this case his bite attack.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is structured a tad weirdly.

Only considering BaB, their attack bonus should be greatsword+11/greatsword+6/greatsword+1/claw+6/claw+6. Multiattack would make the claws +9.

Whenever you use a natural weapon and a manufactured weapon, you use your manufactured weapons as normal, then you get all your natural weapons, except they are all downgraded to secondary natural weapons (regardless of what they would be normally).

NapazTrix
2016-01-25, 01:43 PM
Only considering BaB, their attack bonus should be greatsword+11/greatsword+6/greatsword+1/claw+6/claw+6. Multiattack would make the claws +9.

Whenever you use a natural weapon and a manufactured weapon, you use your manufactured weapons as normal, then you get all your natural weapons, except they are all downgraded to secondary natural weapons (regardless of what they would be normally).

Thanks, that does seem to be what I found before. Would you happen to know which book/material I can reference for this ruling at all?

Necroticplague
2016-01-25, 02:18 PM
Thanks, that does seem to be what I found before. Would you happen to know which book/material I can reference for this ruling at all?

Yes. The Glossary, under 'manufactured weapons' (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_manufacturedweapons&alpha=M)

Some creatures combine attacks with natural and manufactured weapons when they make a full attack. When they do so, the manufactured weapon attack is considered the primary attack unless the creature's description indicates otherwise (using the manufactured weapon consumes most of the creature's attention), and any natural weapons the creature also uses are considered secondary natural attacks. These secondary attacks do not interfere with the primary attack as attacking with an off-hand weapon does, but they take the usual -5 penalty (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) for such attacks, even if the natural weapon used is normally the creature's primary natural weapon.

The glossary entry itself says that it's in MM and MM3, so presumably it's somewhere in there. Likely in the glossary within the book itself.