PDA

View Full Version : Erudite Questions

ATHATH
2016-01-24, 06:05 PM
Earlier today, I considered creating a StP Erudite for an upcoming High-Op game. I eventually went with something else, but I have some remaining questions about the StP Erudite.

1: Does anyone have a list of really good spells that are held back by their large GP cost?

2: The XP required for the Erudite to learn a non-Psion/Wilder list spell is based on his Erudite level. Many 3.0 Psionic classes advance only specific class features, like max power level, ML, and PP , and not the base class as a whole. Would this mean that if I Prestige Classed out of Erudite as fast as possible, I could enjoy a vastly reduced cost for learning new Powers/Spells (UPPD would wuffer greatly as well, though...)?

ATHATH
2016-01-25, 04:52 PM
Is there an optimal posting time that I keep missing?

Also, bump.

Psyren
2016-01-25, 05:13 PM
For #2 - yes, RAW it's 20XP per Erudite level. At most this is only going to be 400XP per power anyways, so it's a modest cost savings at best.

Is there an optimal posting time that I keep missing?

No, but what you asked in #1 is a bit of a tall order. It might be better for you to try putting together such a list and then the Playground helping you check if you missed anything big.

Remember to stop at 8th level unless your campaign is going Epic, or your DM has very liberal interpretations of the Magic Mantle.

Troacctid
2016-01-25, 05:20 PM
1. Not that I'm aware of. Off the top of my head, there's resurrection-type effects and, like, Divination and Augury, but those generally aren't on arcane spell lists. Animate Dead is nice, but its cost wasn't terribly prohibitive in the first place. Hardening gets more viable, but even with infinite castings it's still fairly niche. Most of the really abusive stuff has xp costs.
2. Up to a point, yes, but if you take too many levels in a psionic prestige class, you'll permanently lose your ability to learn new powers, because you'll have more levels in another psionic class than you do in Erudite. (Also, I'm not sure "vastly" is the word I would use. "Modestly," maybe.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-25, 07:38 PM
No, but what you asked in #1 is a bit of a tall order. It might be better for you to try putting together such a list and then the Playground helping you check if you missed anything big.

Remember to stop at 8th level unless your campaign is going Epic, or your DM has very liberal interpretations of the Magic Mantle.But you're easily high enough level by that point to use psychic chirurgery to buy any 9ths you want, as well as use power acquisition tricks without seeming terribly OP (at least, more than you do already).

Necroticplague
2016-01-25, 09:38 PM
2: The XP required for the Erudite to learn a non-Psion/Wilder list spell is based on his Erudite level. Many 3.0 Psionic classes advance only specific class features, like max power level, ML, and PP , and not the base class as a whole. Would this mean that if I Prestige Classed out of Erudite as fast as possible, I could enjoy a vastly reduced cost for learning new Powers/Spells (UPPD would wuffer greatly as well, though...)?

Technically, yes. However, the lack of UPPD would cripple you. Just grab a Thought Bottle, get all your spell learning done at once.

As for the first......any form of Animate Dead, all resurrection magics, Fabricate, non-true creation. Instant Summons on absolutely everything you own. Yes, even that.

Psyren
2016-01-25, 10:07 PM
But you're easily high enough level by that point to use psychic chirurgery to buy any 9ths you want, as well as use power acquisition tricks without seeming terribly OP (at least, more than you do already).

Yeah but the only person you could be buying them from is another StP Erudite who has gone Epic, or a psion/eruidte who themselves were chirurgeried from one of the former. Not saying your GM won't put that in the world for you somewhere, but it's a bit of a stretch to take it as given.

Beheld
2016-01-25, 10:09 PM
If you are high enough level, Trap the Soul is a go to dumb as **** SLA/Shades copy.

I would recommend looking at what people commonly make SLAs, since that's going to be basically synonmous with what feels great when you negate material components.

ATHATH
2016-01-25, 10:50 PM
Technically, yes. However, the lack of UPPD would cripple you. Just grab a Thought Bottle, get all your spell learning done at once.

As for the first......any form of Animate Dead, all resurrection magics, Fabricate, non-true creation. Instant Summons on absolutely everything you own. Yes, even that.
Well, I'm going with the interpretation that UPPD is per level of power, not all powers in total.

How about Forcecage?