PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Butler for a Thrallherd?

5w337x7007h
2016-01-24, 08:44 PM
I'm making a Psion/Thrallherd, and I'm focusing his abilities on mental attacks, so I'm looking for advice on what kind of thrall would best help their master. Maybe a reach fighter playing guard dog, or a support caster that buffs the team?

I might end up weakening a caster I've used before, modify the spells, and utilize her as the thrall.

Malroth
2016-01-25, 02:02 AM
This very much depends on the Party Composition, If you have 3 fighters on your team A Reach Fighter would probably step on somebody's toes, Likewise if you have a bunch of support casters those would probably not be need much either. I myself would write some type of specalist in the area where the party is weakest, Wis focused Monk1 Druid X if we were lacking Detection or buffs, an Investigator if we needed a trap monkey, A Gunslinger if we needed ranged DPS, A Life Mystery Oracle if we needed a Healer . Ideally they should be slightly less optimized than the least Optimized party member and should only really stand out in the areas the rest of the party completely neglected or when it otherwise risks a TPK.

5w337x7007h
2016-01-25, 05:45 AM
Well, I've converted my previous character into a thrall. Turning her into a support sorc. Though my main issue is that I've made her stronger, but now she's stronger than my Thrallherd. He's core mind-effecting with a few powers elsewhere. I'm even debating between the telepathy discipline, and it's mindbender sub-discipline. Psionic focus for Mental Intrusion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion/psionic-disciplines/telepathy) or Impose Will (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion/psionic-disciplines/telepathy/mindbender).

I've effectively rewritten her as such.

Human Arcane Sorcerer 12
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 21 (without items)
Feats;
1 - Eschew Materials, Improved Initiative, Spell Focus (Conj)
3 - Greater Spell Focus (Conj)
5 - Persistent Spell
7 - Spell Penetration, Combat Casting
9 - Spell Focus (Ench)
11 - Greater Spell Focus (Ench)

After that I'd go with Greater Spell Penetration and Spell Focus (Trans), but focus on those three schools as a support caster.

Red Fel
2016-01-25, 09:50 AM
This very much depends on the Party Composition,

This. Fact is, if you fill an occupied space, you're stepping on toes, but if you try to fill a free space, you're playing two characters in major needed roles. There's a balance to be maintained, so you need to be careful.

In 3.5, I had a Thrallherd whose thrall was actually a butler. Like, proper. Warforged Warblade, straight up. Fought unarmed, so it needed no weapons, and Warforged, so it needed no armor. Simple, sturdy, hits like a truck and is hard to put down. Also impeccably polite, well-mannered, even-tempered, and he could fold a perfect crease every single time.

In PF, it's hard to find a race with as many broken immunities, but the class is easy - break open your copy of Path of War, and roll out a Warder. Then play his personality up as Walter C. Dornez, aka this guy:

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/ZA1G2p1rm4c/0.jpg

Yes, he is a butler. Yes, that is a murder-grin. Yes, that is weaponized monofilament wire.

That is exactly what you want in a thrall-butler. Crisp, prompt, just so, and highly murderous.

5w337x7007h
2016-01-25, 03:04 PM
This is a wonderful idea, thank you very much! Though I'm not really stepping on any toes since my sorcerer is the only full caster in the group that utilizes bfc. The other caster uses blast spells a lot more. That said, I'm just reworking my spell list to accommodate, because the list was originally more utility focused for summoning in minions, but that would be stepping on toes with the melee guys of the group. I'm rebuilding the list to focus on Conj, Ench, and Trans, looking to give my allies the benefit in a situation.

Though now I'm not sure if I need to reevaluate my list, because it's already pretty generic.

0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Ghost Sound, Acid Splash, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Resistance, Open/Close, Mending, Message.
1 - Magic Missile, Grease, Color Spray, Silent Image, Feather Fall, Prot from Evil, Enlarge Person, Identify(b)
2 - Glitterdust, Touch of Idiocy, Mirror Image, Resist Energy, Alter Self, Web, Pyrotechnics, Invisibility(b)
3 - Haste, Slow, Sleet Storm, Fly, Stinking Cloud, Fireball, Dispel Magic(b)
4 - Confusion, Stone Shape, Black Tentacles, Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Dimension Door(b)
5 - Wall of Stone, Teleport, Telekinesis, Overland Flight (b)
6 - Greater Dispel Magic

Though this is only to lvl 12.