PDA

View Full Version : Spheres of Power Spellcrafting question

Pyremius
2016-01-25, 12:37 AM
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding how Base Abilities and Talents interact with each other for spellcrafting. Is this correct? Specifically, is the Base Sphere ability Cure necessary, or would Revitalize modify the Aegis directly (I suspect not, since Reviatlize modifies healing, and the Aegis provides none). I know this isn't a particularly useful spell - Fast Healing 1 isn't going to keep a wizard alive in a fight and ~1/2 your spell points at level 4 is too high to be a good idea, but I've been trying to figure out where Spellcrafting would be beneficial (Tacking Dragon Transformation onto an Aegis sounded good, until I remembered that duration drops to 10 minutes per level, which is frequently no more useful then the native 1 minute per level I can get for 1 SP).

Base Sphere Ability: Aegis (1 hour / level, 1 SP, Standard Action)
Additional Base Talent: Armored Magic (+3 Armor AC)

Additional Sphere Ability: Cure (1 SP, +2 Complexity)
Additional Talent: Revitalize (1 minute / level, Fast Healing 1) (+1 Complexity)
Additional Talent: Greater Healing (+1 Complexity)

Total Complexity: 4 (+2 SP, 2 time increases)
Cost: 4 SP
Casting Time: 1 Round
Duration: 1 hour / level

Research:
3 days (3 talents)?
DC: 25 (5 x (2 Spheres + 3 Talents))

Spell effect:
The recipient of this spell gains a +3 Armor bonus to their AC (+1 per 5 levels of the caster), and Fast Healing 2 for one hour per level of the caster.

{Edit} re-counted the number of talents correctly.

This is something I stumbled up rather late at night, mostly because somewhere I realized I was looking at a spell that could (potentially) heal 4800 hit points at 4th level. The reality is, it doesn't seem all that practical right now - a Wizard probably won't get enough healing to be worthwhile, and nobody else wants an Armor bonus of 3 - I'd probably swap to the default Deflection Aegis to drop the cost to 3 SP, and wait until 5th level, to give a usable +2 bonus to the fighter (upping the Fast Healing to a maximum of 6000 hit points).

It actually looks like the healing is better done as a scroll: (Life Sphere (1) + Revitalize (1) + Greater Healing (1) + increase to 10 min/lvl (2) + increase to 1 hr/lvl (2)) * Caster 4 * 12.5gp = 350gp for Fast Healing 2 which lasts 4 hours. (75gp will get Fast Healing 1 for 1 hour - read before bed to gain 600HP while sleeping.)

stack
2016-01-25, 08:37 AM
I don't know that you would pay the extra cost for greater healing, since greater healing boosts your cute effects passively. Probably a good one for the ask me anything thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415365-The-Creator-of-Spheres-of-Power-Here-Ask-Me-Anything)

Lirya
2016-01-25, 09:39 AM
The DC is 25 (because 5 spheres or talents are involved), and the craft time is 5 days. Apart from that everything looks correct.

And Complexity is increased by Greater Healing because it is a talent that modifies the added sphere.

I personally like increasing the duration from 1 min./level to 10 min./level but that is because my groups usually prefer to heal up/search for loot after each encounter. Meaning 1 min./level only lasts for 1 encounter, while 10 min./level usually lasts for the whole dungeon.

My favorite uses of Spellcrafting is to save SP by creating Mass Aegis spells for buffing the whole party (Mass Deflection + Shield Aegis would cost 3 SP. 1 Base with +3 Complexity and +1 SP from Mass), increasing duration (Aegis with Haste effect (like the sample blessing of time spell), with the Heroism effect from the Mind Sphere, or with Flight from the Telekinesis Sphere are solid buffs), or adding SoL effects onto the Destruction Sphere (Steal Time is just evil, Sicken and Drain are both good choices). If you want to spellcraft revitalize onto Aegis, I think creating a Mass version using Group Heal (or a mass talent from another sphere) is a good choice. The party wide fast healing will take care of your between combat healing. If you do so, either remove the Aegis base effect or use one that buffs the whole party.

Also, I believe that the correct way to solve the spellcrafting when adding another effect to a blank Aegis (see Blessing of Time as a sample) is to reduce the Complexity by 2 (for removing a Base Sphere effect (the Deflection bonus to AC) from the spell), while you keep the 1 SP cost (basically paying for the 1 hour/level base duration). I am pretty sure the Greater Blessing of Time should cost 4 SP instead of 3 (which is what is printed in my book) because that spell should be Complexity 3 +3 SP from Aegis, Duration Increase, and Mass.

Pyremius
2016-01-25, 12:53 PM
My bad on the number of talents - I was copy/pasting some of the formatting from another attempt, and didn't clear all the data.

That said, here's the snippet I was working from "...takes 1 day of research per talent involved, at the end of which a caster must pass a Spellcraft check with a DC equal to 5 x the number of spheres and talents involved..." Since they only reference talents for research time, but both talents and spheres for DC, it should be three days for research and DC 25 total.

@Lirya - I'm not following your examples very well. The Base sphere determines number of targets and duration, and I can't find a reference to increasing duration. None of the Aegis options offer multiple targets so if we want the 1 hour / level base it's single-target only.