PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The rules & flavor justification of a Dragonwrought White Dragonspawn Kobold

Endarire
2016-01-25, 02:46 AM
Greetings, all!

Is there an officially-supported rules justification that permits a Dragonwrought Kobold (one who was hatched as a Dragonwrought creature and thus a creature of the Dragon type) who also has the White Dragonspawn template (which requires a type that isn't Dragon)?

Is there an of official flavor/fluff justification for this combo?

(Let's just assume this Kobold is going Loredrake because the GM is OK with it. Let's not discuss Loredrake here, only White Dragonspawn and Dragonwrought.)

Necroticplague
2016-01-25, 10:19 AM
Impossible. Kobolds can't be Dragonspawn because only humans and elves can be. You instead get Dragonspawn Abominations.

Werephilosopher
2016-01-25, 04:18 PM
Impossible. Kobolds can't be Dragonspawn because only humans and elves can be. You instead get Dragonspawn Abominations.

Dragonspawn abominations still have the dragonspawn template, they just get the dragonspawn abomination template on top of it.

IIRC, the character creation process has you choose race before feats, thus letting you start the game with a kobold who, rules-wise, took dragonspawn first, Dragonwrought second. Of course, it makes no sense fluff-wise, but that's RAW for you.

Endarire
2016-02-01, 11:45 PM
Based on Player's Handbook I page 6, a player chooses his character's race and class at the same time then later chooses feats. Mechanically, Dragonwrought White Dragonspawn Kobold works.

Taelas
2016-02-02, 01:12 AM
As I recall, the template is acquired, so you would be a dragonwrought kobold before you could become a dragonspawn. Can't recall if you are just outright forbidden to take the template if you are a dragon, though.

torrasque666
2016-02-02, 01:20 AM
As I recall, the template is acquired, so you would be a dragonwrought kobold before you could become a dragonspawn. Can't recall if you are just outright forbidden to take the template if you are a dragon, though.
Requires Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid. So Dragonwraught Kobolds are out, since they are Dragons, not Humanoids. And I'm relatively sure Kobolds have no established lore as being even slightly descended from Humans, so unless a DM rules otherwise, no Human Heritage to get around that either.