PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Panache + Awakened Mind + Insvisibility spell combo

Malknafein
2016-01-25, 07:30 AM
I found interesting combo for charismatic Rogue/Warlock multiclass:

1. As Swashbuckler Rogue, you have Panache ability. Panache allows you to make Persuasion check againt opponent`s Insight check to charm not-hostile creature or debuff hostile creature(disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you and can't make opportunity attacks against targets other than you).

2. As Rogue, you can take Experise in Persuasion skill.

3. As Great Old One Warlock you can communicate telephaticaly.

4. As Warlock, you can cast Invisibility. Only attacks and spells end spell`s effect, so, you can use Persuation skill and still be invisible.

As result, you can use your invisible whispers to charm almost any intellegent creature or debuff almost any intellegnt creature without blindsight/truesight. Works at levels 12+.

What do you think? Any ideas how to impove this build?

Corran
2016-01-25, 08:21 AM
At best case scenario, this works almost as the 14 level feylock's create thrall ability. And I say almost, because it will play a huge part how your DM rules that awakened mind works on NPCs. Worst case scenario the DM can refuse you to make a persuasion roll, saying that the NPC immediatelly becomes hostile (because of fear for this unknown voice in his head, or he has the NPC panic and thus act in a crazy manner, not allowing you to proceed with your plan of charming him). Or he could have you roll with disadvanatge, arguing that under these weird circumstances it is in order to do so. But even if the DM plays ball, the real problem lies elsewhere, and that is that the charmed condition itself is a very weak one (basically prohibits the charmed target from attacking you and you have advantage on your charisma checks with the charmed creature - this can be easily done by mask of many faces invocation and the cantrip friends, plus it is more fun to roleplay that, you can do all sort of stuff, like turning people against someone whose form you use). So although there is some nice synergy here, the end result is far from impressive. Create thrall (feylock 14) has some extra sauce, though far from impressive for the reasons already mentioned.

--------------------------------------------------

My favourite thing about rogue/warlock (from the little I have looked into it), is the combo Darkness + Devil's sight + cunning action (hide), coupled with expertise in stealth. Basically attack every round with advantage (good for spamming BB and adding on top of that whatever sneak attack dice you have, advantage guarantees that this is more efficient that TWF, plus you almost certainly will see BB's secondary effect get triggered for extra damage, as the enemy you hit will most likely move, assuming you go for enemies that dont have any of your allies near them, easy to pick your targets wisely as you have no fear of OAs). And use bonus action to hide, while moving without provoking OAs. You are practically untargetable, save from damage from AOE, for which you start as a rogue (dex saves), and at some point it is very likely that you will get evasion. For the most part, the fight between your blinded allies and the blinded enemies carries on normally when inside magical darkness, with few extra restrictions (though no advantage or disadvanatge on their attacks when those attacks dont involve you). The only real drawback is that it might hurt your party, IF there are party members that rely on things that get shut down when in darkness (eg spellcaster that mainly uses save spells, most of which dont work if he cant see the target, or a barbarian that relies heavily on reckless attack for his damage, etc). If this is the case, there is the alternative of rogue2/feylock7, who uses greater invisibility instead of darkness, though that takes several levels to set up. The good thing about darkness, is that you can have it as soon as level 5 (rogue2 for cunning action, warlock 3 for devil's sight and darkness spell). Personally I prefer a drow or tiefling for this build (or some other race with darkness as racial spellcasting), because then you can use darkness once per day without expending your limited warlock spell slots (plus you set it up one level earlier, ie rogue2/warlock 2). If you want to go melee, I suggest BB and more levels in rogue rather than warlock. If you want to go ranged, I suggest the feat sharpshooter, pact of the blade and thirsting blade invocation, and more warlock levels than rogue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Warlocks also have some nice utility for assassin builds. Mask of many faces, mask of myriad forms, pact weapon, and spells like invisibility, scrying and etherealness can set you up really nicely for a kill. You assassination damage is not bad, but it could be better, as far as oneshot-ing dangerous enemies goes.

ps: However you want to combine these two classes, 2 rogue levels and 3 warlock levels is probably going to be the base of any potential build, so I strongly suggest to be rogue 2/ warlcock 3 at character level 5. Personally, I prefer starting with rogue for dex saves (better than wis if you fight in darkness or invisible most of the time) and the extra skill, though starting as a warlock is not that much worse either.