PDA

View Full Version : Once in a Blue Moon - Homebrew thread (PEACH)

Prince Zahn
2016-01-25, 11:00 AM
Announcement: I'm looking for someone who could (and would) help me make a few monsters for my setting, perhaps discuss a few ideas with me as well. With your help I could get my setting to update faster, get a little more material out. PM me for more details, or just to ask a few questions. :smallsmile:

BLUE ☽ MOON - (HOMEBREW)

Below is a set of mechanics compatible with and dedicated to the Blue ☽ Moon Setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441826-Once-in-a-Blue-Moon-A-setting-premise-%28WIP%29), and is made to enhance the game and provide tools for anyone who wants to draw more mechanics out of the setting. reading the entire world building thread is optional for evaluating it's balance, though it is recommended, as it would certainly provide context., Please evaluate and Critique honestly, thank you.

Google Docs - Blue Moon (Homebrew) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ngdpAauxN89GGu2_BQqhR8zFOD_SwSryeeZr41rORKE/edit?usp=sharing)

Backgrounds:
Ghost
GHOST
You are deceased, only to return to the land of the living on nights of the blue moon. you might have been a guard who fell on duty, a rich merchant’s son who was mugged and killed by local bandits, or a old farmer who died peacefully in his sleep. Under the Guidance of father time, you must rediscover your origins and learn to overcome them.

CAUSE OF DEATH
newborn spirits rarely remember their pasts when they rise from their eternal sleep for the first time. It is up to each ghost to rediscover his past life, so that they may one day come to peace with it, or seek out closure. Take some time to think about who you were in life, what did you do? how did you die? What possession(s) might you have treasured most in life? Choose a cause of death or roll on the table below.

d8 Incident

Murdered by one or more mortals

Fell in war and buried here

Eaten by wolves or other creature

Natural disaster/accident

Death by a particular type of damage / element (cold, fire, electricity, poison, necrotic, etc.) or by magic

Disease or natural causes

tricked into peril

executed for a crime by authorities or emissary

FEATURE: MEMORY FROM THE PAST
As a ghost, you are a culmination of life energy, of a mortal spirit, and of memories. without a physical body, you can walk (or hover) through walls, and are imperceivable to mortals (sans children and animals). you can only interact with objects that bear sentimental value to another creature (known as Significance; see below), (metal coins, or gems never count, but herbs with a pleasant scent might). you are awake at night, when people dream, and you need to sleep come the dawn.
Finally, when you interact with an object which you owned in life that has Significance to your character from his life as a mortal, you can tap into an important memory shared with that object, which might serve as an important clue towards your origin. You can only do this once per such object.

SUGGESTED CHARACTERISTICS
Ghosts tend to resemble how they were at the prime of their lives, and can come from all walks of life, but tend to possess distinctive features that hint towards their cause of death, such as light wrinkles and grey hair on ghost who died of old age, or a detachable head for a ghost who was executed. For first time players in Blue ☽ Moon, It is also recommended to give your character an additional trait, ideal, bond or flaw from another background, which you can feasibly imagine your spirit having during his lifetime.

d8 Personality Traits

I can make a game out of anything I get my hands on.

I always look forward to making new friends.

Secretly, I feel empty without a body.

I enjoy teasing others.

I can be very possessive of what's mine.

Even in my afterlife, I am still impressed by material wealth.

I have an answer/question for everything

The fact that I am dead is difficult for me to grasp.

d6 Ideals

No Limits. I'm dead, I can do anything I want to. (Chaotic)

Retribution. Once I remember everything, I will have my vengeance on all who killed and wronged me. (Evil)

Knowledge. The secret to attaining power and prestige is to know all I can. (Neutral)

Glory. I will do anything in my power to make my leader proud of me. (Any)

Fairness. Living or dead, everyone deserves to be treated with respect. (Lawful)

Beauty. By learning of my the past, I'll better appreciate my future. (Good)

d6 Bonds

I had a significant other in my last life, how I wish for him/her to remember me, too.

When I died, I left loved ones behind. Once I know who they are, I will do anything to reach them.

I have befriended a mortal child, I visit him or her at every opportunity.

I am strongly drawn to my old special place.

Preserving the objects from my old life is more important than my afterlife.

The spirits refuse to give me an answer to a conundrum hidden in my past.I must find out myself.

d6 Flaws

I am terrified of discovering the horrific truth about myself.

my past contains a bloody feud that, if remembered, could respark our hatred.

I fixate too much on what others have that I don't, or on what I can't have.

I am addicted to the pleasures of living again, especially water and food.

I would tell a lie to avoid responsibility.

Secretly, I ally myself with evil spirits.

New mechanics
Significance
NEW RULE: SIGNIFICANCE
When you are a Ghost, everything in the material world that you can physically touch or speak to depends on whether it bears an aura of any kind (Magical, divine, aligned, or other such force), or if it has Significance. Significance is an abstract magical measure of an object's memories among mortals; it is neither Arcane nor divine in it's nature. Significance empowers the spirit within the object, the more significance an object attains, the more the spirit within it grows in strength. there are no known and proven methods to grant significance to an object, the object simply needs to share vital memories with mortals to attain even a little significance. objects rank in significance from Inanimate,Charm, Memento,Heirloom, Relic, and Entity. below are broad properties for each category.

d6
Significance
common properties
Examples

Inanimate
none
disposable objects, trash, common items that are usually taken for granted

Charm
Empathy (weak); Sentimental
a little child's doll, the cradle a mortal baby sleeps in, a lucky tunic.

Memento
Empathy (Medium); Memory Storing;
A wedding/engagement ring, family portraits, gifts cherished for a significantly long time,

Heirloom
Empathy (strong); Memory storing; Sentience
An ancestral blade, an pendant passed down for generations, an old home.

Relic
Empathy (Strong); Memory Storing; History storing; Sentience
Time Capsule, an old oak planted centuries ago, ancient discoveries buried for another time.

Entity
Empathy (Strong); history storing; Sentience; transcendence; Reverence
See: World building thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?441826-Once-in-a-Blue-Moon-A-setting-premise-%28WIP%29); Religion in the Valley

Significance Qualities:
Empathy. an object that shares a bond with an owner, allowing it to be touched or held by a ghost. when both a mortal and a ghost are touching the same object, A ghost can also use it to deliver an emotion to that mortal, if the Empathy is Weak, the ghost's emotion will very likely be felt to her as a passing notion. Objects with medium empathy or better allow a ghost to deliver clear emotions, as well as vocalize short messages that tend to come out vague, while strong empathy allows for clear messages to be delivered via the object, and allows for a mortal to speak and interact with ghosts in her presence..
a Memory Storing object can preserve up 1d10 minutes of valuable memories from each previous owners preserved within it. These memories can be instantly recalled by the object's owner(s), though such memories could also be extracted and viewed with the help of Father Time or Era, (for a fair donation).
History Storing. an object with this quality preserves any number of experiences from another time. and it preserves precious, key moments into the past or future. if brought to Father Time, he can manifest the object's tale and catch a glimpse into the distant past or future.
Sentience. the object is sentient, and can communicate emotions with other spirits in it's presence (but not with mortals), it can think and make decisions for itself, but can not move, speak or act on it's own without magic. It is, however, in control of abilities granted to it via significance, and might need to be persuaded or befriended before it shares any of it's memories.
Sentimental. an object with this quality counts as though it has the memory storing quality, but it has only 1d4 memories, which can only be viewed by it's original owner(s). if the owner is a ghost, she instantly recalls those memories when interacting with the object.
Transcendence. an object's spirit with this quality has attained so much significance, that it is free, abstract, and independent from a physical form. It has earned power among spirits and mortals alike as a symbol, with animistic powers of it's own.
Reverence. the spirit of this object can choose to attune to a mortal or spirit, granting it some degree of unique powers for the lesser spirit or mortal in return for it's loyalty and service. creatures attuned to an entity are known as Emissaries.

Feats:
Spectre
SPECTRE
Prerequisite: Ghost Background, Charisma 13 or higher

You’ve developed a rare talent among ghosts to possess the bodies of the mortals.

You can attempt to possess one humanoid that you can see within 5 feet of you. the creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw (DC equals 8 + your Charisma Modifier + Your Proficiency Bonus) or be possessed by you for 10 minutes; you then disappear, and the creature is incapacitated and loses control of its body. you now control the body, but you don’t deprive the creature of awareness. You can’t be targeted by any attack, spell, or other effect, except ones that turn undead, and you retain your alignment, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. you otherwise uses the possessed target’s statistics, but doesn’t gain access to the target’s knowledge, class features, or proficiencies. The possession lasts until the body drops to 0 hit points, you end it as a bonus action, the duration has expired, or you are turned or forced out by an effect like the dispel evil and good spell. When the possession ends, you reappear in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the body. Once you have possessed a creature, you can not do so again until you finish a long rest
You can touch and interact with mortals and objects with no Significance. You can also choose to make yourself visible to all mortals, instead of only to children, as a bonus action.
Once per turn, you can use your bonus action to fill your attacks with necrotic energy for 1 round, when you do, creatures you hit with melee weapon attacks can not recover hit points until the end of their next turn.

Prince Zahn
2016-01-25, 11:01 AM
Post reserved for additional content,

Prince Zahn
2016-01-25, 11:02 AM
Post reserved for monsters and additional content

Prince Zahn
2016-01-25, 11:04 AM
One last post reserved for additional setting content, just in case I need it.

-----------------------------------------------
You may post now, if you have something to say, if you think it is balanced, or anything else. (PEACH)

Prince Zahn
2016-03-16, 07:55 AM
Quick Announcement! I'm looking for someone who could (and would) help me make a few monsters for my setting, perhaps discuss a few ideas with me as well. With your help I could get my setting to update faster, get a little more material out. Send me a message (or post here) for more details, or just to ask a few questions.