PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I am looking for ideas for names for a Rebel Group.

Hogsy
2016-01-25, 11:03 AM
So I will soon start a new Pathfinder campaign as a DM(For the first time) and I am having trouble coming up with the name for a rebel group. It is currently named "The Burning Frontier" as their ideal is to destroy the concept of borders so the nations can truly unite together and prosper. Do any of you have any ideas on maybe a better name? I don't feel that satisfied by my choice and I can't think of something else!

Jonagel
2016-01-25, 12:50 PM
Any extra details on the group? How the formed? Who are the leaders? Anything about where they come from, if one specific area?

Is there a name of the continent, or maybe an old empire that use to rule over everything?

Cosmically speaking, is there any unifying religion, ideal plane of existence, or original Garden of Eden type thing?

GAAD
2016-01-25, 01:32 PM
The Resistance!
(I thought we agreed we were going to call ourselves, the "Azure City Underground".)
(I thought we were going with, "Sapphire Liberation Front".)
(I still prefer, "Rebel Alliance".)
OK, OK, name notwithstanding, we're here to free the slaves.

braveheart
2016-01-25, 01:56 PM
This sounds less like a rebellion, and more like a group bent on conquest. Granted they won't be imposing new leadership or taking over so much as just removing the leadership and letting anarchy reign.

How do they intend to fulfill their goal without killing all of the nobility (or at least getting them to renounce their claims to rule).

I would call the the [Continent] Unification Army, although methods might lean towards other thoughts

GrayDeath
2016-01-25, 02:01 PM
Why, the EU of course!
Swallowing more than it can chew, and without intention of stopping, since before your time!

:smallbiggrin:

But hey, why are you labelling us as Rebels? THat is a clear violation of the laws we established, lets put you in front of oour Court! ^^

More serious: What/Who are they "rebelling" agains? Is there a clear trend of the Continents states of clamping up, closing borders and such? Otherwise it sounds more like an udnerground conquering scheme to me, or a trade alliance bent on maximising profits.
If so, where did they start, and how widespread are they?
A bit more info would help us helping you. :)

GorinichSerpant
2016-01-25, 02:39 PM
The Anti-[insert name of establishment, widely accepted philosophy, religion, movement, or other something as appropriate for the setting that the rebels stand against]ists

Free World

The Nationless League

The Wings of [something]

Pan[name of continent]ists

Douche
2016-01-25, 02:42 PM
Militaires Sans Frontiers

Amaranthine
2016-01-25, 04:54 PM
So I will soon start a new Pathfinder campaign as a DM(For the first time) and I am having trouble coming up with the name for a rebel group. It is currently named "The Burning Frontier" as their ideal is to destroy the concept of borders so the nations can truly unite together and prosper. Do any of you have any ideas on maybe a better name? I don't feel that satisfied by my choice and I can't think of something else!Your concept isn't erasing borders, it is uniting everything within one border.
Which is pretty much the goal of every conqueror.

For a name:
The Fading Line

Perhaps a better name would be:
Order of the Fading Line

Quiver
2016-01-25, 05:16 PM
The Boundless Sky?

I mean...the sky doesn't have territory or borders, so...

Thisguy_
2016-01-26, 12:25 AM
Order of the Fading Line

Holy crap, I really like this one.

goto124
2016-01-26, 02:16 AM
Would they not have an inconspicuous name that doesn't scream Rebellion over here, arrest us now?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-01-26, 06:23 AM
The Empire?

'Cos, you know, that's kind of imperialism what they're doing.

Kardwill
2016-01-26, 09:05 AM
Would they not have an inconspicuous name that doesn't scream Rebellion over here, arrest us now?

Well, they need a name that will make them known and draw the people to their cause, especially in the last, open war part of their plan, so "Aunt Martha's philatelist club" is kinda out. :smallbiggrin:

"The Unifiers" or "the Unity Brotherhood" is simple and good, but sounds somewhat conquest-happy and ominous (good for a bad-guy-rebels conspiracy, though).
"The Wandering Companions", both to underline freedom of movement and unity?
The Free Men"?

Kardwill
2016-01-26, 09:09 AM
The Boundless Sky?

I mean...the sky doesn't have territory or borders, so...

I love this one! Reminds me of the "sloping heaven" sect in Qin.

Hogsy
2016-01-26, 05:09 PM
The name of my world is Gerona. There are 5 kingdoms who wish to wage war against one another for their own personal reasons but the general excuse for the war is that each one of them is the rightful ruler of Gerona. Besides the 5 kingdoms there are a bunch of independent cities that are ruled by mercenary, thieve's or trading guilds. One such city is the most powerful city in the continent and it is ruled by a council of extremely powerful and knowledgeable people so it's basically an oligarchy but it is close to hidden tyranny through propagandistic means. This council's "real" job is to keep the 5 kingdoms from waging war through diplomatic means. A bunch of people who were in the military of the city or had high government positions uncovered secrets documents that said that the council wanted to use their influence to crush the 5 kingdoms and have Gerona to their liking so despite seemingly trying to prevent war they're actually encouraging it through assassinations, bribes and other things that are along those lines. So they've figured this out and want to take a stand against them while in the meantime showing to the people of the 5 kingdoms that there is no need to go to war to prove who deserves Gerona the most but to unite and make sure they can all prosper. They know that the 5 kingdoms don't care about that idealistic crap and have their own reasons but if they can convince the people that there is no reason to go to war then the war will be avoided. My players will also be given a choice to either side with the rebels or give 0 craps and continue helping the council(it's what they will be doing in the first few sessions through simple missions). I'm loving the Boundless Sky and Fading Line ideas thus far. But I'm also liking the idea of "Unifiers" as I'm planning to create a conflict in the rebellion sometime in the future as to what their true goals are depending on player choices and whatnot. So basically the general idea is that the council wants a long-lasting peace through a sacrifice(a huge war would mean the death of countless people not to mention the destruction of many areas around Gerona) and the Rebels want pretty much the same thing but through low-risk low-reward covert missions and by taking the people with their side. Other than that, since the Council is being so secretive and manipulative they can't trust that their real goal is to create true peace. If you've played the Wildstar game my rebel alliance would basically be The Exiles. A bunch of rugrats who are good at heart but have questionable means of achieving their goals. It is perhaps even closer to the rebellion in the Jak&Daxter games. I just want to make it a good guys vs bad guys thing so my players can choose to side with who they truly believe is in the right without worrying too much about whether their alignment will shift. This is their leader(I just had to do it!) https://assets.vg247.com/current//2015/08/jax_4_concept_art-5.jpg