PDA

View Full Version : split personality game

Aliquid
2016-01-25, 12:34 PM
I just thought of an idea for a potentially interesting game scenario.

The characters start the game with some sort of strange event that causes a blank in their memory, and then this continues. The players run through the game for a session, but then when we meet to play the next session, a chunk of time has passed and their characters have no memory of it.

They might start the next session in the middle of combat and have no idea why, or where they are. They might run into someone who starts talking to them as if they know each other... but have no memory of meeting the person.

Here is the twist.

As a DM you do this to two sets of players (without any of them knowing this). So the events that take place during the memory blank isn't something you make up as a DM... it is the events that take place during a different gaming session with a different set of players. Both sets of players think that they are running the main characters, and that the memory blanks are some sort of anomaly.

That's about as much as I have thought about it so far. It just popped in my head.

Jonagel
2016-01-25, 12:45 PM
I know a friend who DMed something like this, except the players just made two PCs each -- easier to manage probably.
Each session they would change to the other character. I'm not too sure on how stats worked, but apparently it was a ton of fun.

If you could get 8 people to do this though, I think it would be a fantastic idea. More hijinks ensue if one party is good and the other evil. Maybe some magical event is slowly ripping their morality apart into two separate entities. Near the end of the campaign, they finally separate realizing what was happening, level up a few times going their separate roads, then gives a fun idea for a climactic battle...unless they team together to defeat something even bigger.

Only problem, is ensuring the two parties agree on the character they make, and how they level. Unless you tell them "You all come to in a room with a part of dead ogres around you. You quickly realize you all level while you were blacked out. Jerry, you now have a level in Barbarian!" "But I'm a Sorcerer!" D:
Either that, or you give them a list of possible characters to play as, ensuring things match up on session 1?

Aliquid
2016-01-25, 01:16 PM
Hmm I hadn't considered the impact of levelling... that could be tricky. It might just be that whoever happens to be playing when the character levels, gets to make the decisions. Although the DM would have to try to make sure it evens out as far as "turns"

That would be a bit crazy. "Oh, you levelled up during your last 'blackout'... here is your new character sheet"

Another thing that would be tricky for the DM would be keeping track of the characters belongings. Money spent, things bought/sold etc.

CharonsHelper
2016-01-25, 01:30 PM
If you're going with two separate groups, I'd suggest that there is a magical component to their split personalities.

For example: One group are all aasimar, and the other are all tieflings. (All of them related 2nd cousin or closer - so they share the same two ancestors which made it so - hence their shifting personas all being linked.) Apparently their conflicting heritages caused them to have a mental break - splitting their two heritages into their two personalities. (Happened at puberty when both heritages tried to come forth - tearing their psyches apart.)

It also gives a decent reason why their stats/classes aren't the same between the two groups, and it makes it so that not every NPC that both groups meet will recognize them. Sure - they look similar, but the tiefling version has horns, and the aasimar version has bright blue eyes and slight glow about him (as an example). "You four look familiar... never-mind."

Admittedly - it doesn't help much with the shared gear.

I actually did the split personality thing once (multiplicity personality disorder if I remember correctly) but it was just so that my buddy and I could co-DM. Whichever of us was Dm-ing, the character would be the other's personality and they'd play them. My half was actually blind, always wearing a face covering helmet, so the other characters didn't recognize him. (The fluff was that mine was the created personality, as the character's family was being killed in front of him, and his psyche couldn't handle seeing it. It worked with the Combat Focus & Keen Listener feats.)

Pyrous
2016-01-25, 02:21 PM
What happens if a PC dies?

Douche
2016-01-25, 02:47 PM
Why not just let both groups play whatever they want, carry whatever gear they want, etc. separately? Just carry over what they do and the results of their actions.

That way it can run smoothly and you can worry about the big picture, rather than micromanaging these tiny details that probably won't have an impact on the narrative anyway. Like, you may have to ensure that they each have an opposite in terms of race and gender, but other than that I dont see it mattering. If one of them casts a spell that has a large impact on the narrative, and the other doesnt have access to that spell, just handwave it as "one personality has knowledge of this spell that the other doesnt"

Aliquid
2016-01-25, 04:16 PM
Why not just let both groups play whatever they want, carry whatever gear they want, etc. separately? Just carry over what they do and the results of their actions.I don't think it would be as fun that way...

I guess it depends on your playing style. For me, a good game needs an in depth believable setting. Little details like that makes it seem more real.

What happens if a PC dies?
Then the PC is dead... and the other player comes to a gaming session to find out his character is dead.

Yeah... that would be a problem

Quiver
2016-01-25, 04:38 PM
Why not just have the players swap character sheets?

True, that ruins the surprise...but opens its own type of fun. Imagine trading sheets every few games and building a character around the pre-existing stats and gear.

Douche
2016-01-25, 04:48 PM
I don't think it would be as fun that way...

I guess it depends on your playing style. For me, a good game needs an in depth believable setting. Little details like that makes it seem more real.

Yeah, I guess I can see that... It's just that, in this hypothetical scenario, we don't know how the players feel about it.

They already seem down to do this split personality thing, so why don't you ask them which way they want to do it? If they're on board with micromanaging the items, spell slots, character progression, etc then do it - you can even just let them take care of it amongst themselves. If they want to do it for the story, but would rather only worry about their own stuff mechanically, then do it the way I suggested.

CharonsHelper
2016-01-25, 07:12 PM
My only idea with the gear is to change the world to make it so that any magic gear has to be attuned to a specific person, and that requires a significant investment. (maybe 1/4 the cost of the item) Count their personalities as separate people.

Maybe make it true only beyond +1 or some such so that they don't cast Detect Magic and find out the weirdness. (So - they both use that mithril rapier, but for the duelist it's a +4 weapon, and for the archer it's only a +1 secondary weapon.)

It'd probably work okay if the group started out at level 4-5ish, and for the second group you tell them the non-magic gear that they have. *shrug*

Aliquid
2016-01-25, 07:23 PM
Maybe make it true only beyond +1 or some such so that they don't cast Detect Magic and find out the weirdness. (So - they both use that mithril rapier, but for the duelist it's a +4 weapon, and for the archer it's only a +1 secondary weapon.)
I would probably use a very basic gaming rules system... one where there only are 4 or 5 classes etc. That way I wouldn't really have to worry about the players wanting to go different directions with their character stats.

goto124
2016-01-26, 02:20 AM
Why not just let both groups play whatever they want, carry whatever gear they want, etc. separately? Just carry over what they do and the results of their actions.

So it's like identical twins going around with separate (though identical) bodies, levels, equipment, etc. But no one knows they're different people, and thinks they're one and the same.

Seems the easiest way so far.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-26, 06:41 AM
So it's like identical twins going around with separate (though identical) bodies, levels, equipment, etc. But no one knows they're different people, and thinks they're one and the same.

Seems the easiest way so far.

That is easier, and more subtle, but maybe not quite as mysterious. You start the session exactly where you left off, but people treat you like stuff happened, fight club style. At the end of session one you're partying in the inn, at the start of session two the guards show up to arrest you. And with some trying you could even keep both groups on the same clock.

Aliquid
2016-01-26, 11:56 AM
The main theme I'm trying to go for is the mystery. 22 hours just passed and you have no idea what happened. Where are you? Who are these people around you? Why is that big guy giving you a dirty look? What happened to your sword, and where did you get this axe?

It would be interesting to see how each group deals with this. Do they start stashing away their money to make sure they know where it is when they 'regain consciousness'? Do they start writing notes to their selves? How would the other group of players respond to these notes?

It's funny. A lot of the solutions people are suggesting are taking away from the feel of the game that I am imagining. I guess the phrase is "it's not a bug, it's a feature" ;)

Although, it looks like I am a minority in thinking that this sort of game would be fun to play under these conditions. Which is probably why I find it hard to find games that I really like (table top or video games)... I'm a niche market.

CharonsHelper
2016-01-26, 12:10 PM
The main theme I'm trying to go for is the mystery. 22 hours just passed and you have no idea what happened. Where are you? Who are these people around you? Why is that big guy giving you a dirty look? What happened to your sword, and where did you get this axe?

I figured that was the theme that you were going for, but I don't think that it's enough to be the only pillar of an RPG session.

The gear issue would be less annoying in a system which is less gear dependent, but in D&D your gear, especially as a martial, is a huge part of your character's power level.

For the NPCs noticing, the mystery would be figured out really quickly if they looked exactly the same and ran into the same people. The only reason that trope can work as long as a 1hr TV show is when they go out of their way to make the characters clueless and ignoring obvious hints, often to make the audience feel clever. Especially in this situation with blackouts where the players KNOW something is up, they'll just confront an NPC and get the story pretty quick.

Mainly though, while I think that the mystery could be an interesting theme, I don't think that it can be the driving force of an RPG campaign for more than a session or two.

Douche
2016-01-26, 12:12 PM

It would be interesting to see how each group deals with this. Do they start stashing away their money to make sure they know where it is when they 'regain consciousness'? Do they start writing notes to their selves? How would the other group of players respond to these notes?

It's funny. A lot of the solutions people are suggesting are taking away from the feel of the game that I am imagining. I guess the phrase is "it's not a bug, it's a feature" ;)

Although, it looks like I am a minority in thinking that this sort of game would be fun to play under these conditions. Which is probably why I find it hard to find games that I really like (table top or video games)... I'm a niche market.

It sounds like you already have your mind made up. We were trying to simplify it cuz it sounded like you were stressing out on how to implement this, but if you want to task 2 groups of people to share 1 pool of resources then you're all set.

I personally would find it more of an annoyance to sit down and learn that all my spell slots are gone. Also, how are you going to rationalize 5 people all switching personalities at the exact same time (magic I guess) meanwhile not realizing they all have split personalities within like a week?

Kol Korran
2016-01-26, 12:15 PM
I think this may be quite an interesting premise, but you'll the players to put a lot of trust in you, and be willing to give up control,which requires a certacertain mentality and approach to the game.

Another problem, is that after about 2-3 sessions, I fully expect both groups to focus all of their energy in solving this. An different the game has high magic/ power, than it is quite likely they would find some sort of a solution, which might make one party lose it's game. Of it's meant to be short, thenough there is no problem. But if not...

Still, might be interesting... though frankly, I just don't see it happening. Most groups will pose just too Mich difficulty with this idea, even if it is just "why the he'll are we cutting our gaming frequency in half all of a sudden?"

JNAProductions
2016-01-26, 01:13 PM
It's a cool idea. The issue is implementing it.

Aliquid
2016-01-26, 01:15 PM
I figured that was the theme that you were going for, but I don't think that it's enough to be the only pillar of an RPG session.Well no, there would have to me a mission that both groups are trying to address at the same time. Maybe some sort of an "escape before X happens", to put pressure on them to focus on the escaping process not just "lets sit down and figure out what's happening to us".

The gear issue would be less annoying in a system which is less gear dependent, but in D&D your gear, especially as a martial, is a huge part of your character's power level.I am in no way attached to D&D.

For the NPCs noticing, the mystery would be figured out really quickly if they looked exactly the same and ran into the same people. The only reason that trope can work as long as a 1hr TV show is when they go out of their way to make the characters clueless and ignoring obvious hints, often to make the audience feel clever. Especially in this situation with blackouts where the players KNOW something is up, they'll just confront an NPC and get the story pretty quick. Oh, I expect the players will figure out that something is wrong within the first session or two. They would quickly realize that during their "blackouts" the characters are still doing things... but they won't know what is happening or why, and they won't know how to fix it or deal with it. They won't know how to achieve their other goals with this "handicap"

It sounds like you already have your mind made up. We were trying to simplify it cuz it sounded like you were stressing out on how to implement this, but if you want to task 2 groups of people to share 1 pool of resources then you're all set.No, not stressing out at all... I was hoping that I would come across others who saw a similar potential and would add depth to the idea.

I personally would find it more of an annoyance to sit down and learn that all my spell slots are gone. Also, how are you going to rationalize 5 people all switching personalities at the exact same time (magic I guess) meanwhile not realizing they all have split personalities within like a week?Rationalize... still working on that. That's the sort of thing I was hoping to brain-storm on. I do want them to realize they have split personalities. Dealing with it is the challenge.

I think this may be quite an interesting premise, but you'll the players to put a lot of trust in you, and be willing to give up control,which requires a certacertain mentality and approach to the game. Yes it would take a certain type of player. I have played with groups that can handle this sort of thing though. I remember being a player in a game where my character was a commoner with zero equipment, but it was still fun.

Another problem, is that after about 2-3 sessions, I fully expect both groups to focus all of their energy in solving this.Yes, that is a good point. Having a time sensitive mission that they are working on will help limit that.

An different the game has high magic/ power, than it is quite likely they would find some sort of a solution, which might make one party lose it's game.Another good point. The game would have to be medium or low magic/power.

ComaVision
2016-01-26, 02:01 PM
How would you stop the characters from writing notes to themselves? That seems to be the easiest way for them to mitigate damage to themselves.

Douche
2016-01-26, 02:04 PM
How would you stop the characters from writing notes to themselves? That seems to be the easiest way for them to mitigate damage to themselves.

Yeah, one of the first things that came to mind was the film "Memento"

Aliquid
2016-01-26, 02:53 PM
How would you stop the characters from writing notes to themselves? That seems to be the easiest way for them to mitigate damage to themselves.I wouldn't stop them from writing notes to themselves. It would be quite interesting what they say, and what the other players write in return. And it would be interesting to see if there was a power struggle. Each set of players trying to take control and dictate what the other players do. How they should reach their overall goal etc.

The players would still not know that the "second personality" running their characters were actual players. They would assume it was the DM putting it together and making it up.

I am in no way trying to stop them from knowing there is a second personality, or from trying to work with it. The mystery is why and working with it. The twist is that it is based on real players.

Take the game Planescape: Torment (I loved that game). As a player it doesn't take you long to realize that your main character can't die. The mystery is why. The plot of the entire game is figuring out why.

goto124
2016-01-27, 01:39 AM
How would you stop the characters from writing notes to themselves?

Nothing. Except it may not be as effective as intended, especially if it turns to a disagreement.

"Dear me, don't rob the bank. Regards, other me."
"Dear other me, didn't listen, got $7821 (attached). Love, me."

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-28, 07:09 AM
You could alternatively go with some sort of teleporter accident kind of plot. The two groups of players are quantum entangled (come up with a slightly more magicky term) and now they turn into a completely different person every so often. The two groups cannot exist at the same time (until they sort things out).

It's probably not nearly as cool to find out as that you have an alternate personality, but it would get rid of the thing where half your character was build by someone else.

gtwucla
2016-01-28, 08:04 AM
I think it's a great idea. And the characters doing things like writing notes to themselves to try and fix it would be fun. My question is, would the point of the campaign be to solve a mystery that stops the black outs or is it just something happening while you go through campaigns?

As far as leveling, it could be alright having whomever is present to do the leveling choices and the next group discover what had happened. But if you're not attached to D&D why don't you just not level the characters? Pick a good level and stick with it.

CharonsHelper
2016-01-28, 11:34 AM
As far as leveling, it could be alright having whomever is present to do the leveling choices and the next group discover what had happened. But if you're not attached to D&D why don't you just not level the characters? Pick a good level and stick with it.

A point-buy system might work pretty well. Have each player earn/spend the points separately, and every so often at the start of a session a player will find out that their character has been upgraded somehow. Bonus!

This keeps their characters linked, but prevents the players from being annoyed when their characters are leveled 'wrong'.

Aliquid
2016-01-28, 09:15 PM
You could alternatively go with some sort of teleporter accident kind of plot. The two groups of players are quantum entangled (come up with a slightly more magicky term) and now they turn into a completely different person every so often. The two groups cannot exist at the same time (until they sort things out).Yes, that could work. Teleporting, or possibly travelling to another plane of existence or something of that nature...

I think it's a great idea. And the characters doing things like writing notes to themselves to try and fix it would be fun. My question is, would the point of the campaign be to solve a mystery that stops the black outs or is it just something happening while you go through campaigns?It could go either way. Solving the mystery and undoing it could be the point of the campaign. There would have to be some sort of time pressure though so they actually don't just say "oh well". Maybe "if you don't fix it within X timeframe, it will become permanent"

As far as leveling, it could be alright having whomever is present to do the leveling choices and the next group discover what had happened. But if you're not attached to D&D why don't you just not level the characters? Pick a good level and stick with it.That could work. Focus more on gathering items to improve your character and abilities.

A point-buy system might work pretty well. Have each player earn/spend the points separately, and every so often at the start of a session a player will find out that their character has been upgraded somehow. Bonus!

This keeps their characters linked, but prevents the players from being annoyed when their characters are leveled 'wrong'.That could work too. Adds to the mystery but in a good way rather than an annoying way.

Geostationary
2016-01-28, 09:22 PM
Alternatively, you could just run Everyone Is John in a fantasy context.

Surpriser
2016-01-29, 08:54 AM
One other option that has not been mentioned:
Tell only one of the two groups.

Admittedly, that takes away some of the mystique for them, but you still don't have to tell them exactly what happened and how to deal with it.
Something like:
"Guys, for this next campaign, your characters realize that they ended up in the body of someone else. Here are the character sheets available, please pick one."
And at the start of the next session, they notice that the other personalities actually are still present in these bodies and acted while they were away. Alternatively, you could even tell them that other players will play these characters independently to justify their reduced agency in character creation and building.
Of course, the players have to be okay with that, but depending on the system and scope, this might not be a problem at all. (D&D is probably not ideal for this, but can work if you limit the campaign to one or only a few levels)

Independently of this, I would give both groups similar goals, that diverge in some important details.
For example, both groups have to stop the BBEG, but while the originals try to destroy the artifact in his possession, the other group tries to acquire it for themselves or their clients.
That way, there will be an incentive to work together (it should be clear that if they don't, both groups will lose), but (if they even figure it out in time) also a competition between the groups, potentially leading to situations like one group desperately trying to finish a fight before the end of the session so that they can keep the other group from foiling their mission.