PDA

View Full Version : Rune Scribe Prestige Class

Tragic_Comedian
2016-01-25, 04:07 PM
My character leveled up last session. My wizard is now 5th level and after finding a rare rune in a dungeon, meets all the prerequisites for the Rune Scribe (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/prestige-classes-and-rune-magic) prestige class. I'm just wondering whether or not I should actually take levels in it. Has anyone on here tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

TaiLiu
2016-02-13, 11:22 PM
Oh, wow. You're posting again. :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2016-02-14, 12:04 PM
Conventional wisdom says it's underwhelming. I think I have to agree only insofar as the presentation and suggest it's actually surprisingly well-crafted, and you could reasonably take 1, 2, 4, or 5 levels of the class. 1 grants you one rune for sure if the DM agreed to let you take it, 2 grants you two runes for sure so you have an elemental mix. 3 isn't bad, but if you're in that deep, go for another to get the psuedo-ASI at 4. 5 frees up a magic item slot.

Well, if you're an elementalist, the runes each add up to:

27.7% more damage with d6s (28.6% more when combined with elemental adept) (compared to 4.8% increase from elemental adept alone).

29.1% more damage with d8s (29.6% more when combined with elemental adept) (compared to 2.8% increase from elemental adept alone).

30.0% more damage with d10s. (30.2% more when combined with elemental adept) (compared to 1.8% increase from elemental adept alone).

If you're melee (I know you're a Wizard, but just saying in general) it's a guaranteed source of at least a +1 to Attack and Damage, up to a +2 -- I don't think anyone will sacrifice a spell high enough level to get a +3. It also allows you to play with damage vulnerability and resistance not quite at will, but pretty close.

I think it's a bit maligned, basically, and I'd say it could be easily tweaked to cover the one or two classes that it doesn't presently work for all that well.