PDA

View Full Version : How are we not discussing this

grandpheonix
2016-01-25, 11:13 PM
What creature was V planning on locating? How will this impact the story? What level spell is that? How does it work?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-25, 11:20 PM
It's probably just left over from back when V was trying to locate Haley in Don't Split the Party.

Terrador
2016-01-25, 11:26 PM
It was actually a scroll V was only recently scribing, so it certainly isn't a leftover from DStP.

My best guess is that it's a contingency for Haley to carry; I don't think V's ego is so great to think the most important, urgent thing he does in his life won't be in this quest for the Gate, so if he gets isolated and taken over, he can be found. Or something--I'm not half so confident about the specifics as I am that it's a measure to account for the IFCC's interference.

Mando Knight
2016-01-25, 11:28 PM
It's probably just left over from back when V was trying to locate Haley in Don't Split the Party.

It was a scroll that V "just finished", which would rule that out.

It could just be that V is scribing scrolls as a way to make a little use (money or otherwise) out of otherwise-wasted spell slots each day. A wizard should always keep a stash of scrolls that have situational use, so that a particular spell is available when needed without spending a critical spell slot on it.

DaggerPen
2016-01-25, 11:53 PM
Iirc, someone in the main discussion thread posited that they could be using it to help rendezvous with Team Paladin once they get to the Gate. V may also still be trying to track down Serini. Or it may have been prepared as a general contingency for the next time the party gets separated through complicated circumstance and can't easily reunite.

rodneyAnonymous
2016-01-26, 02:05 AM
This spell functions like locate object, except this spell locates a known or familiar creature.

You slowly turn and sense when you are facing in the direction of the creature to be located, provided it is within range. You also know in which direction the creature is moving, if any.

Probable targets include O'Chul, Lien, Serini, Xykon, and Redcloak.

Draconi Redfir
2016-01-26, 03:22 AM
so "creature" can target humans? H'uh, thought it only targeted animals.

Douglas
2016-01-26, 03:33 AM
so "creature" can target humans? H'uh, thought it only targeted animals.
No, anything specific to animals will actually say "animal". "Creature" means pretty much anything that can move under its own power and isn't a constructed device.

Vinyadan
2016-01-26, 03:45 AM
It's to find out where those messenger birds actually went.

Quild
2016-01-26, 05:46 AM
Locate Creature can easily be blocked and merely gives the direction of the creature you're trying to locate and works for quite short distances (400 feet + 40/level).

It's quite useless when the creature is in a dungeon. Especially if it's a maze.

I'm not sure if Xykon has Cloister cast upon him since he left Gobbotopia. But considering he cared about casting the spell in a first place, he may well have some protections against localisation.

So if I had to bet on: "Will V explain how the scroll was important to their plan and/or craft another one s/he will use as intended", I'd bet "No".

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-26, 02:09 PM
So if I had to bet on: "Will V explain how the scroll was important to their plan and/or craft another one s/he will use as intended", I'd bet "No". Given that it's V ... V may use three frames to explain.

theasl
2016-01-26, 11:48 PM
Given that it's V ... V may use three frames to explain.

You mean three strips, right? :smallbiggrin:

But yes, I think it's probably irrelevant.

Antipode
2016-01-27, 12:41 AM
My guess would be that after the separation that occurred in the last dungeon, Vaarsuvius might have been taking some precautions against that happening again - or at least knowing where someone might be in the event it did happen again.

ChillerInstinct
2016-01-27, 01:29 PM
My money's on Serini, considering V's been trying, and failing, to contact her magically. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0990.html) If I had to guess, the plan was that if they couldn't get into contact with her by the time they got near the gate themselves, they'd use the scroll to find her exact location and meet her in person, assuming she's still alive.

littlebum2002
2016-01-27, 02:43 PM
What creature was V planning on locating? How will this impact the story? What level spell is that? How does it work?

Rule #1 of being a wizard is "be prepared for anything"
Rule #2 of being a wizard is "if you are caught unprepared for a situation, make sure it doesn't happen again".

If you're party gets in trouble because one half wasn't able to get in contact with the other half, a good path to take for the future is to get members of your party to invest in UMD ranks and get them Locate Creature scrolls.

RicB76
2016-01-27, 04:44 PM
It's got to be exploding runes. :smallcool:

mouser9169
2016-01-27, 07:18 PM
I'm in the "be prepared" school on this one.

With everything that's happened to her, I'd bet V is just scribing every spell she knows for 'just in case' situations that may or may not ever come up. Keep in mind that Haley can use scrolls and wands better than most wizards and even Elan can probably use the simpler ones in a pinch.

There's a reason wizards start off with the 'scribe scroll' feat.

Storm_Of_Snow
2016-01-28, 08:07 AM
Maybe the party got a (partial) list of what creatures Serini brought in to protect Kraagor's gate, and know that one type in particular is guarding the gate itself.

So long as whoever casts the spell has seen an example of that type of creature up close, they can find it (and Serini explictly mentions Purple Worms in her Crayons of Time bit, and the entire party spent a few hours riding on one, within the last couple of weeks).

I'm in the "be prepared" school on this one.

With everything that's happened to her, I'd bet V is just scribing every spell she knows for 'just in case' situations that may or may not ever come up. Keep in mind that Haley can use scrolls and wands better than most wizards and even Elan can probably use the simpler ones in a pinch.

There's a reason wizards start off with the 'scribe scroll' feat.

There's actually two reasons to scribe the scroll - the first is so Haley can use it, the second is so V doesn't have to prepare the spell that day and can use the slot for something else.

But I doubt V's scribing every spell V knows - it's not cheap, it takes a day per scroll for anything 6th level and under (Locate Creature's 4th level), and it'll chip away at V's XP total.