PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Druid Progression. Where to go?

GenericClone
2016-01-26, 03:19 AM
So I currently have a character that is druid 8/Natures Warrior 3/Barbarian 1 who wild shapes into a Large Treant (Through Enhanced Wild Shape for Plant) I'm looking for where to progress to from there.

Fist of the forest is a no go, I don't have the feats to make that worth it at all.
Something that allows me to add my con to AC would be nice, barring that I may get Beastskin Dragonhide Plate and take a class that is proficient in Heavy Armor.

Sword Sage may be an option as Wis to AC is also a good idea, and gaining discipline focus on my attacks. However I don't know how well that would really work.

I'm sure people will just say keep going druid. Obviously a good idea because it's a great class... But I don't need anymore wild shape or spell casting.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ApologyFestival
2016-01-26, 09:49 AM
Something that allows me to add my con to AC would be nice[...]
Constitution to AC would be nice, but maybe not worth investing class levels into since druids can so easily get ludicrous AC with minimal investment.

[...]barring that I may get Beastskin Dragonhide Plate and take a class that is proficient in Heavy Armor.
No need to gain heavy armour proficiency. Grab the highest AC armour available at your table that does not forsake your druidic vows and put the wild enchantment on it (+3 equivalency). That will allow you to keep the AC bonus whilst in wild shape, but you will not take any of the penalties that come with non-proficiency, nor will you suffer the armour check penalty. Do the same with a tower shield.

Sword Sage may be an option as Wis to AC is also a good idea, and gaining discipline focus on my attacks. However I don't know how well that would really work.
A monk's belt will give you Wisdom +1 to AC. Edit: No discipline in Tome of Battle has natural weapons as a related weapon, so discipline focus is a dead end.

I'm sure people will just say keep going druid. Obviously a good idea because it's a great class... But I don't need anymore wild shape or spell casting.
Well... no, you don't need it, but it's flat-out the best choice you have. All those things you said you that want, you can get from druid, whilst continuing to advance some of the best class features in the game. So, while it may not be what you want to hear, it's hard to offer any suggestions for alternatives. Not much can compare to advancing animal companion, spellcasting, and wild shape.

If you think this is a little boring and cookie-cutter, you're not considering all the exciting things you could do with your feats when they're not sunk on prestige class requirements, not to mention druid spells, and a beefier animal companion.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-26, 10:01 AM
Well, if you want to turn into a tree and beat people, I suggest Warshaper to further your level progression. Immunity to crits, fast healing, improved reach, +4 str and con. All these things are really good.

Troacctid
2016-01-26, 02:06 PM
Edit: No discipline in Tome of Battle has natural weapons as a related weapon, so discipline focus is a dead end.

That's not true. Claws are a Tiger Claw weapon.

ApologyFestival
2016-01-26, 03:00 PM
That's not true. Claws are a Tiger Claw weapon.
Ah, you're right. I'd still consider weapon focus (claw) a bum deal (edit: especially for treants, who do not have claw attacks), and gaining Wisdom to damage rolls when initiating Tiger Claw strikes isn't worth four swordsage levels, in my opinion. But, it is better than nothing, and a means of leveraging (presumably) high wisdom, at a cost of arresting the druid class features. A level in swordsage would give the OP's character an initiator level of 7, entitling them to 4th-level maneuvers.

If this is the route you choose to take, consider getting light armour barding for your chosen form, so that you get the swordsage's AC bonus feature at level 2. A monk's belt is better, though, and unfortunately the two AC bonuses do not stack, since one requires being unarmoured, and the other requires wearing light armour--not light armour or being unarmoured.

GenericClone
2016-01-26, 04:15 PM
Constitution to AC would be nice, but maybe not worth investing class levels into since druids can so easily get ludicrous AC with minimal investment.

No need to gain heavy armour proficiency. Grab the highest AC armour available at your table that does not forsake your druidic vows and put the wild enchantment on it (+3 equivalency). That will allow you to keep the AC bonus whilst in wild shape, but you will not take any of the penalties that come with non-proficiency, nor will you suffer the armour check penalty. Do the same with a tower shield.

Great Idea, though I won't do it with a tower shield, thats a little too minmaxy for my tastes

A monk's belt will give you Wisdom +1 to AC.

first thing I looked at, Should have mentions that monks are a no go, so this item doesn't exist in the campaign

Well... no, you don't need it, but it's flat-out the best choice you have. All those things you said you that want, you can get from druid, whilst continuing to advance some of the best class features in the game. So, while it may not be what you want to hear, it's hard to offer any suggestions for alternatives. Not much can compare to advancing animal companion, spellcasting, and wild shape.

If you think this is a little boring and cookie-cutter, you're not considering all the exciting things you could do with your feats when they're not sunk on prestige class requirements, not to mention druid spells, and a beefier animal companion.

It's more like I want to make the character more of a strait BSF and I don't think I'll be using my animal companion as I'm not a fan of them and I hate my turn taking forever as I do all my actions then theirs... plus it is currently 4 levels behind in progression. Though I am still debating it as it is still a great option.

Well, if you want to turn into a tree and beat people, I suggest Warshaper to further your level progression. Immunity to crits, fast healing, improved reach, +4 str and con. All these things are really good.

Forgot to mention Warshaper, was also one of the first things I looked at. I really like the class and I already meet the prerequisites. When I looked at it earlier it didn't work with my build but I am thinking that it may be a good option again. I already have immunity from crits and stunning with being a treant however.

Ah, you're right. I'd still consider weapon focus (claw) a bum deal (edit: especially for treants, who do not have claw attacks)

I do have claws as I use Girallons Blessing from SC in combat which gives me 4 claw attacks all at my highest BAB. Which is why I thought it may be worth it.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-26, 05:43 PM
I don't think wildshape grants plant traits even if you turn into a plant. You remain a humanoid, despite looking like a plant.

GenericClone
2016-01-26, 05:54 PM
I don't think wildshape grants plant traits even if you turn into a plant. You remain a humanoid, despite looking like a plant.

You are correct. I thought wild shape specified in the errata that you gain the type as well. But it does not.

I am probably going to go ahead and go Druid 9/Warshaper 4/FoF 3 and change up the build a little. I think i'll get the most out of it.

eggynack
2016-01-27, 12:42 AM
True, though you may or may not gain said traits by using something like enhance wild shape or master of many forms to get Ex abilities. May because plant traits are sometimes listed as Ex abilities, and may not cause it's a really weird result.