PDA

View Full Version : Medium Sized Flying Animal Companion?

Yogibear41
2016-01-26, 04:07 AM
Are there any good medium sized flying animal companions, other than the dire hawk in races of the wild. Need something that can be used as a flying mount for a small druid.

Inevitability
2016-01-26, 04:26 AM
You could take the Child of Winter and Vermin Companion feats, then take a giant bee as animal companion.

Also, there's the Sail Snake in Monster Manual IV.

Tiri
2016-01-26, 04:34 AM
You could take the Child of Winter and Vermin Companion feats, then take a giant bee as animal companion.

You could just use the Vermin Companion ACF from the WoTC website if you want a giant bee.

URL: archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a

Darrin
2016-01-26, 05:53 AM
Dire Hawk, MM2.

Inevitability
2016-01-26, 08:02 AM
Dire Hawk, MM2.

I see what you did there. :smallwink:

Darrin
2016-01-26, 10:09 AM
I see what you did there. :smallwink:

You mean, completely fail to read all of the OP?

Desmodu Hunting Bat is medium (also MM2).

The Dungeonbred template could also be added to some large animals... Pteranadon (Serpent Kingdoms) for example. Dire Vulture (Sandstorm). Dungeonbred griffons, hippogriffs, pegasi, and manticores should be possible.

nedz
2016-01-26, 10:40 AM
You could take the Elemental Companion ACF and grab an Air Elemental: it will be medium sized from level 5.

Khedrac
2016-01-26, 10:47 AM
The Dungeonbred template could also be added to some large animals... Pteranadon (Serpent Kingdoms) for example. Dire Vulture (Sandstorm). Dungeonbred griffons, hippogriffs, pegasi, and manticores should be possible.
Whilst it can be added, they would not be viable Animal Companions as they would no longer be "typical" animals of their type...

Inevitability
2016-01-26, 01:23 PM
You mean, completely fail to read all of the OP?

Yogibear said he wanted medium flying animal companions other than RotW's Dire Hawk. You suggest MM2's Dire Hawk. Technically, you did as asked. :smallwink:

Whilst it can be added, they would not be viable Animal Companions as they would no longer be "typical" animals of their type...

Trivial solution: kill all other griffons. Once only dungeonbred griffons are left, they're obviously 'typical' members of their species.

Red Fel
2016-01-26, 01:28 PM
Trivial solution: kill all other griffons. Once only dungeonbred griffons are left, they're obviously 'typical' members of their species.

This is perfectly rational thinking of which the world needs more. As a general rule, "kill all of the X" is one of the most straightforward and direct methods of problem solving, right alongside "use more fire."

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36939543/images/1419412916877.gif

Not being facetious. I like this solution.

FocusWolf413
2016-01-26, 02:08 PM
This is perfectly rational thinking of which the world needs more. As a general rule, "kill all of the X" is one of the most straightforward and direct methods of problem solving, right alongside "use more fire."

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/36939543/images/1419412916877.gif

Not being facetious. I like this solution.

You should tell that to my party. Such party poopers. Whenever I try to set my enemies on fire, they're all "Nooo, you can't use fire here," "Arson is illegal," and "Dammit genocide is not the answer."

Red Fel
2016-01-26, 02:58 PM
You should tell that to my party. Such party poopers. Whenever I try to set my enemies on fire, they're all "Nooo, you can't use fire here," "Arson is illegal," and "Dammit genocide is not the answer."

They're right. Genocide isn't always the answer.

Sometimes, "Just kill a lot of them" is sufficient.

FocusWolf413
2016-01-26, 04:49 PM
They're right. Genocide isn't always the answer.

Sometimes, "Just kill a lot of them" is sufficient.

I never stop at merely satisfactory. I like to challenge myself. Shoot for the stars. Kill all of those pesky elves. Constantly hone my skills.

I didn't become an adventurer because I was pretty okay. I became an adventurer because I am incredible.

Khedrac
2016-01-27, 07:20 AM
Nice idea, but it won't work. Once you have killed all of the other griffons the 'typical' member of the species is 'dead'.

Inevitability
2016-01-27, 08:24 AM
Nice idea, but it won't work. Once you have killed all of the other griffons the 'typical' member of the species is 'dead'.

That's the case any way, no matter how many griffons you kill. A species that has existed for thousands of years has to consist of more dead than living individuals, unless it's got a really long lifespan.

The RAW solution to animal companions being too strong, perhaps? :smalltongue:

Hiro Quester
2016-01-27, 09:15 AM
Does it have to be medium sized? After level 4, a Dire Bat makes an excellent Animal Companion for a small or medium druid. It's not medium, but it is large!

And at level 7 or higher (this is the level at which dire hawk is available to non-raptorans) you also have the Horrid Bad (ECS). Again, it's large.

Overall, though, the dire hawk is not a terrible option. Excellent AC and hp, good fly speed (though average maneuverability means it can't hover --have it take the feat). It's not a damage dealer (the bats above have it beat there), but as a flying mount, it's pretty good, if you want to stay with a medium flying mount.

Inevitability
2016-01-27, 10:21 AM
And at level 7 or higher (this is the level at which dire hawk is available to non-raptorans) you also have the Horrid Bad (ECS). Again, it's large.

The Horrid Bad? You mean the monk? :smalltongue:

Hiro Quester
2016-01-27, 10:32 AM
Oops. Horrid bat. Though it can also be a Horrid Bad Bat.

Horrid bat is also limited to The Demon Wastes of Ebberon, unless your DM is permissive. Honestly, the Dire hawk is a reasonable option if you want a flying mount AC.

Aleolus
2016-01-27, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't Eagles be medium? I know some eagles, like Bald Eagles, are about the same size as a lot of dogs, and D&D has dogs as medium

Inevitability
2016-01-27, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't Eagles be medium? I know some eagles, like Bald Eagles, are about the same size as a lot of dogs, and D&D has dogs as medium

Normally eagles are small (and dogs either small or medium), but I know DM's who let animal companions advance in size as they gain bonus HD (or ignore the wizards article on this issue). If your DM says so, an eagle animal companion should turn medium when its master has gained their 3rd druid level.

Segev
2016-01-27, 11:56 AM

While straight-forward, it is not always practical, nor an efficient use of time and resources. Breaking or changing the rules can be easier and more effective than exploiting such a high-energy-cost loophole.

Red Fel
2016-01-27, 12:02 PM
While straight-forward, it is not always practical, nor an efficient use of time and resources. Breaking or changing the rules can be easier and more effective than exploiting such a high-energy-cost loophole.

You say that.

But, on the other hand... More fire.

Segev
2016-01-27, 02:45 PM
You say that.

But, on the other hand... More fire.

Not all of us have an unlimited supply of the stuff under our infernal fortresses that we can just send more lemurs down to harvest whenever we need it. Some of us have to work for our minions, rather than just catching them as they fall to their eternal punishments. Well, "work" in that we have to compel them to claw their way out of the ground and go make more.