View Full Version : Pathfinder Starting With 3k Gold At Level 3. What Would You recommend I Buy?

Quasikaze
2016-01-26, 06:05 AM
I'm still somewhat new to Pathfinder. This will be my third campaign. The last two never got above level five. I'll be playing a Human, Synthesist Summoner. I played a vanilla Summoner in the first campaign and loved it.

I've been mostly following "The Summoner's Handbook" guide that was posted on here five years ago. I'll be playing with a Cha:18, Wis:14, & Int:14 with a 20-point buy. The rest are 10. The feats I'm gonna grab are Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augmented Summoning, & Superior Summoning. I'm thinking about getting Summon Good Monster, also, but that's in a couple levels. I'm curious if it's even worth it. One of the character's main goals is to be able to transform into a dragon, which he'll do via his Eidolon. He's an entertainer that uses his summoning magic at large parties as a main attraction. His final act will eventually be the dragon transformation.

The campaign setting is in a very large city with early firearms which are supposed to be rare. Our DM gave us 3k gold each to spend how we wish, but seeing as I'm not incredibly familiar with all the items, the vast number of choices overwhelm me. I'm completely open to what you guys think I should buy or save up for. I definitely don't know the items like more veteran players.

Rezialn
2016-01-26, 06:35 PM
Best AC light armor you can. If you're willing to drop 2080 and can use 3rd party books, http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/The-Loss-of-a-Body-Part/Prosthetics/magical-prosthetics/energy-palm.

Get a masterwork light crossbow and shoot for 1d8+1d6(lightning). It'll be useful if you need to conserve your already limited spellcasts.

That'll end up tearing through most of your gold.

Psyren
2016-01-27, 12:08 AM
If he's new then chances are third party isn't the best suggestion. Also, synthesists get nothing from wearing armor, so I wouldn't recommend that either.

@OP: Check out the Haversack Pack (https://78462f86-a-abd8972e-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/geekindustrialcomplex.com/www/downloads/files-page/handyhaversackpackv1.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cqRwUXop5 DUz5zLGE4UvBBSv9VG4sQaXcHKsfrTE3A-2xtW6MQOl9q-aCWKPEsv-9Sr6nqNsG3jcK39TAacalzTkx5se5U5BQN_WYaKmvRN0eGdAA6 vO17BwFVYSARMD3koZnN1RKduwdNBtIy6Ty9nD-A3BlwGg0DPRauHAF2lODp9mAN9C1sHFZOt3MsNt91Y1zGVEEoq 37w0pUNjEhVTpDLv9g27czmyTg6IqKZDJ3cGS6mB3Px2Jht84a AfPVPX88x9&attredirects=1) - a collection of useful items for adventuring + a haversack costing 3185 gp. You can drop the haversack itself (you should be strong enough to carry everything in normal bags) and also you won't need everything on this list, but this is a good start for a 3rd-level character.

If you have anything left over, get consumables like scrolls and wands.

Quasikaze
2016-01-27, 06:20 AM
We're currently not allowed to use 3PP materials, but that was definitely a good idea. I know I won't benefit from armor while my eidolon is fused, but if he goes down, I'll need something to protect me. The 1d3+1 eagles I've got up my sleeve will certainly help, though. :) I was thinking about getting some light armor and maybe a good light crossbow, so the lightning crossbow is a decent idea. I'm not really sure how to find the cost of a lightning crossbow, though, since I've never used magic weapons in pathfinder. I searched d20pfsrd and didn't see a "lightning" modifier for the magic weapons.

I like the idea of the Haversack Pack, but I'd have to save for it, and that would leave me unarmed & naked. I may have spells, but they are few and far between. After I get all I need, though, I may actually try to get it.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Psyren
2016-01-27, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of the Haversack Pack, but I'd have to save for it, and that would leave me unarmed & naked. I may have spells, but they are few and far between. After I get all I need, though, I may actually try to get it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - buying every item on that page costs you less than half of your budget, so you can afford it all just fine even if you want everything. The bulk of the listed cost comes from the Haversack itself, which you can postpone since you're a Synthesist - carrying capacity won't be an issue as you'll be replacing your strength score with that of your much stronger Eidolon, thus you can use regular backpacks/saddlebags/carry a trunk and drop it when combat starts/etc.

I was also unclear on the armor - by all means, wear a chain shirt underneath just in case so you're not completely exposed, but don't prioritize enhancing it with your WBL, that should be way down your priority list. At best make it masterwork for now and leave it at that. Your wealth is better spent keeping your eidolon (and thus yourself) alive and ending encounters efficiently in the first place, rather than on backup plans for when it despawns - you should be avoiding that eventuality at all costs because if that happens you're in a lot of trouble anyway. You just don't have the wealth at level 3 to spend on something that you'll almost never use.

I searched d20pfsrd and didn't see a "lightning" modifier for the magic weapons.

Do you mean Shock? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/shock)

I know I'm sounding really negative but I can't recommend that either. These enhancements don't scale at all, and you shouldn't be fighting from range as a synthesist anyway. A synthesist's job is to buff up and wade into melee as a frontliner for their group - if you really want to hang back and shoot while wearing armor, you're better off as a regular summoner who is supporting his eidolon from afar.

Your priorities should be boosting your survivability, strengthening your melee and supplementing your spellcasting. Only after all those should you be considering tertiary things like a ranged weapon or armoring your non-fused form.

Quasikaze
2016-01-27, 01:22 PM
buying every item on that page costs you less than half of your budget, so you can afford it all just fine even if you want everything.
Good thought. That makes more sense. I may do that. Thanks!

you shouldn't be fighting from range as a synthesist anyway
I agree, but I should have a backup for when my eidolon goes down. When it's down, then I definitely shouldn't be in the vanguard. I'm too squishy. I can summon creatures to be up there, but if they last long enough, then on my next turn, I can either cast a spell, which I won't have many of, or I can shoot something. Grease, Mage Armor, Shield, Rejuvenate Eidolon, and eventually, Haste will take up most of my slots. In my eyes, it looks like I can do a whole lot in one encounter, but not as much in the ones following, if they're on the same day. I have my Summon Monster, but again, if they're up still and I'm either low or out of spells, then I should have a back up. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though. It's entirely possible that I'm missing something.

Solidarity
2016-01-27, 04:55 PM
Have you looked up Shax's Indispensable Haversack? It's somewhere on the forums. Great collection of trinkets and useful stuff. Most of it pretty cheap.

Randomthom
2016-01-28, 09:07 AM
Although it won't increase your power, it's hard to find a better-value item than the handy haversack (2,000gp). It's one of those utility items that never becomes obselete through your entire adventuring career no matter how powerful you become.

On top of that I'd just grab some masterwork gear & save the rest for a rainy day/future purchase.