View Full Version : Pathfinder If chara from undertale was a character in D&D what class would they be.

Reprimand
2016-01-26, 12:46 PM
I was thinking the knife master rogue archetype and maybe assassin but I can't be too sure.

Would it be better to focus on stealth kills (chara doesn't so much sneak as they do romp through the underground) or intimidation (people tend to get very scared of chara in game)?

Literal incarnation of CE

This character concept will literally be killing everything that gets in its path so i want to make sure it can survive long enough to become strong.

This character is effectively soloing but I will have a ton of loot from towns etc so money is not an issue.

Felyndiira
2016-01-26, 02:10 PM
You can make any effective character that does lots of damage with a knife (dagger) and you'd have a good portrayal of end-game No Mercy Frisk. Frisk doesn't really use any special techniques that the player can see; he doesn't rely on stealth or fancy swordplay. He kinda just hits stuff a lot - and sometimes with unusual objects like textbooks rather than real weapons.

As for Chara herself/himself, we don't really know that much about her. Most of the game in No Mercy mode was still played as Frisk with the player controlling his actions (you only lose control after Sans), and all we know of Chara is that he/she easily manipulates Asriel, is willing to poison hirself for hir malice, and can possess people. He/she may or may not have actually used a knife or killed anyone before possessing Frisk.

ryu
2016-01-26, 02:22 PM
Do we really need hidden spoiler text for something like this? The thread is literally about undertaie, and a specific character therein. I would imagine anyone actually going into the thread is aware of what they're getting into.

Reprimand
2016-01-26, 02:29 PM
Do we really need hidden spoiler text for something like this? The thread is literally about undertaie, and a specific character therein. I would imagine anyone actually going into the thread is aware of what they're getting into.

The game is best enjoyed going into it blind so spoiler tags are just a courtesy for those who haven't just in case.

@Felyndiira also good to know I really can't go wrong with this. I realize you don't really stealth in the game but you also seem to catch a lot of people offguard during fights and that in of itself seems roguey to me. so I might just make an adaption for the sake of following pathfinder rules.

ryu
2016-01-26, 02:47 PM
There are people on the internet who don't know the story of undertale yet? How is that even possible? Thing is almost literally everywhere.

Reprimand
2016-01-26, 02:57 PM
Its just safer to assume they don't so you don't spoil it for the guy who hasn't touched a computer in like a year. Its a super good game wouldn't you hate it if someone accidentally spoiled it for you?

ryu
2016-01-26, 03:05 PM
Its just safer to assume they don't so you don't spoil it for the guy who hasn't touched a computer in like a year. Its a super good game wouldn't you hate it if someone accidentally spoiled it for you?

How so? I knew the general premise and had some idea of what to expect before I even began. Undertale isn't some cheap flick where all the payoff of it comes from twists. It's a better experience than that, and it annoys me severely when people treat it like it only has shock value.

Reprimand
2016-01-26, 03:21 PM
How so? I knew the general premise and had some idea of what to expect before I even began. Undertale isn't some cheap flick where all the payoff of it comes from twists. It's a better experience than that, and it annoys me severely when people treat it like it only has shock value.

well the whole idea is that the first playthrough the typical rpg player will kill things for xp and money and the game deconstructs those thoughts and makes you feel bad for the typical j-rpg thought process and decisions you made. You start to question your motives and if what your doing is actually right. its almost impossible to get the no mercy run your first time through because of how slow and involving it is and your likely to get the neutral ending and the judgement scene with sans is likely not to be in your favor. Both of which are is unsatisfying during a neutral run and makes you want to try and experiment in the game on your 2nd run. flowey even gives you a clue and how to get the true ending if you spare him. So people start to expirment with mechanics they didn't use the first run which would probably be the act menu and sparing. assuming your dedicated enough to these new mechanics you either get a new hint from flowey or get the pacifist ending from doing everything right. Very satisfying ending special credits scene. But after that? Your done there's nothing left. but then you wonder what happens if I do the opposite of pacifist? What if I kill everyone? Which leads us to the genocide run which is so specific and mechanically challenging that most people give up either from feeling terrible about it or because they didn't put enough care into getting certain items to aid them during the two main fights being undyne the undying and sans. Or assuming you succeed to permanently alter your save file unless you hard reset undertale. by deleting your save data from the undertale folder. The game is designed to manipulate you into doing these things and thats why its good.

If you know all about a movie/game going into it its less special or if you play a game over and over your not surprised by anything in it anymore its just the same thing over and over. I agree its well designed and a good game on its own but it has a couple of major reveals that take a lot of the value away from the game once you know them.

Ever watch the 6th sense after knowing he's a ghost? it's kinda boring.

ryu
2016-01-26, 04:00 PM
Can you really call the basic premise of the game which is openly revealed in the trailer on its own store page a spoiler? If you can I've got a real world render for you.

Turns out he's actually a wizard.

Reprimand
2016-01-26, 04:02 PM
Can you really call the basic premise of the game which is openly revealed in the trailer on its own store page a spoiler? If you can I've got a real world render for you.

Don't need to read the tag line to play the game.

Anyway this is kind of irrelevant the thread so I'm just going to agree to the disagree on this one.

Hamste
2016-01-26, 04:32 PM

...What!?!? I went through my whole life thinking he was a sorcerer.

ryu
2016-01-26, 04:42 PM

I know, it's shocking. I'd say based on the general power of spells in that world that it hasn't had magic for long. Everyone can cast a bunch of spells every day. They're decently high level clearly. It's just that no one has invented spells beyond a certain level and the spells they do have are just limited. Also note that most of their spellcasting is a scholastic affair rather than intuitively.

Geddy2112
2016-01-26, 04:43 PM
You need a death attack to be Frisk/Chara no mercy playthrough. You don't auto kill everything(Undine, lots of enemies) but several enemies you do auto kill, and instill fear.

Maybe a bit of antipaladin to get the aura of fear, and an intimidation rogue/slayer into assassin. The weapon is not just a knife, it is anything that can be used for max damage and power. A keen vorpal greatsword or some similarly obscene thing.

Rezialn
2016-01-26, 06:48 PM
Absolutely the assassin class. It requires that you kill someone for no particular reason beyond wanting to be an assassin.

ryu
2016-01-26, 07:11 PM
Absolutely the assassin class. It requires that you kill someone for no particular reason beyond wanting to be an assassin.

Still more pacifistic than Chara. They considered killing people to be its own reward.

Inevitability
2016-01-27, 05:44 AM

He's obviously a warlock. Hogwarts is a special location that grants people Extra Invocation a bunch of times (à la Otyugh Hole), resulting in a lot of magic you can use at-will. Deceive Item and Imbue Item explain the magic item-rich setting and the potion brewing.

And where do they get the XP from, you ask? Well, the Pensieve is obviously a refluffed Thought Bottle.

emulord
2016-01-27, 08:07 PM
Trying to bring things back on topic:

Chara's abilities in game: Improved Evasion, Defensive Roll, Death attack, Intimidation, Destroys world/ possessed by demon at level 20.
Rogue 13, Paladin of Slaughter 3, Assassin 1 fits her early abilities and doesnt give her extra ones. (Not sure what order those would be, but thats not too important, except paladin all happens in a row and you need to qualify for assassin skills first)

After level 17 Im not sure how to get world-destroying power / demon pacts by 20 though.