PDA

View Full Version : Solo Prince of the Apocalypse

8wGremlin
2016-01-26, 02:25 PM
My GM is running PotA solo games for a few of us, one after the other. Each of us has to see how far we get before we die. SCAG, EE, DMG and players hand book with All options available.

Im thinking of a winged tiefling warlock.
What would you play?

WarrentheHero
2016-01-26, 04:04 PM
Flying is definitely strong. What pact/boon for Warlock?

8wGremlin
2016-01-26, 06:16 PM
Tome and probably old one.
For the telepathy. Able to talk to animals as well as other monsters

gullveig
2016-01-27, 06:49 AM
PHB page 159... Services -> Hirelings... Spend your gold on them.

8wGremlin
2016-01-27, 12:59 PM
PHB page 159... Services -> Hirelings... Spend your gold on them.

Great idea. But they have been vetoed.
Any other ideas?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-27, 01:30 PM
What level are you starting?

RulesJD
2016-01-27, 01:37 PM
Few levels of Warlock, and some in Paladin. I would say 3 Warlock (Tome) for the ritual spells (Find Familiar!!!) and cantrips that are going to be needed (Guidance, Shillelagh, one of your choose) Need to get 6 paladin for the +to saves to have any chance against higher tier mobs. With short rest Warlock abilities powering your Paladin, you'll be extremely strong throughout the level progression.

I would recommend taking a level of Sorc as well to get Shield. It's already a great a spell and definitely necessary for any solo campaign.

I would go Oath of Ancients. +Cha to saves and 1/2 spell damage will be critical to surviving a spell heavy campaign like PotA. Warlock EB will let you kite when you need to, which is likely to be often, at a low resource cost. One critical thing you can try to get is if the DM will permit Absorb Elements to be on the Sorceror/Warlock spell list. If so, you're good to go.

My personal vote:
Human Variant (need dem feats) -> Resiliency (Con)(if your DM checks concentration a lot)

1. Warlock 1-3 (Tome, Fiend pact for Temp HP heals in combat. Devil's Sight and Book invocations. Abuse Darkness + Devil's Sight shenanigans. For Ritual spells pick up Detect Magic/Unseen Servant and Find Familiar).

2. Sorc 1 (I would recommend Wild Magic because besides the turn into potted plant, almost all of them will help you with no party members around to hurt) for Shield.

3. Paladin 7. You'll be coming fully online around level 11, which is about when you will be really needing that spell damage resistance. If you manage to survive that long, you'll be good to go. From here I would say more levels in Sorc to power your Armor of Agathys and smites to end fights.

The downside of this build is it delays Multi-attack by a LOT. However, your EB and cantrips will level just fine. Take Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade and you wont lose much firepower. I would recommend Sword and Board for this reason.

Your biggest weakness will be hordes. However, Moonbeam and Burning Hands will do you good here.

An alternative build is Sorc 1+/Tempest Cleric 6/Warlock 2. 1 level of Sorc, then Cleric to 6, then Warlock, then more Sorc.

between Armor of Agathys, Spirit Guardians, and maximized damage Shatters/Chromatic Orb, you'll be able to handle most anything.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-27, 01:55 PM
Sorcerer 1/ Rogue 3 (Thief or Swashbuckler) / Warlock (tome or chain) (Fiend) 3 / Sorcerer X (dragon)

I will sneak and I will kite and I will sneak and I will kite.

Fiend and Rogue means I get Temp HP and will win at stealth and perception (I may want to drop perception and take survival as expertise).

Tome or Chain gets me a disposable familiar.

Warlock 2 also gets you devil sight or whatever it's called.

Take the healer feat and I have a decent source of HP when I can't kill things.

My goal isn't to kill everything or to do much else than survive. I will never willingly get into a fight.

Vuman (feat), Air Genasi (holding breath), Water Genasi (create water), Gnome (talk with animal) would all be decent choices.

Maybe even half-elf (drow) and get the disguise kit (i can make my own background).

Addaran
2016-01-28, 08:11 AM
Are you allowed to "cheat"? i.e. Read the adventure or get some suggestion met-gamed to beat the adventure from someone who've read it?

In any case, your best bet to live long is to join the bad guys. =P