PDA

View Full Version : Personal Challenge - Dragon Fight Optimization

Draconium
2016-01-26, 02:55 PM
So, I've been reading this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476430-Powering-up-a-dragon-a-semi-optimisation-challenge), and while is seems like a cool idea, there were a few... Unfortunate limitations I didn't agree with. So I decided to make my own thread, basically a thread where I could post ideas for more optimized dragons following my own, self-imposed limitations instead, and also get some feedback about what I could do better in creating them.

This first one is designed to be a boss (or perhaps mini-boss) fight for a CR 15-16 party. I've used the elite array for the stats, and while I'm sure a properly optimized party could take it down, it should prove an interesting fight for a less-optimized party.

Aussirdartak the Bloodscaled, Fury of the Peaks

Male CE Mature Adult Wyrm of War White Dragon CR 12/Barbarian 1/Bloodscaled Fury 4 (Total CR 17)

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

Mature Adult White Dragon (21 RHD)
+21
+19 (Base 12)
+14 (Base 12)
+19 (Base 12)
Concentration 22, Diplomacy 4, Hide 10, Intimidate 24, Knowledge (all except Psionics) 1, Listen 16, Move Silently 10, Search 16, Sense Motive 4, Spot 16, Swim 8, Use Magic Device 4
Power Attack, Hover, Multiattack, Flyby Attack, Endurance, Wingover, Clinging Breath, Shape Breath, Wingstorm, Shock Wave, Quicken Breath, Steadfast Determination, Snatch
Breath Weapon 7d6 (Cone of Cold, 50 ft, DC Ref 27 Half, 1d4 recharge); Frightful Presence (210 ft, DC Will 22 Negates, Panicked or Shaken 4d6 rounds); Size Huge; Bite 15-ft 2d8, 2 Claws 10-ft 2d6, 2 Wings 10-ft 1d8, Tail Slap 10-ft 2d6, Crush 2d8; Immune to Sleep, Paralysis, Cold; Vurlnerable to Fire; Darkvision 120 ft, Keen Senses, Blindsense 60 ft; DR 10/Magic; Natural Armor +20; Fog Cloud 3/Day, Gust of Wind 3/Day; Icewalking; SR 20; Sorcerer Level 3rd

Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem) 1
+22
+21 (Base 14)
+14 (Base 12)
+19 (Base 12)
Climb 1, Concentration 22, Diplomacy 4, Hide 10, Intimidate 25, Knowledge (all except Psionics) 1, Listen 16, Move Silently 10, Search 16, Sense Motive 4, Spot 16, Survival 2, Swim 8, Use Magic Device 4
None
Pounce; Rage 1/Day (+4 Str and Con, +2 Will, -2 AC)

Bloodscaled Fury 4
+26
+25 (Base 18)
+15 (Base 13)
+20 (Base 13)
Climb 1, Concentration 26, Diplomacy 4, Hide 10, Intimidate 29, Knowledge (all except Psionics) 1, Listen 16, Move Silently 10, Search 16, Sense Motive 4, Spot 16, Survival 2, Swim 8, Use Magic Device 4
Improved Snatch, Snatch and Swallow, Rend (Bonus Feat)
Fearsome Presence (As Frightful Presence, DC 26, HD 6 or less Panics, 6d6 rounds); Draconic Fury (as Rage, +6 Str and Con, +3 Will); Scales of Blood (while raging, +4 SR, +5 DR)

Base: 13 Str, 14 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 12 Cha

+White Dragon RHD: 29 Str, 14 Dex, 25 Con, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 14 Cha

+1 from 4 class levels: 30 Str, 14 Dex, 25 Con, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 14 Cha

To-Hit: +34 Bite, +32 Claws, Wings, Tail Slap

AC: 30, Touch 10, Flat-Footed 28

Initiative: +2

HD: 26d12+182 (351 HP)

6 0th-level/Day, 6 (5+1 bonus) 1st-level/Day

Spells Known:
0th - Prestidigitation, Message, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Read Magic
1st - Mage Armor, Shield, Alarm

Aussirdartak will usually begin the battle by casting Mage Armor and Shield upon himself, to make up for a less-than-stellar AC. He will spend the early battle using Flyby Attack to strafe his opponents with his breath weapon, in an attempt to wear them down. If this proves ineffective, he usually singles out a member of the party he finds most dangerous and snatches them away, possibly even swallowing them to thin out the numbers.

Afterwards, he will land in front of the rest of the party and enter his rage. He prefers to land out of his opponents' charging range, waiting for them to get closer before charging himself. His Rend feat and Pounce ability allow him to do massive damage on a charge. However, if they are not at least seriously injured by this attack, he'll usually proceed to retreat to a greater distance, and redo the process.

He is not above dirty tricks, and will usually attempt to force a fight on icy, watery, or similary poor terrain where his movement types give him an advantage.

He also owns two scrolls of Dispel Magic and one of Forcecage. Should the party be warded against his attack forms, he will attempt to dispel the buffs, and he may use Forcecage to remove a dangerous opponent from play.

He will attempt to take down the party mage first, if possible. He has very limited spellcasting, and he regocnizes how dangerous they can really be.

Again, I realize that a properly-prepared party could probably trounce this guy. However, a low-OP group could probably find themselves in a lot of trouble facing him. So, how challenging would this dragon truly be as a boss or mini-boss to an mid-powered ECL 15 or 16 party?

2016-01-26, 03:29 PM
Couple points worth mentioning.

Firstly, if we assume his scroll of Dispel Magic has CL 10, you're looking at 1d20+10 vs a DC of 26/27, which isn't good odds for him to dispel the party's buffs anyway...and that's assuming he uses it on their buffs; if he uses it then, he can't use it later on their spells (consequentially, the party's odds of dispelling his buffs are much better, since they can toss Greater Dispel Magic at a much lower CR creature).

Secondly, the level we're playing at means that the wizard could cast Reach Chained Polymorph to turn up to 15/16 creatures (which should be the entire party and any mounts/animal companions/familiars/pack mules they might have) into Young Gold Dragons; this gives them a high flight speed to keep up with you, a reusable fire-based AoE targeting your worst save, and immunity to your frightful presence (it's not going to win the fight for them on its own without a lot of luck on their part, but such a spell makes the fight a lot harder for your boss dragon to steamroll). Of course, the odds that the wizard has Reach Chained Polymorph prepared isn't that high in low-op, but they've at least got a couple Polymorph spells prepared, and even a couple other dragons will put a serious cramp in your day.

Thirdly, if they've got a Ranger and/or Swift Hunter dedicated to dragon slaying (both mechanically and tactically), you're ****ed: two casters boosting a specialized dragon hunter makes a dead dragon.

ace rooster
2016-01-26, 06:04 PM
Couple points worth mentioning.

Secondly, the level we're playing at means that the wizard could cast Reach Chained Polymorph to turn up to 15/16 creatures (which should be the entire party and any mounts/animal companions/familiars/pack mules they might have) into Young Gold Dragons; this gives them a high flight speed to keep up with you, a reusable fire-based AoE targeting your worst save,

Polymorph references alter self for movement modes, and so is limited to 120ft. The breath weapon is supernatural, so they would not get that if that is what you mean. Additionally it is limited by HD, so your pack mule cannot become a high HD dragon.

The scrolls are probably a mistake, because there is a good chance he would fail in using them.

While the limitations on the other thread irk me too, he is correct that straight up dragon is hard to beat. The dragon PrCs are generally suboptimal in terms of CR, and only really viable for older dragons or NPCs not built for CR. A couple of dips added to dragon HD is generally the way to go, especially once you get caster levels and 6HD = 4CL = 3CR beating straight caster classes.