PDA

View Full Version : PROC/Chance-on-hit Weapons?

Oramac
2016-01-26, 05:10 PM
Is there any reason that there are no proc-based weapons in this game? For those who don't know, PROC means "Programmed Random OCcurrence". Basically, a percent chance of something happening when some other thing triggers it. Most commonly, it's attached to weapons in online games like Warcraft.

In any case, I came up with a couple just for kicks. Hope you like em!

Mace of Smashing: +1 mace; Chance on hit: when you hit a target with this mace, roll a d10. On a roll of 10, the target is Stunned until the beginning of its next turn.

Dagger of Poison (really creative names, right?): +1 Dagger; Chance on hit: when you hit a target with this dagger, roll a d10. On a roll of 10, the target takes 2d6 poison damage and is poisoned. The target can make a DC 15 Constitution save to end the poisoned effect.

Radiant Sword: +1 sword (any); Chance on hit: when you hit a target with this sword, roll a d10. On a roll of 10, the target takes 2d6 Radiant damage and is Blinded. The target can make a DC 15 Constitution save to end the Blinded effect.

Obviously the damage and PROC chance (roll a 10 on a d10; roll a 20 on a d20; roll a 4 on a d4) can be tweaked however you like. I just think that something like this could add a fun little bit of randomness to a game.

KorvinStarmast
2016-01-26, 05:37 PM
Is there any reason that there are no proc-based weapons in this game? For those who don't know, PROC means "Programmed Random OCcurrence". Basically, a percent chance of something happening when some other thing triggers it. Most commonly, it's attached to weapons in online games like Warcraft.

Vorpal blade used to work that way.
Still does.
On a 20, you cut off a creature's head.
I think that's a "PROC" for this game.

BRC
2016-01-26, 05:38 PM
the issue is that rolling extra dice adds complexity.

I would tie the Proc to the original die roll. Good Things Happen on, say, an 18, 19, or 20. If you want a negative Proc, that happens on a 1,2,or 3.

some guy
2016-01-26, 06:43 PM

I would tie the Proc to the original die roll. Good Things Happen on, say, an 18, 19, or 20. If you want a negative Proc, that happens on a 1,2,or 3.

Yeah, this.
Tying the proc could also work. Rolling a 1 on damage on a great axe, but getting an extra effect is quite nifty.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-26, 07:12 PM
13th Age has this melded into their system perfectly.

On a d20 roll (your attack) of 16+ you do X

X could be using a maneuver or whatever but essentially if you perform your attack well enough then you get an extra feature.

Oramac
2016-01-27, 09:30 AM

Good idea. I like it. Thanks everyone!