PDA

View Full Version : Damn you, Rich Burlew!

TheNovak
2007-06-14, 10:06 PM
I cheered out loud when she came upon Miko. And then I cried a little when she walked on by.

That woulda been so awesomely anticlimactic :smallbiggrin:

holywhippet
2007-06-14, 10:16 PM
It would certainly have been interesting if she did do it. For one thing, if Miko had her free will she'd likely have slaughtered Tsukiko on the spot and gone lich/goblin hunting.

An interesting thought though, she said she'd create the undead to be free willed and evil. Surely the soul/mind inhabiting the undead would decide how it wanted to act?

On another note, are the AD&D rules regarding undead being suspended here for some reason? There are limits to how many undead a single caster can create using the animate dead spell. She certainly couldn't do thousands, she proably hit her limit up on the paraphets. Also, if she was going to create a self controlled undead she'd need to use create undead which has to be cast at night.

Silencer
2007-06-14, 10:17 PM
Miko fans, you *are* getting so pawned!

Albonor
2007-06-14, 10:18 PM
On another note, are the AD&D rules regarding undead being suspended here for some reason? .

In the great words of V: Apparently.

EntilZha
2007-06-14, 10:20 PM
An interesting thought though, she said she'd create the undead to be free willed and evil. Surely the soul/mind inhabiting the undead would decide how it wanted to act?

But don't forget, an evil cleric can rebuke and/or command undead, even intelligent and free-willed ones if she's high enough level. Plus there's the spell Command Undead.

ocato
2007-06-14, 10:43 PM
:redcloak: Go animate some of the thousands of corpses.
:xykon: Yeah, learn to read closely!
:redcloak: Read the signature, sir.
:xykon: Aw, I wanted to be cool...

GrauGeist
2007-06-14, 10:45 PM
Aye. This kind of teasing is grossly unwarranted.

Still, it'll be even funnier if she animates Roy.

Swashbuckler
2007-06-14, 11:20 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it, to be honest. Rich is the master of the tongue-in-cheek webcomic 'gotcha' to the fanbase, whether or not he intends it that way.

Go Burlew!! Keep 'em coming.

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-14, 11:30 PM
On another note, are the AD&D rules regarding undead being suspended here for some reason? There are limits to how many undead a single caster can create using the animate dead spell. She certainly couldn't do thousands, she proably hit her limit up on the paraphets. Also, if she was going to create a self controlled undead she'd need to use create undead which has to be cast at night.

Redcloak said "some of," not all.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-14, 11:54 PM
and, as we all know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html), OotS takes place in the magical time of 3.5

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-06-15, 12:06 AM
It would certainly have been interesting if she did do it. For one thing, if Miko had her free will she'd likely have slaughtered Tsukiko on the spot and gone lich/goblin hunting.

you are missing a key fact about creating undead. The various spells and personal abilities all have their limitations yes...however...there is no limit to the number of undead one can create (with multiple castings that is, yes there is a limit with a single use of create undead or whathaveyou)...only to the number of undead one can control.

When you create more undead than you can control, they become uncontrolled (either the new ones replace your currently controlled stock, or you make a bunch of uncontrolled undead). Uncontrolled undead follow the last programmed instructions they were given, and barring that, attack any living thing that happens to wander by. The spell animate dead has a description of what sort of commands you can give them while they are under your control...these commands stick after they become uncontrolled...They also have several evil clerics in their ranks that add to the number of undead that can be controlled by the army as a whole...

Get it?

They are going to create a butt load of undead for spares if they can't controll them all, or...a great trick...tell a batch of skeletons to 'protect' a single undead...that undead is under your controll...that way, you command as many groups of undead as you have 'leaders'...wraiths and wights are also great undead to have...each one creates a new wight when it kills a creature that is under the controll of the undead that created it...a great way to use a 'pyramid sceme' to controll a large group of undead....just keep that one safe...

holywhippet
2007-06-15, 12:39 AM
But don't forget, an evil cleric can rebuke and/or command undead, even intelligent and free-willed ones if she's high enough level. Plus there's the spell Command Undead.

Well, that would counter the entire "free will" part. Tsukiko isn't a high level cleric though, she'd have some levels in cleric (presumably, she could have levels in druid) but mystic theurge doesn't give any bonuses to turning undead. Command undead might work, but if she made a death knight it would have fairly tough resistances to beat. Assuming she could actually manage such a feat though.

Miraqariftsky
2007-06-15, 12:41 AM

How do you "pawn"? I see neither chessboard nor pawnshop.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-15, 01:08 AM

Step 1 - Be recognized as a fan of Miko.
Step 2 - ??
Step 3 - Pawned?

dehro
2007-06-15, 02:15 AM
I still wonder if the Giant is pulling a joke on Miko or on those among us who have spent the last x topics speculating about Miko's future and/or possible career as a blackguard.

then again..maybe he was planning this "exit" from the very beginning...
either that or he has grown fed up with the discussions about her and decided to cut her out of the script..

(if he reeds this forum, that is...wich would make it entirely possible that our ranting about her has influenced her destiny..to the displeasure of the "pro-miko" faction of the forum)

Gez
2007-06-15, 02:38 AM
The proper spelling is "pwned" though "p0wned" or "p0wn3d" are accepted too.

EntilZha
2007-06-15, 06:33 AM
Well, that would counter the entire "free will" part. Tsukiko isn't a high level cleric though, she'd have some levels in cleric (presumably, she could have levels in druid) but mystic theurge doesn't give any bonuses to turning undead. Command undead might work, but if she made a death knight it would have fairly tough resistances to beat. Assuming she could actually manage such a feat though.

However, if she has levels in True Necromancer (and it's sheer speculation as to whether she does or not), those levels would stack with her cleric levels for her ability to rebuke undead.

ThorFluff
2007-06-15, 06:40 AM
:redcloak: Go animate some of the thousands of corpses.
:xykon: Yeah, learn to read closely!
:redcloak: Read the signature, sir.
:xykon: Aw, I wanted to be cool...

all hail Ocato who mangaes to stroll in and own the thread ;)

Gygaxphobia
2007-06-15, 06:50 AM

I don't know if you know this or are being pedantic :)

'pwned' was originally a misspelling of 'owned' which means to "defeat utterly".

Zaldrak
2007-06-15, 07:08 AM

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6318/jzk1lx2mccq5.gif

evileeyore
2007-06-15, 07:52 AM
Miko fans, you *are* getting so pawned!http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/melodramatic.gif Oh noes, wut evar shall i does now that Miko are deaded 4 evars?!?!!?

Well son, you certianly got us Miko Fans with that zinger. http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/sarcasticclap.gif Yep... sure did... http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/rolleyes.gif

http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/mischief.gif

TheNovak
2007-06-15, 08:10 AM
Could be worse, Miko fans. I'm sure there's good fishing in the area, and you could be getting prawned.