PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creating a To-do magic item list as an artificer

Bayar
2016-01-26, 07:16 PM
Greetings playground ! I've been playing in a 3.5 game as the party artificer for some time now. Need about 2000 XP to ding level 5 in a E6-ish kind of game (custom post post-apocalypse setting, not a lot of higher level characters around apart from plot devices and other PC's).

Looking through my notes and sorting out what items are needed to craft what and when, would appreciate some tips. The other party members are a Level 5 Conjuration Wizard, Level 6 Crusader/Barbarian and Level 3 Psion Shaper (dynamic world, PC's joined and left). As a quest reward, my artificer has the Artificer domain, the wizard has the Dragonlance Restoration one (I think), her familiar has the Healing domain (and is the party healer) and the crusader has the Transformation domain. Currently 2 out of 4 characters (me and the wizard) have a healing belt and I plan on making two more to be covered on all fronts. The wizard also has a Pearl of Power I. My character has a Talisman of the Disk, assorted scrolls for situational use (1 Earthbind, Enfeeblement, Calm Animals, Sleep, Feather fall (which I forgot about when we encountered a room with weird gravity) and purify food/water to name a few - all crafted out of a starting character fund before actual gameplay; didn't have time to scribe other spells, only to make the previous mentioned wondrous items) a Grell Lightning Lance (looted from our last encounter with a pack of them, used it once and it backfired; need to practice with it when NOT in actual combat), a ring of Protection +2 and a +1 Studded Leather for the crusader.

Most likely the last 2 will be sold along with whatever else we manage to drag out of the current dungeon with us to fund a base of operations.

Now here's what my notes say for future crafting and where I need advice:

- Dedicated Wright (about 1/4 of the body has been crafted already by unseen crafters, will commission the psion to finish it since she has ranks in sculpting) - need to either wait until level 7 or buy a scroll of fabricate from a magic mart to create it

- Enchant the crusader's guisarme to at least +1

- brew a Potion of Remove Blindness, just in case

- Craft an Artificer's Monocle (got the mats, just need the time and place for it)

- Enchant my Sundark Goggles into Goggles of Minute Seeing

- Craft a custom magic item of +3 Use Magic Device (need to complete a quest to obtain a rare crafting material)

- Buy a Handy Haversack since waiting to craft one at level 6 is not really an option

- make cloaks of resistance for everyone

- Create a clockwork pony to replace my current mount (so we can go underground and it can carry around all the junk I rarely need but would want)

We didn't really have a lot of gold to play with until recently and not a whole lot of downtime due to a time-sensitive mission. But in the near future time will not be much of a problem.

Now what else could I craft? Maybe some Steadfast Boots ? Though now that I think about it, Boots of Levitation would be more useful. Something to help the crusader in case we encounter incorporeal opponents ? Save up for a Boccob's Blessed Book ? Save up even more for an Elemental Land Cart way-way-WAY down the line ?

Bear in mind that we all play somewhat at tier 3, so nothing that would snap the game in half such as cost reducing shenanigans (apart from the feats from Eberron Campaign Setting, those are ok), walls of iron/salt to create infinite money and so on and so forth.

2016-01-26, 07:18 PM
A custom item giving you a circumstance bonus to UMD and/or Spellcraft will be fairly affordable and will enhance your other crafting capabilities, so that's something you might be interested in. DMs sometimes frown on custom items like that, though, especially with Artificers...

Naez
2016-01-27, 02:42 AM
Portable hole to put your dedicated wight and workbench in while you travel unless you wanna wait for your magic items to be mailed to you or you have a set base of operations you go to daily.

Bayar
2016-01-28, 01:05 PM
The DM already approved custom-UMD boosting items in the form of a Vest that helps with magical attunement. But it requires an exotic material found on elemental planes (or dragonshards if we ever find those somewhere; we're not on Eberron but Spelljammers might arrive with some once in a blue moon, maybe).

We will have a base of operations in the near future and a portable hole is pretty expensive for now.