PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Imbue Item

EdRed
2016-01-26, 10:28 PM
I have a question regarding the Warlock's imbue item ability:

How exactly does it work in relation to the minimal caster level which is normally needed when creating an magic item - can you just create wondrous items and scrolls containing level 9 spells at level 12 as long as you make your UMD check?

Flickerdart
2016-01-27, 12:03 AM
There is no restriction on what spells the Warlock can imitate to craft any magic item, including scrolls. You may wish to houserule that the warlock can only imitate a spell of a level equal to or lower than the highest level-equivalent invocation he can cast, which seems like a sensible limit on any potential abuse.

EdRed
2016-01-27, 03:23 PM
I'm the player in this scenario so my desire to hourserule this is rather low :D

Thanks for your fast answer!

Elxir_Breauer
2016-01-27, 08:28 PM
If I remember correctly, your Caster Level is equal to your Warlock Level (plus any advancements from Prestige Classes and the Practiced Spellcaster feat, up to your Hit Dice). This is already set simply by being a Warlock, so there's no reason they can't make any item whose Caster Level they can meet, provided they pass the Use Magic Device check to emulate the appropriate spell(s) for it.

Stegyre
2016-01-28, 12:52 AM
If I remember correctly, your Caster Level is equal to your Warlock Level (plus any advancements from Prestige Classes and the Practiced Spellcaster feat, up to your Hit Dice). This is already set simply by being a Warlock, so there's no reason they can't make any item whose Caster Level they can meet, provided they pass the Use Magic Device check to emulate the appropriate spell(s) for it.
I think the catch on this is that caster level – as a requirement for item creation – is problematic. It can be (and has been) rather hotly debated whether CL is a requirement or simply a measure of the item's power once created. The RAW is – unclear.

Chronos
2016-01-28, 12:05 PM
Some magic items specifically call out a required caster level, such as a spell storing weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring). Most, however, do not.