PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Grenadier (PrC, Request)

Zaydos
2016-01-26, 11:18 PM
GRENADIER

"Fire in the hole!"

Alchemist’s fire. Acid. These are tools that are invaluable in the careers of adventurers but soon fall away. Swords and bows grow more powerful while these remain only for the stray swarm. A grenadier doesn’t believe that. They learn how to charge such items with a smidgen of energy, to turn them into powerful weapons in their own right, throwing them by the handful.

BECOMING A GRENADIER
Grenadiers are usually military elites. Skirmishers, they learn to use splash weapons to create holes in enemy ranks. As such many are militarily trained. Even so some grenadiers pick up their art from old veterans, or more rarely through alchemical explorations of their own.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feats: Grenadier, Quick Draw
Skills: Craft (Alchemy) 8 ranks

Class Skills
The Grenadier's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str),and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial
1st
+0
+2
+2
+0Alchemist, Charge Grenade (2d6)
2nd
+1
+3
+3
+0Quick Craft
3rd
+2
+3
+3
+1Grenade (3d6), Precise Toss
4th
+3
+4
+4
+1Brew Potion, Quick Retrieve
5th
+3
+4
+4
+1Grenade (5d6), Intense Alchemy
6th
+4
+5
+5
+2Multitoss, Sonic Grenade
7th
+4
+5
+5
+2Grenade (6d6), Toss on the Run
8th
+5
+6
+6
+2 Force Grenade, Quick Quaff
9th
+6
+6
+6
+3Grenade (8d6), Improved Precise Toss
10th
+7
+7
+7
+3Scavenge, Toss Potion

Weapon Proficiencies: A Grenadier gains no new armor or weapon proficiencies.

Alchemist (Ex): A Grenadier can use the craft (alchemy) skill to craft alchemical items even if they are incapable of casting spells (That rule is dumb and should feel bad) and add ½ their Grenadier level to all Craft (alchemy) checks.

Charge Grenade (Su): A Grenadier learns how to construct simple destructive ‘grenades’. These grenades are relatively inexpensive, costing approximately the same to make as a flask of oil (1 SP). Each grenade is either fire, acid, or electric chosen when it is made. These grenades remain inactive until the grenadier charges one with a pulse of energy which serves as the catalyst causing them to explode moments later. If thrown while charged they function like a splash weapon (see Throw Splash Weapon, PHB page 158). On a direct hit the grenade deals 2d6 damage of the energy type chosen when it was made, and its splash damage is 2 points of the same damage; as a grenadier increases in level this damage increases alternatingly by 1 or 2d6 every other level until it reaches 8d6 at 9th, the splash damage increases by 1 for every die added to the direct hit damage. Charging a grenade is part of the same action as attacking with it, or a standard action if they are not attacked with. A charged grenade that is not attacked with explodes at the end of the grenadier’s turn.

A grenadier can use oil in place of a fire grenade, and may super charge an alchemical weapon such as alchemist’s fire, acid, etc. Any alchemical item which functions as a splash weapon can be charged in this way and adds the grenade damage to their own damage, this grenade damage is the same type as the splash weapon’s innate damage.

A grenade is an alchemical item with a DC of 10 to create and a market price of 3 SP.

Quick Craft (Ex): A grenadier learns to always be prepared. Beginning at 2nd level they may use Craft (Alchemy) to make an alchemical item with 1 minute of work, or class level grenades with a move action, but such an item must be stabilized if not used within 24 hours or it will degrade. To stabilize an item simply requires additional craft (alchemy) checks as if it were being crafted normally, or as a move action to merely stabilize it for 24 hours but no additional raw materials. In addition a grenadier can use generalized ‘reagents’ to make their alchemical items, these serve as raw materials usable for any alchemical item or potion able to substitute cost in ‘reagents’ for an equal cost of raw materials. In short a grenadier does not need to specify what the raw materials are for when buying materials to make alchemical items.

Precise Toss (Ex): A grenadier learns precision with their grenades. Beginning at 3rd level a grenadier gains the benefits of the Precise Shot feat but only when wielding thrown weapons.

Brew Potion: A grenadier may not be a mage but they know the basics of alchemy well enough that with the aid of one they can make potions. Beginning at 4th level a grenadier gains the Brew Potion feat as a bonus feat and may make potions with the aid of another creature willing to expend the spell to do so (similarly to how a wizard with the feat can work with a druid to make a potion of a druid spell).

Quick Retrieve (Ex): A grenadier can pull out items swiftly, removing them from storage in the midst of battle. Beginning at 4th level a grenadier can retrieve a stored item as a free action instead of a move action 1/round.

Intense Alchemy (Ex): A grenadier can make particularly potent alchemical items. Beginning at 5th level a grenadier may triple the cost of an alchemical item to concentrate its potency. Such an item has one of: all numerical bonuses or penalties it applies double; its damage doubled; its duration doubled. The grenadier chooses which when making the item.

Multitoss (Ex): A grenadier learns to toss a handful of grenades with one throw. Beginning at 6th level a grenadier gains the benefits of Multi-shot but only with thrown weapons.

Sonic Grenade: Ever tried to fight a devil with fire? A daemon with acid? A tanar’ri with lightning? A grenadier has, and if they’ve survived they’ve dedicated themselves to learning a way not to need to. Beginning at 6th level a grenadier can create grenades that deal sonic damage, such a grenade costs 1 GP to make instead of 1 SP (market price 3 GP). A sonic grenade requires a DC 15 craft check to make.

Toss on the Run (Ex): A grenadier always remembers to stay mobile, a moving target is a surviving target. Beginning at 7th level a grenadier gains Shot on the Run when using thrown weapons.

Force Grenade (Su): Even sound isn’t a perfect weapon. Beginning at 8th level a grenadier learns to create grenades which are thoroughly charged with mystical energy even in their construction and explode out in pure Force. This damage is considered a Force effect, ignoring incorporealness and even striking into the Ethereal Plane. Such force grenades cost 10 GP to make (market price 30 GP). A force grenade requires a DC 20 craft check to make.

Quick Quaff (Ex): Antitoxins, potions and their ilk are just too slow in combat, for most people. A grenadier learns to drink down quickly. Beginning at 8th level when drinking a potion or similar item a grenadier may do so as a swift action instead of a standard.

Improved Precise Toss (Ex): Grenades aren’t cheap, a grenadier can’t just let ‘em go to waste. Beginning at 9th level a Grenadier gains the benefits of Improved Precise Shot when wielding thrown weapons.

Scavenge (Ex): Remember that bit about grenades ain’t cheap? Well a grenadier learns to recoup some of their losses. Beginning at 10th level when an alchemical item is used without being consumed a grenadier can scavenge the scene where it was used (taking 1 full round to do so per item) to gather ‘reagents’ worth 1/10th its market price value. The grenadier must do so within 1 hour or they are irreparably tainted by the environment.

Toss Potion (Ex): A grenadier can even throw potions like grenades charging them a bit with energy. Beginning at 10th level a grenadier can throw potions as if they were splash weapons. On a direct hit the creature suffers the effects as if it had drunk the potion, on a splash any damage is reduced to minimum and the duration is reduced to 1 round. A grenadier may destructively overcharge them in which case such potions are also treated as force grenades dealing 8d6 force damage.

Grenadier Feats:

Healing Grenade:
You are able to charge a grenade with positive, or negative, energy overriding its basic nature.
Prerequisites: Charge Grenade.
Benefit: You gain the ability to charge a grenade with positive, or negative, energy instead of destructive energy 3 + Charisma modifier times per day. If charge with positive energy such a grenade heals struck living creatures and damages struck undead; if charged with negative energy this is reversed.

Allnightmask
2016-01-28, 04:00 PM
I really like what I'm seeing but I feel like it could have been a 5 level prestige class and do just fine. Cool ideas still dude.

CinuzIta
2016-01-29, 03:50 AM
Thank you the class looks great!

At first I thought it would have had 5 levels as well, but it's not a big deal having it in 10 levels! I think my players will find 2 goblins grenadiers on flying carpets soon enough! Thanks again! (On a side note, are you still taking requests?)

Zaydos
2016-01-29, 04:15 AM
I really like what I'm seeing but I feel like it could have been a 5 level prestige class and do just fine. Cool ideas still dude.

That was honestly my thought when looking it over one last time before posting it, but I decided that'd be extra effort and I wasn't feeling it at the moment; besides if somebody only wants 5 levels they can stop after 5 levels (although a five level one would be a little different).

Thank you the class looks great!

At first I thought it would have had 5 levels as well, but it's not a big deal having it in 10 levels! I think my players will find 2 goblins grenadiers on flying carpets soon enough! Thanks again! (On a side note, are you still taking requests?)

Currently waiting to see if the people requesting a gray goo host PrC and a Sha respond about the mock up and question of what level, gonna give athem another day, and might start a mini-project which would stop the requests for at least another day. It'll be open again eventually, but probably not before the weekend is done.

And a 5 level version is possible.

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial
1st
+0
+2
+2
+0Alchemist, Charge Grenade (2d6)
2nd
+1
+3
+3
+0Precise Shot, Quick Craft
3rd
+2
+3
+3
+1Grenade (3d6), Quick Retrieve, Sonic Grenade
4th
+3
+4
+4
+1Multitoss, Intense Alchemy
5th
+3
+4
+4
+1Grenade (5d6), Force Grenade

A little stronger in the short term, but loses utility (Brew Potion is not great utility but it's something, toss potion gives it a minor high level use) and high level damage (3d6/attack, it's a little more than the difference between a target being resistant or not), in exchange they get some things earlier which can be quite important.