PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing war-cleric through mc

Spacehamster
2016-01-27, 06:04 AM
So my friend is running a lvl 6 hill dwarf war cleric, it works fine enough but I have read a lot that it's not the best cleric so on the top of my head I thought out a pretty solid build for him and wanted to see if you guys think it's any good?

Next 5 levels he takes as hunter ranger, that nets him 2 attacks, dueling style, hunters mark and horde breaker, meaning first round he gets two or three attacks depending on horde breaker and activates hunters mark, next round he gets a potential for 4 attacks with his war cleric bonus attack. So plate + battle axe doing 1d8 + 1d6 + 7 up to four times per round is pretty darn good no while still having high AC?

djreynolds
2016-01-27, 06:19 AM
I like it.

But I like the archery based version better, the use of a bonus action is something a non-rogue archer lacks unless he is moving hunter's mark. Archery style, sharp shooter coupled with a clerics bless spell or enhanced ability is great way to eliminate the -5 of the sharp shooter. And he can still wear plate and melee with a rapier or twin short swords.

Up to you, but I like a cleric with a bow as he can swoop in and heal, and cast spirit guardians just a bit out of melee range.

But your version is great. Cannot go wrong with war cleric/ hunter, strength or dex.

Spacehamster
2016-01-27, 06:21 AM
I like it.

But I like the archery based version better, the use of a bonus action is something a non-rogue archer lacks unless he is moving hunter's mark. Archery style, sharp shooter coupled with a clerics bless spell or enhanced ability is great way to eliminate the -5 of the sharp shooter. And he can still wear plate and melee with a rapier or twin short swords.

Up to you, but I like a cleric with a bow as he can swoop in and heal, and cast spirit guardians just a bit out of melee range.

But your version is great. Cannot go wrong with war cleric/ hunter, strength or dex.

Well STR is his main stat so the sword and board makes more sense in this case. :)

djreynolds
2016-01-27, 07:11 AM
Well STR is his main stat so the sword and board makes more sense in this case. :)

The thing with me, is that bonus action/ attack of the war cleric isn't an off hand strike but can be a big swing with GWM. That's the beauty of this bonus attack, coupled with a clerics bless spell it can lay down some smack.

Do you have anything versus using a maul or great axe or pole arm? To me this is how you really make big on that extra attack.

I'm unsure if a polearms reach works with horde breaker or whirlwind, does your reach go out to 10'.

Also, I'm unsure of you dex score, but that +2 from archery style will hide a low dex score until you can begin to increase it.

IMO, a war cleric uses a great weapon or a bow because of that bonus attack.

Spacehamster
2016-01-27, 07:32 AM
The thing with me, is that bonus action/ attack of the war cleric isn't an off hand strike but can be a big swing with GWM. That's the beauty of this bonus attack, coupled with a clerics bless spell it can lay down some smack.

Do you have anything versus using a maul or great axe or pole arm? To me this is how you really make big on that extra attack.

I'm unsure if a polearms reach works with horde breaker or whirlwind, does your reach go out to 10'.

Also, I'm unsure of you dex score, but that +2 from archery style will hide a low dex score until you can begin to increase it.

IMO, a war cleric uses a great weapon or a bow because of that bonus attack.

Well it's my friends char and to him a dwarf uses a shield and an axe or warhammer, and we already got a few 2h users so.

djreynolds
2016-01-28, 02:22 AM
Well it's my friends char and to him a dwarf uses a shield and an axe or warhammer, and we already got a few 2h users so.

Good for him, I value style over all...

Well, he could use his bonus attack to shove-- like a pseudo shield master-- instead of swinging his axe, saves a feat.

How does your DM rule on spiritual weapon? You can still melee and move you spiritual weapon with your bonus action?

Spacehamster
2016-01-28, 04:53 AM
Good for him, I value style over all...

Well, he could use his bonus attack to shove-- like a pseudo shield master-- instead of swinging his axe, saves a feat.

How does your DM rule on spiritual weapon? You can still melee and move you spiritual weapon with your bonus action?

We kinda cycle the DM duties, had to read the spell since I did not remember what it did and I would allow him to move/attack with
his spiritual weapon with a bonus action yes. :)