PDA

View Full Version : Can you get by without Concentrating?

Edgerunner
2016-01-27, 09:42 AM
I play a Cleric in one of my roll20 games and trying to be Effective while juggling spells that require Concentration seems to be one of the most difficult aspects my PCs role.
It may not help that we have 2 other Spellslingers who just Blast and that's it but that doesn't contribute to the question so lets not get into the inner workings of my Party.

Which Caster/Half-Caster has the best list of Useful spells if we get rid of 90% of the require Concentration?
Which Concentration spells are just indispensable?

Corran
2016-01-27, 09:46 AM
Which Caster/Half-Caster has the best list of Useful spells if we get rid of 90% of the require Concentration? Wizard.

Which Concentration spells are just indispensable? Depends on your build.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-27, 09:51 AM
Depends on your build.

Aye, nothing is indispensable. Universally-popular concentration spells include:

Bless
Fly
Haste
Hex
Hold Person
Hunter's Mark
Invisibility
Slow
Web

If you can do without those, you can do without concentration, I reckon.

Edgerunner
2016-01-27, 10:04 AM
Aye, nothing is indispensable. Universally-popular concentration spells include:

Bless
Fly
Haste
Hex
Hold Person
Hunter's Mark
Invisibility
Slow
Web

If you can do without those, you can do without concentration, I reckon.

Personally.. I would add Faeri Fire to that list.

Corran
2016-01-27, 10:09 AM
Polymorph is another popular concentration spell in this edition.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-27, 10:13 AM
Yeah, they're good spells. But my main point is that, even dropping the word 'indispensable', the list isn't very long, and not having access to any of those spells doesn't look too awful. You wouldn't want to do without, obviously, but you could if you had to.

RulesJD
2016-01-27, 10:14 AM
Wizard.
Depends on your build.

I'd go with Sorc over Wizard for non-concentration blasting goodness. Getting to add your +cha early on helps up your blastyness quite a bit, especially once you factor in Quickening your spells.

For the record, you shouldn't have a hard time juggling Cleric Concentration. It should either be Bless or Spirit Guardians, depending on your play style. Those spells are just too good not to have.

For the record, if you want non-concentration Cleric fun, you pretty much have to go Tempest Cleric. With their channel divinity they can out-blast most Wizard/Sorc builds.

CantigThimble
2016-01-27, 10:16 AM
Spirit Guardians should also be on the list in my opinion. The only issue is it draws a lot of fire to the 10 minute long walking radiant fireball cleric so it's harder to maintain concentration than something like bless.

Edgerunner
2016-01-27, 11:50 AM
For the record, you shouldn't have a hard time juggling Cleric Concentration. It should either be Bless or Spirit Guardians, depending on your play style. Those spells are just too good not to have.

Those 2 spells are the Go To on my list as well.