PDA

View Full Version : Let it never be said the Giant doesn't do fan service

Archangel62
2007-06-14, 11:26 PM
465 along with others are great examples of ironic fan service. On the boards we have talked many times about Miko falling, becoming a death knight, or any number of other possibilities. But in the end it didn't happen due to Miko's inherent nature and the plot line used. However, there are constant allusions to it, 465 with the talk of a super evil warrior, then stopping at Miko, then saying "Nah, would be too weak and only half a body here"

Perhaps an example of the little bit of fan service that comes from reading the forums.

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-14, 11:28 PM
Oh, I know that's exactly what he did and adjusted my sig accordingly. :smallwink:

Random NPC
2007-06-14, 11:31 PM
The giant is a tease. He knows that we are all expecting that and he just goes and plays with our feelings. So mean

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-14, 11:32 PM
The giant is a tease. He knows that we are all expecting that and he just goes and plays with our feelings. So mean

Well, he knows some were expecting that and some weren't. He managed to toy with both sides at once. Thankfully, my side got the best of it.:smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2007-06-14, 11:41 PM
Did anyone else think of something different when you read the title? Or am I just a peverted 13 year old?

On-topic, yeah, it's basically the Giant saying, "No. Miko will NOT be a death knight."

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-14, 11:46 PM
Did anyone else think of something different when you read the title? Or am I just a peverted 13 year old?

I recogninzed the term, but my brain didn't connect your implyed meaing to this comic. Odd, since that's the kind of thing I'd normally get and chuckle at. I'm too tired I guess :smallsigh:

skywalker
2007-06-14, 11:51 PM

The words "fan service" to me, mean very specifically, gratuitous shots of "hot" female characters bending over so as to show their ample cleavage or rear.

So yes, I thought of it, and wondered for a split-second where the fan service was, because to my knowledge Haley has never bent over(neither has Miko, j/k), nor would it be especially appreciated if she did.

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-14, 11:54 PM
The words "fan service" to me, mean very specifically, gratuitous shots of "hot" female characters bending over so as to show their ample cleavage or rear.

That's all?? Hah! Wish I was that lucky :smallmad: . . . stupid Kohta Hirano .. .

TRat
2007-06-15, 12:57 AM
He also might be setting up how Roy will get back into the picture. Miko wants to impress the baddies, sees a big guy with a sword--body parts more or less intact--and poof Roy is a death knight!

Shatteredtower
2007-06-15, 01:12 AM
...to my knowledge Haley has never bent over...I refer you to strip #35 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html)

...nor would it be especially appreciated if she did.It went over well within the strip, however.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-06-15, 01:14 AM

So yes, I thought of it, and wondered for a split-second where the fan service was, because to my knowledge Haley has never bent over(neither has Miko, j/k), nor would it be especially appreciated if she did.
Well that meaning of the term is used in Origins, where Haley complains about her "gratuitous bath scene" being interrupted saying "you try to squeeze in some fanservice..."

Scarab83
2007-06-15, 01:14 AM
He also might be setting up how Roy will get back into the picture. Miko wants to impress the baddies, sees a big guy with a sword--body parts more or less intact--and poof Roy is a death knight!

I think the process to create a Death Knight is a little more complicated than that. Not to mention well above Tsukiko's skill level.

dehro
2007-06-15, 02:37 AM
I think the process to create a Death Knight is a little more complicated than that. Not to mention well above Tsukiko's skill level.

OMG...so the next 20 topics will be a debate on tsukiko's level?

and yes, you ar a quite perverted 13 y.o. who should cleanse his body from evil thoughts of this kind..
here, let me help you to an "evan's spiked tentacles of forced intrusion + lotsa soap...

TreesOfDeath
2007-06-15, 02:54 AM
I love that the Giant DOES read the forum and DOES respond.
I hope Miko wasn't killed because of Miko complainers, though...

EyethatBinds
2007-06-15, 02:59 AM
I'm going to have agree Miko being cut in half doesn't count as fan service, unless you are really disturbed.
Also Redcloak hasn't used any of his create undead spells today so I wouldn't count it out yet. Though that's a guess and it is most likely wrong anyways.

Reivon
2007-06-15, 03:42 AM
I loved it, awesome fan service there.

Sesquedoodle
2007-06-15, 04:04 AM
Rich is just making fun of the forumites now, isn't he?

And picking up on what TreesOfDeath said, I really, REALLY hope Miko wasn't killed off because of fans complaining. That is one of the worst reasons to kill a character, IMO.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-06-15, 04:32 AM
Yeah, I don't think she was killed because of forumites. A comical nod to all the people who thought she was coming back/going blackguard/falling twice is all that's going on here.

I mean, for the sake of the overarching plot the gate has to be destroyed. If it was a "I am so sick of these Miko fans in the forums" moment it most likely wouldn't have fit so nicely into the grand scheme.

ThorFluff
2007-06-15, 04:47 AM
all you fools think its
"Oh haha Miko's not going to be raised hahah, funny cos we all blabberd against you, the Giant is so cool"
Pfft, he doesn't work that way... nooo he is much more insidious, think about it. ITS FORESHADOWING!
TRat already said it, Roy's up for undeadification!

Archangel62
2007-06-15, 06:04 AM
all you fools think its
"Oh haha Miko's not going to be raised hahah, funny cos we all blabberd against you, the Giant is so cool"
Pfft, he doesn't work that way... nooo he is much more insidious, think about it. ITS FORESHADOWING!
TRat already said it, Roy's up for undeadification!

There is probably some foreshadowing, but I also know of more than a few webcomic creators who like screwing with their fans like that, CRFH does it a fair amount too. Hell, Goblins does it somewhat as well just in a different context....

Oh great, now I have this bizzare image of a half Miko-Half Roy zombie thing in my head and it's going to be there all day now because of you.

nimby
2007-06-15, 06:27 AM
Maybe it's the Giant messing with you guys, or maybe he's double-messing with you. Maybe Redcloak will come along, recognize Miko, ressurect her (she'll come back to atone), then kills her to get a complete corpse and make a death knight! :smallwink: :smallamused: :smalltongue:

I don't know
2007-06-15, 06:51 AM
The way the giant responds to the forum is the reason I started lurking here in the first place - it just adds an extra dimension to the comic :smallsmile: