PDA

View Full Version : 5e maps too small

TheLastSpectre
2016-01-27, 10:05 AM
I'm finding the 5e maps way to small for any mini's. The manual says use 5 hexs to an inch, but that leaves the province maps to small to use minis on in order to track progress across map. Should I get smaller minis, or make larger maps at the cost of less detail. Any ideas?

JackPhoenix
2016-01-27, 10:57 AM
I'm finding the 5e maps way to small for any mini's. The manual says use 5 hexs to an inch, but that leaves the province maps to small to use minis on in order to track progress across map. Should I get smaller minis, or make larger maps at the cost of less detail. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what are you talking about, but if I understand that correctly, you've got it wrong... one (1 inch) square on a map = 5 feet in the world.

TheLastSpectre
2016-01-27, 11:05 AM
What I mean is that the DM manuals tares that maps should have 5 hexs every real inch.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-27, 11:12 AM
Why would you be putting minis on a province-scale map? That doesn't make sense.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-27, 11:20 AM
What I mean is that the DM manuals tares that maps should have 5 hexs every real inch.

Could you tell me the page number, I have my dmg and I can take a look.

The closest thing I found so far on page 250...

"Another option is a play surface covered by 1-inch hexagons..."

It says nothing about 5 hexes every real inch.

This just means that you have 1 inch sized hexagons. Each of these can equal anything you want, but typically it will count as 5'.

randomodo
2016-01-27, 11:23 AM
If I understand you correctly, you're using small hexes for your outdoor maps (like five hexes per inch, and each hex equals one mile?) and you want to use miniature figures to track where on the outdoor map the party is located. You mentioned province maps, which are typically implied to be one mile per hex (though I don't recall any particular size of hex being recommended). Am I correct?

If so, I'd suggest a few different alternatives:
- Don't use a mini to track location, just do a light pencil trace or use the collective memory of the group.
- Find a tiny colored piece of paper to use instead of a mini
- Make maps with bigger hexes (seriously, nobody cares what size hexes you use; WOTC will not come to your house and confiscate your maps if you use one hex/one inch scale maps)

Personally, I find that if I make my 1 mile hexes too large, I'm tempted to draw in far too much terrain detail on the maps, which takes a ludicrous amount of time. I recommend sticking with a small map and determining some other way to keep track of where the PCs are located during hexcrawl.

Hope that helped

VoxRationis
2016-01-27, 11:25 AM
Legos make amazing mini-miniatures. Take one of the 1-block-high cylinders, or one of the 1-plate-high studs, and use that to track things on the scale you described.

JumboWheat01
2016-01-27, 11:30 AM
Legos make amazing mini-miniatures. Take one of the 1-block-high cylinders, or one of the 1-plate-high studs, and use that to track things on the scale you described.

That's actually pretty clever. I never would have thought of using legos at all. They're already "grid" based, come in many colors and can be made into many sizes as needed.

Sigreid
2016-01-28, 12:27 AM
That's actually pretty clever. I never would have thought of using legos at all. They're already "grid" based, come in many colors and can be made into many sizes as needed.

If you're ambitious, and have a lot of legos you can also build you battle maps for an awesome 3D experience.

MaxWilson
2016-01-28, 12:59 AM

And you can also use them to build 3D battlespaces.

Mrmox42
2016-01-28, 02:47 AM
I have used Lego in this way many times, and it Works perfectly - apart from occasional complaints from my son, when I 'burrow' his minis.

TheLastSpectre
2016-03-10, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Campaign begins over March break.