PDA

View Full Version : The Artificial Man

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 11:54 AM
I want to build a character whose body is made up almost entirely out of spells (Polymorph and its ilk don't count, and neither do grafts).

So far, I have:
Necropolitan, for the torso and mind
Skull Trap, to serve as a head
Detect Fire, to serve as eyes
Magic Mouth, to serve as a mouth
Ghost Sound, to serve as a mouth
Grim Revenge, to produce hands/arms (control them with Rebuking)
Spider Legs, for legs
Hunter's Sense (Stance), for smell
Telepathy, for "hearing"
Soulmelds, for a possible alternate build

Any other ideas (I still would like "true" ears)?

The Glyphstone
2016-01-27, 11:58 AM
A Living Spell Ooze would be better for your main-body...Warforged need body parts like anyone else (they have no immunity to Vorpal decapitation, for instance).

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 12:06 PM
The problem is, I want to actually play as this guy, and Living Spells have no LA. Necropitan Humancould replace Warforged, I suppose.

Maybe I could be a ghost and take that prestige class that allowed you to summon Living Spells?

Flickerdart
2016-01-27, 12:14 PM
Step 1: Sentry Ooze Living Spell
Step 2: Play a Paladin, summon it as your Paladin special mount (your level needs to be its CR + 3)
Step 3: The Paladin stands in the corner and hums while the ooze is basically your character.

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 01:28 PM
Step 1: Sentry Ooze Living Spell
Step 2: Play a Paladin, summon it as your Paladin special mount (your level needs to be its CR + 3)
Step 3: The Paladin stands in the corner and hums while the ooze is basically your character.
The problem with that is that the "arms" require an Evil alignment.

Tyuqa
2016-01-27, 01:39 PM
Would a living spell of expeditious retreat work for legs?

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 01:48 PM
Would a living spell of expeditious retreat work for legs?
Doesn't that require a base land speed to begin with?

Tyuqa
2016-01-27, 02:03 PM
yeah, looking at the living spell template for eberron I don't think they would have a base land speed because "A living spell’s speed depends on the spell’s range: A spell with a range of close has a speed of 20 feet, a spell with a range of medium has a speed of 40 feet, and a spell with a range of long has a speed of 60 feet. A spell with any other range has a speed of 20 feet. If two spells with different ranges combine to make a living spell, the living spell’s speed is base on the range of the slower of the two parent spells." and it is a range of personal

any way of using a living spell of irresistible dance? that might be funny

Necroticplague
2016-01-27, 02:09 PM
Doesn't that require a base land speed to begin with?

Well, and the fact that Living Expiditious Retreat isn't a valid Living Spell. Only Area (like fireball) or Effect (like Web) spells can be made into Living Spells (but not ones where the Effect is already a creature, so no Living Summon Monster).

Tyuqa
2016-01-27, 02:17 PM
what about casting Spider Legs from Book of Vile Darkness on yourself? you would have legs then.

atemu1234
2016-01-27, 02:29 PM
Do you have to create you? Because an epic caster could make a theoretical physical copy of himself. Kind of like Clu 2 from Tron: Legacy

Flickerdart
2016-01-27, 02:44 PM
Do you have to create you? Because an epic caster could make a theoretical physical copy of himself. Kind of like Clu 2 from Tron: Legacy
You don't need to be epic. You can just do clone or astral seed and then kill yourself. As a bonus, get infected with someone else's mind seed or get mindraped so that even your mind is a product of magic.

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 03:03 PM
Well, I'd like to be able to "repair" myself if my parts get dispelled.

I don't think Clone, Ice Assassin, etc. were what I had in mind.

atemu1234
2016-01-27, 03:31 PM
Well, I'd like to be able to "repair" myself if my parts get dispelled.

I don't think Clone, Ice Assassin, etc. were what I had in mind.

Make the epic spell instantaneous. Done.

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 04:36 PM
Sorry, but Epic Spellcasting (even from an outside source) just isn't... in the feel of what I want from the build, y'know?

Spider Legs seems like it will work. I also realized that Grim Revenge automatically makes the hand(s) float, so I won't need the Eyeballs. However, the hands are also intelligent, so I'll need a decent Rebuking level to control them.

Also, I'll need a way to find a way to Persist a lot of these spells. A DMM Cleric/Chameleon with Alternate Source Spell, perhaps?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-27, 04:38 PM
You can use soulmelds to get limbs, and possibly a torso as well.

ATHATH
2016-01-27, 04:45 PM
You can use soulmelds to get limbs, and possibly a torso as well.
Do you have a list of them?

Wasn't there a Sorcerer spell that gave you a draconic tail?

I've removed most of the redundant stuff from the OP.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-27, 07:07 PM

No, I don't know incarnum all that well, but there's Girallion Arms, which gives you a pair of ghostly arms.

Ghostly tail does give you a 'tail' of force. It's from Races of the Dragon. There's also tail slap and tail sweep, wings of cover and wings of flurry.

The Viscount
2016-01-29, 01:34 PM

This handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321557-The-World-in-One-Feat-A-Shape-Soulmeld-Handbook) has all of the melds from MoI. There are a few more in Dragon Magic, notably Dragon Tail, which gives you a tail.

As for a nose, you can gain the effects of a nose (that is, scent) from Hunter's Sense, a level 1 Tiger Claw stance.

MisterKaws
2016-01-29, 05:09 PM
Girallon Arms and Lamia Belt are what you're looking for.

ATHATH
2016-01-29, 08:11 PM
Soulmelds and sense of smell added.

Now I just need ears, and I think I'll be set. There's bound to be a Bard spell that lets you remotely hear stuff, right?

Nifft
2016-01-30, 10:41 AM
You could skip hearing and just go straight for Telepathy (presumably with the Mindsight feat).

That allows communication, and the acoustical slack can be picked up by your party members (i.e. "the hired help").

ATHATH
2016-01-30, 12:46 PM
Telepathy added.

The Viscount
2016-01-30, 01:38 PM
Scorpion's Sense gives you the ability to sense the vibrations of creatures within 10 feet, so that's a sort of hearing.

You can also use sense link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/senseLink.htm) to hear what another creature hears.

Venger
2016-01-30, 01:42 PM
while you are undead, so can cast grim revenge, it's an expensive spell to cast that often if your hands are destroyed. create crawling claw is a lot easier, and will allow you to have a larger and less expensive bank of severed hands should you need to use your current ones for nefarious activities.