PDA

View Full Version : Construct Companion? Plant Companion?

Albions_Angel
2016-01-27, 02:59 PM
Hi all

Are there ways to legally (without begging the DM) acquire construct or plant companions? Have a couple of character concepts floating around in my head but I dont know if they are even possible. What about fey companions?

Obviously there is leadership. You could snag a warforged or fey cohort with that. But that seems a lot of effort for what could potentially be a really weak companion compared to a druids animal companion.

And I know of the Web based spider thief. That sounds fairly cool, and you can have more than one (and a DM is more likely to budge on changing the lack of interest in scouting than allowing you to take a companion straight up).

But thats all I know. Summons dont really count. I guess you could bind a fey? But I am out of ideas for constructs and plants.

Flickerdart
2016-01-27, 03:01 PM
There's an urban druid in some Dragon Magazine that grants an alternate list of companions, among them Animated Objects.

Albions_Angel
2016-01-27, 03:06 PM
Dragon Compendium I think. Nicely remembered. And it can get a larger and larger one at various levels. Hmm.

Vaz
2016-01-27, 03:14 PM
I think a Talontar Blightlord (?) iirc gets blitspawned companions, which can be put onto a Plant. Although it is more of a zombie plant thing.

ComaVision
2016-01-27, 03:20 PM
You could pick up the Craft Construct feat and make yourself a companion as well, all though that wouldn't get the companion bonuses.

Dunsparce
2016-01-27, 03:21 PM
The previously mentioned Urban Druid has different-sized Animated object to choose from(Alongside various Vermin and some oddballs that fit neither group)

Dragon Magazine has an ACF that replaces a Druid's Animal Companion with a Plant Companion that you can Customize with new mutations and abilities as you gain levels in Druid.

Zaq
2016-01-27, 03:25 PM
AFB right this second, but I think Artificers get a homunculus companion, don't they? I'm pretty sure homunculi are Constructs.

Zaydos
2016-01-27, 03:33 PM
If Dragon Magazine (not Dragon Compendium this time, sorry) is allowed issue #357 had an ACF for druid that got a plant companion... and I'm not sure of the cohesiveness of the design (or else it's intended to be possible to get a companion with 32 HD at 20th level).

Albions_Angel
2016-01-27, 03:35 PM
Dragon Mag is always an odd one. At the moment, i am between games. These are concept characters I am stockpiling. So in theory there is no restriction on source material.

The issue is, its hard enough to get some DMs allowing ToM and ToB, let alone Dragon Mag. I also have 0 idea on how to access said articles, legally or otherwise. But nice to know there is something in there.

On a side note, how often do you guys get dms that allow Dragon Mag?

ComaVision
2016-01-27, 03:43 PM
On a side note, how often do you guys get dms that allow Dragon Mag?

100% of the time because nearly everyone I play with learned the game from me.