PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monastic Tradition: Way of the Jedi

Keundt
2016-01-27, 09:22 PM
Read some of the other versions out there and formed my own. I got most of my inspiration from Human Paragon 3's Jedi tradition. Recently I've been interested in skill-based spellcasting instead of simply using spell slots. It's like pressing a button for an effect. Currently I'm playing in a campaign as a monk, so I'm in a monk mood. I did post Conduit a few days ago, and hopefully I might make a class (or make a conduit revision) to further make more skill-based casting.

Lightsaber: I'm thinking 1d8 radiant damage or 1d6 + 1 radiant damage. 1d6 straight seems weak for a lightsaber, but 1d6 + 1 seems to be a nice dynamic to choose between that and 1d8 at higher levels. Finesse and versatile. 1 or 2 lbs.

Monastic Tradition:
Way of the Jedi

No need for fluff. There are options for Jedi, Sith and neutral (Gray) Jedi. You can receive a lightsaber from this class, but broader options are available for non-Star Wars campaigns. The major skill used for abilities is Insight. The roleplay features at 3rd level might be a little complex, but if you are either 100% Jedi or Sith you don't have to bother with the corruption mechanic.

Bonus Weapon Proficiency: When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in one light or finesse weapon of your choice. (Note: this can be a scimitar, lightsaber, other homebrew weapon, etc. You may be required to go on a quest to receive your lightsaber crystal and then build it first, which could be at 3rd level, or any time the group sees fit.) This weapon counts as a monk weapon.

Finesse Combat: Also at 3rd level, you can make a melee weapon attack with a finesse monk weapon instead of an unarmed strike when you use your Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows class features.

Force Sensitive:
You receive the mage hand cantrip.
Range: 120 feet. When morale is boosted, or monastic peace is within range, you can feel it. When death, anger, hatred, or a creature with an Evil or especially the Chaotic Evil alignment is within range, you feel cold and disturbed, unless you yourself is of an Evil alignment. Additionally, you can make a Wisdom (Insight) check against a DC of 15 to discover a target creature's alignment. This creature must be within range. For an unknown creature or during your first encounter, you must have this creature's location to make the check. Once you have checked a creature's alignment, whenever you make the Insight check and pass, you can recognize the force signature and the creature without the creature's location during future encounters.
You gain one force ability (see below), and one more at 6th, 11th and 17th levels.
Most force abilities require a particular skill check to use, which must beat a DC of 15. You may instead use your Ki to use these abilities depending on its spell level (no more than 5th level). Refer to Way of the Four Elements for the rules. For example, you may either make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to use Force Jump or spend 2 Ki points to cast the Jump spell.
Certain force abilities have the Corruption trait. When you use these abilities, you must make a Wisdom saving throw or be subject to corruption. You are proficient in this saving throw if you are of a Good alignment. On a failed save, you have the Corrupted trait, and are drawn and vulnerable to evil. You may choose to embrace evil and immediately have the Evil alignment. If you fail the saving throw a second time, you become Evil. If you are Evil, you may choose to become Chaotic Evil. You may return to your original alignment either through a meditation session or a moment of solitude (once per long rest), which requires another Wisdom saving throw, or after experiencing a major change in character development. You may also do this if you have been corrupted via the corruption variant system if your DM uses it.

Force Abilities
Extend Senses (Insight): Blindsight 30 ft, +10 ft per Ki point added.
Force Choke (Corruption): Requires 17th level: You can use your action and spend 6 Ki points to choke a creature with the power of the force. That creature makes a Strength saving throw or take 1d10 bludgeoning damage. They must also make a Constitution saving throw. If it fails, it immediately begins to suffocate and may not hold its breath. On each of its turns, the target can make another Constitution saving throw to end this effect. The effect also ends if you cease to concentrate on it, just as if you were concentrating on a spell.
Force Command (Persuasion) (or Deception, Corruption): Command spell.
Force Guidance (Insight, requires a Good alignment): Guidance or Bless on self. (Note: "Use the Force".)
Force Hold (Athletics): Requires 6th level: Hold Person spell.
Force Jump (Acrobatics): Jump spell. You may also use this feature when you use Step of the Wind.
Force Lightning (Corruption): You may spend 2 Ki points to cast the Witch Bolt spell.
Force Mind (Insight, Corruption): Requires 6th level: Detect Thoughts spell, but you must touch a creature to use the spell's effect on them. When you dig deeper, you can deal Xd10 psychic damage, where X is equal to the amount of Ki points spent (no more than 6 Ki points). You may deal the damage after you receive the information.
Force Push/Pull (Corruption if used consecutively): When making an unarmed strike with your hands, you may spend 1 Ki point to increase its range to 30 feet, use your Wisdom modifier for the attack and damage rolls, and the damage type is changed to force. The target creature must also make a Strength saving throw, regardless of whether the attack hit or missed. If it fails, they are either pushed or pulled back by 20 ft and knocked prone. On a successful save and were hit by the attack, they take half damage. If the target has the Ki or Spellcasting features, they may instead make a Wisdom saving throw.
Improved Deflect Missiles: You can deflect with a monk weapon, and when you make an attack with the projectile, you instead use a Wisdom (Insight) check against the target's AC.
Magic Attuned (Insight): Detect Magic spell. (Note: for non-Star Wars campaigns, magic Star Wars campaigns and crossovers.)
Mind Link (Insight): Sending spell.
Mind Trick (Persuasion) (or Deception, Corruption): Requires 6th level: Suggestion spell.
Sense Other (Insight): Requires 11th level: Locate Creature spell.

Force Adept: At 6th level, as a bonus action, you can spend 1 Ki point to gain advantage either Dexterity checks or Force ability checks until the start of your next turn. You may spend an additional Ki point to gain advantage on both types of checks.

Force Acolyte: At 11th level, you may spend 2 Ki points to reroll a failed Dexterity or Force ability check.

Force Master: At 17th level, you may spend 3 Ki points to automatically pass a Dexterity or Force ability check.

Should the 6th, 11th and 17th features exist? I thought they'd be appropriate as a force user gains expertise in their skills, because it's not likely that a level 20 Sith would fail their checks.

Comment your thoughts! :D

Hitdice
2016-01-28, 10:48 AM
My own homebrew lightsaber, um, laser sword, is simply a monk weapon (no need for finesse as monk can just do that with monk weapons) which does 1d4 radiant damage with the versatile property , allowing monks to increase their unarmed damage die by one step, to a maximum of d12 at level 17. Why so under powered? I really want my not-lightsabers to be useful only to my not-jedi, so all the other classes don't use them and make them too common.

But that's just me; I'm a bit of a douchebag, and if my players aren't dissatisfied I assume they're getting away with something. :mad:.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-28, 01:16 PM
Pretty cool you did it this way! I don't really have many negative comments

Lightsaber: 1d6+1 is weird. Go for 1d4 + dex normal + 1d4 radiant, but the radiant only for Jedi.

Then just put finesse combat away. When unarmed damage increases you still get +1d4 radiant. That on two attack per round. Jedi fighting with fist and sword is even cooler.