PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Warlock?

Shadowscale
2016-01-27, 10:09 PM
In pathfinder what wold the playground say is the closest equivalent to a warlock fantasy? As I know the kinneticist seems close to the 3.5 class, and the witch is close flavor wise, I was still wondering what other's thought and opinions were on what they seemed the closest to the class concept at its core?

Secret Wizard
2016-01-27, 10:45 PM
As in "dude who can spam a blast forever"? Kineticist.

As in "dude who can use spells in a weird manner"? Probably Arcanist or Sorcerer.

As in "dude who makes deals with occult beings"? Probably Occultist or Witch.

The Ravensong
2016-01-27, 10:46 PM
There is a Warlock for pathfinder through a third party, but it is poorly written (specifically the damage reduction)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/warlock
I'd honestly suggest running the 3.5 Warlock instead.

Shadowscale
2016-01-27, 10:55 PM
There is a Warlock for pathfinder through a third party, but it is poorly written (specifically the damage reduction)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/warlock
I'd honestly suggest running the 3.5 Warlock instead.

I was hoping for something PFS legal, just something close flavor wise to the warlock with similar mechanics. Seems like a missed opportunity on Pazio's part.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-27, 11:30 PM
Kineticist is disgusting, don't touch it. The Warlock was a great class from a game design perspective: simple to build, simple to play, hard to screw up, flavorful as heck. The Kineticist, on the other hand, is approximately clear as muck, has no useful flavor, is far less flexible than the Warlock, has poorly-written and contradictory class features, beats itself into oblivion trying to continue meaningfully, and generally resists all efforts to be useful. I spent a few hours trying to make one the other day and got nowhere useful. **** the Kineticist.

Flavor and function are going to be hard to match, I think. Pathfinder seems to have a real aversion to at-will abilities- even weak one like Bloodline derived energy attacks tend to be limited. Maybe Thundercaller? Hex-users like the Witch and Shaman get some stuff, though no at-will blast, and have a reasonably compatible flavor. The Occult classes might be worth looking into as well, from a creepy magic guy perspective.

N. Jolly
2016-01-28, 12:02 AM
As opposed to Grod, I've had a lot of fun with the kineticist, and it's basically what you're looking for as a substitute Warlock. Infusions mimic the ways that they modified their blast, utility wild talents help mimic their odd sort of spellcasting, and the rest of the mechanics basically line up as needed. Burn is a weird mechanic and I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, but it's something you can play around instead of fighting against, allowing a more symbiotic relationship. It's kind of like an oracle but with one rather large curse; it's a hindrance but doesn't make it unplayable.

Check my signature for the guide to the kineticist that I wrote that will help you understand the class better and make your way around it without falling into some of the problems others have had with it (it also includes some 3P content that I wrote, but that's easily avoided if desired.)

Overall it is a tricky class, but I don't feel like the negatives outweigh the positives at all. Try building one, playing around with it, and see what you think. And remember; try to top off your elemental overflow with burn at the beginning of the day through the use of your elemental defense if you can, actually taking burn using blast should be a rare situation used for big offenses. Gather energy is your friend, it's how you buff your blast instead of taking burn.

Arutema
2016-01-28, 12:20 AM
Overall it is a tricky class, but I don't feel like the negatives outweigh the positives at all. Try building one, playing around with it, and see what you think. And remember; try to top off your elemental overflow with burn at the beginning of the day through the use of your elemental defense if you can, actually taking burn using blast should be a rare situation used for big offenses. Gather energy is your friend, it's how you buff your blast instead of taking burn.

This. Also, remember eldritch glaive kinetic blade and kinetic whip let you full-attack with your blast and work with weapon finesse. This makes the kineticist one of the better "switch-hitters" in Pathfinder.

If it's more the flavor of the warlock you're after, also consider the hexcrafter magus, who gets some of the witch's at-will goodies on the magus's medium-BAB chassis.

Sayt
2016-01-28, 04:06 PM
Thematically, I've always been a fan of the Blackfire Adept (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/darkfire-adept) from Paths of prestige. You can enter through most any of the 9 casters. it loses 3 CL, but that still nets you ninth level spells on a prepared caster.

Orion Hamby
2016-01-28, 06:12 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?314958-A-Pathfinder-Warlock-A-Conversion-by-Master-Arminas it's homebrew, but it plays great, not OP or anything it's a great boon to those Warnock fans out there (like me)

Gnaeus
2016-01-28, 06:40 PM
I always thought Alchemist was also intended as a warlock equivalent. Bombs replace blasts. They aren't at will, but you get quite a few. Discoveries can modify bombs much like blast invocations. Not perfect, but similar I think.