PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Quick advice on an Incantatrix build

dps_kane
2016-01-27, 11:44 PM
Hey everyone!

I have an Incantatrix build and I'd like to hear a few opinions from the community.

My char is a grey elf, wiz5/inca3, neutral evil. feats at lvl 1, 3 and 6 are Otherworldly (more for the flavor - some other feats would be better, but it's still a strong feat), Iron Will and Spell Focus (*add something fitting*). Bonus feats are Extend and Persistent Spell.
Craft Wondrous Items and Arcane Disciple (Destiny; for "Choose Destiny") are must have feats for later.
The whole character uses incantatrix cheese defensively. can't kill the char, but no wading into melee planned and no too extreme stuff on the offensive side.
Note that whether we go epic or not, is not known - it could happen.

Now..... I considered 3 routes and all have their pros and cons and I'd just like to hear what your opinions are, short and concise or lengthy, up to you :)

Route 1: Stay a wizard. Get 7-10 Incantatrix levels in total, add maybe archmage and wyrm wizard. Archmage for CL bump, arcane reach, shaping and maybe SLA thingy. wyrm wizard is just a maybe - costs 1 CL and one SKL (spell known level), but gives access to GVotD (greater visage of the deity). Note that there is no evil god with a domain that contains this spell, so via Arcane Disciple this spell cannot be acquired. In general, though, 20 levels of wizard are also fine. If someone wants to mention War Weaver - I love the class and find it amazing, and it fits TOTALLY my personal playing style (team-buffer), but I ruled it out for nonrational reasons. In total: 19-20 SKL, 20-21 CL, if skipping archmage, many less powerful but usefull PrCs can be taken

Route 2: Mindbender next, 2 levels Ur-Priest, followed by 8 levels of MT. This requires practiced spellcaster on the wizard side, and 2 levels of SKL are lost - but GVotD is available plus every damn other cleric spell (and many new spell slots). I lean more to route 2 than route 1, even though I am not that much interested in most other cleric spells. Still, having more spell slots and especially lots of new spells available is pretty neat. Downside: only once I take inca4 do I get the 3rd MM feat. And there are simply no other goodies - archmage has some real nice utility in his pocket.

Route 3: Nar demonbinder next (note that ND caster level is at 6 when taken as 9th level - incantatrix levels don't count), plus practiced spellcaster, making it effectively CL 10 (trimmed to 9 due to HD - temporarily). and then UM. if 9 levels are taken, all SKL bumps go to wizard only UM10 would go to nar demonbinder. at lvl 18 that leaves wiz at SKL 17 and CL 20, ND fully progressed and at CL 19. 2 levels are left. if there is no epic, then i'd probably take practiced spellcaster at lvl 18 (after class choices have been made) for wizard and take 2 wyrm wizard levels for GVotD. wizard SKL is 18, CL 23, and in addition to all the incantatrix persistent cheese the UM can modify up to lvl 4 spells on the fly. CL of 23 (+items) makes it hard to dispel anything, btw.
if going epic, the last two levels would probably be wiz+1 and UM+1 and we move into epic UM - allowing MM cheese on lvl 9 spells with UM18. that's pritty nifty, but there is no access to GVotD before lvl 30, which is sad. but well....

which of the 3 routes do you like the most? simple route 1, some flexibility and no (or almost no) SKL loss, but nothing outstanding, route 2 with access to all cleric spells but basically NOTHING else (plus a shortage in MM feats) or route 3, which gives high CL, all the UM goodies, but no divine spell goodies - and is probably the most promising route if going epic?

sorry for the wall of text :)

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-28, 12:35 AM
I dislike playing casters, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Nar Demonbinder is the way to go. Summons are way fun. Planar Binding is way fun. The other options are all power gaming tropes.
Option 1 is "I want ubercaster!"
Option 2 is "I want ALL the SPELLS!" and
Option 3 is "I enjoy gambling with my life and soul!"

Which totally plays way better than the first two options because surprise surprise, you're a caster who takes a flippin risk once in a while. You can't play a Nar demonbinder as a paranoid, you have to play them with swagger. Usually evil swagger. But swagger nonetheless.

dps_kane
2016-01-28, 11:10 PM
well....
with one lvl of NarD my char does not really have the essence of that class ;)
so it's just another form of uber caster :)