PDA

View Full Version : Born of Three Thunders

Raltar
2007-06-15, 01:20 AM
I'm currently playing a wizard and I'll be taking levels of stormcaster when I can. I thought the feat Born of Three Thunders fsounded pretty damn cool, but I dunno if it's really worth it. Wondered if I could get your opinions on the subject.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-15, 01:23 AM
I am told that it is underpowered, but it looks awfully tempting for a blaster (which I am also told are underpowered).

TheOOB
2007-06-15, 01:48 AM
One the one hand, born of three thunders gives you a method of gaining sonic damage, something that si diddicult to get, and it also might stun your opponents, on the other it makes you dazed for a round, which basically gets you killed.

The_Snark
2007-06-15, 01:56 AM
Try pairing it with Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness, which will give you a shot at recovering from the daze. It can be dangerous to use otherwise, since leaving you dazed means they have a couple turns to kill you if they made their save.

Raltar
2007-06-15, 01:57 AM
What if I'm flying...and then get dazed from a Born of the Three Thunders spell? Do I fall or am I dazed...just flying?

Kurald Galain
2007-06-15, 02:00 AM
Try Improved Invisibility.

Yechezkiel
2007-06-15, 02:02 AM
What if I'm flying...and then get dazed from a Born of the Three Thunders spell? Do I fall or am I dazed...just flying?

"Dazed: The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.
A dazed condition typically lasts 1 round."

I believe it depends on how you are flying. Winged and most natural flight, or flight that requires concentration probably would begin falling if dazed.

Raltar
2007-06-15, 02:06 AM
What about flight from a Fly spell? I'm reading the discription and it says it only requires as much concentration as walking...but you can't walk when dazed. So I suppose not. Improved invis would be a good idea, too...unless someone casts true seeing or dispels it some other way.

The_Snark
2007-06-15, 02:08 AM
You wouldn't fall, unless you had a maneuverability of Average or below. When you're dazed, you can still defend yourself; you're just together enough to dodge attacks. I'd say that means you can hover while dazed, assuming of course that your maneuverability lets you hover.

Raltar
2007-06-15, 02:20 AM
Thanks for all the information so far. Really appreciate it.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-15, 06:23 AM
If you have Beholder flight, or you're Air Elemental Savant, your flight should not require any motion on your part, so that should be fine as well.

Person_Man
2007-06-15, 01:31 PM
Stormcaster+Born of Three Thunders+Quick Recovery is a standard combo. Add in Fly and Greater Invisibility, and you'll be set.

WARNING: Using this build will cause your DM to throw an inordinate number of plants, undead, constructs, etc. at your group, because they're immune to Stun effects. I like to counter this by using a Sorcerer and putting Summon and anti-undead spells into my spell list.