PDA

View Full Version : Grappling & Prisoners causing a problem?

WereRabbitz
2016-01-28, 01:40 PM
In our first few sessions i've used the Grapple action numerous times. I've tackled fleeing goblins, took a Chief Goblin prisoner to trade for help killing a bugbear, and captured a brigand that helped us dodge traps, find hidden rooms, and even surprise the boss (I used him as a distraction so I could grapple the wizard boss and make the shortest boss fight ever :P )

While this has helped us avoid pitfalls, get surprise on the boss, and avoid alerting the enemy NPC's it has had drawbacks with my fellow players.

I play a ancients paladin with a entertainer background. I'm going for friendly, upbeat, and forgiving. So I try to give them chances to redeem themselves by helping our cause instead of being another casualty.

the downside... is the DM has not awarded any bonus exp or inspiration dice for these actions.

Fellow players often want to kill and rob the people I grapple, and I drew blades on our rogue I caught stealing from a brigand I swear a oath to protect and pay out of my own pocket if he would assist us in stopping a evil wizard. The Brigand was making good on his word and I noticed the rogue stealing from him, and saw through his lie trying to cover it up.

We came across a particular hard to beat beast that offered safe passage if he let it have a fresh food to eat (a person). The lawful good cleric and I defended our prisoner while the rest wanted to throw him in. It was resolved with the monster taking a freshly killed npc instead.

While I don't throw oaths out willy nilly or very often, I feel I have to fight the group to keep this from being a 100% hack and slash event.

Should I stick it out and keep looking for alternative paths? Or draw the blade and dive on in?

Thanks!

gfishfunk
2016-01-28, 01:51 PM
First: ask the rest of the party if they are cool with the interparty conflict as is. If they are, then you are golden. No need to do anything else.

Douche
2016-01-28, 01:51 PM
Kinda hard to get the party to decide not to kill prisoners when they're done with them. Are you the only one who values their lives? If so then you're better off not being the odd man out, you don't want to be the sole source of friction in the group.

On the other hand, if your group considers themselves "good" then they shouldn't really be executing helpless prisoners. Call their morality into question and see what happens.

RickAllison
2016-01-28, 01:53 PM
In our first few sessions i've used the Grapple action numerous times. I've tackled fleeing goblins, took a Chief Goblin prisoner to trade for help killing a bugbear, and captured a brigand that helped us dodge traps, find hidden rooms, and even surprise the boss (I used him as a distraction so I could grapple the wizard boss and make the shortest boss fight ever :P )

While this has helped us avoid pitfalls, get surprise on the boss, and avoid alerting the enemy NPC's it has had drawbacks with my fellow players.

I play a ancients paladin with a entertainer background. I'm going for friendly, upbeat, and forgiving. So I try to give them chances to redeem themselves by helping our cause instead of being another casualty.

the downside... is the DM has not awarded any bonus exp or inspiration dice for these actions.

Fellow players often want to kill and rob the people I grapple, and I drew blades on our rogue I caught stealing from a brigand I swear a oath to protect and pay out of my own pocket if he would assist us in stopping a evil wizard. The Brigand was making good on his word and I noticed the rogue stealing from him, and saw through his lie trying to cover it up.

We came across a particular hard to beat beast that offered safe passage if he let it have a fresh food to eat (a person). The lawful good cleric and I defended our prisoner while the rest wanted to throw him in. It was resolved with the monster taking a freshly killed npc instead.

While I don't throw oaths out willy nilly or very often, I feel I have to fight the group to keep this from being a 100% hack and slash event.

Should I stick it out and keep looking for alternative paths? Or draw the blade and dive on in?

Thanks!

Stay strong, the character dynamic sounds like it will be a fun experience in the long-run. As for Inspiration dice, feel free to ask your DM about it. You may find that by explaining why you feel you've earned Inspiration that the DM simply hadn't thought of it from that point of view. A rogue might convince the DM he should get it for using his wits to drop a chandelier on someone, a cleric might get it due to acts of charity, and your character might deserve it for seeking to end conflicts non-lethally.

gfishfunk
2016-01-28, 01:59 PM
Inspiration die are easy to forget to award, as well. It could be that the GM just forgets.

There is a lot of GM fiat with inspiration. Sometimes, they award RP, other times they award cool ideas or whatever. Ask you GM when and how he rewards inspiration. It really is an incentive program to get GMs and players on the same page.

WereRabbitz
2016-01-28, 03:19 PM
I'm not so concerned about the inspiration dice or bonus exp, Just thought I was thinking out side of hte box and maybe doing it with the wrong group. Thanks for the advice!