PDA

View Full Version : Updating Prestige Classes to 5e

thedanster7000
2016-01-28, 01:50 PM
I like Prestige Classes (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf) and want to convert them to 5e. I've converted the Dashing Swordsman (based on this (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/34kib0/5e_dashing_swordsman_archetype/) 5e Homebrew Fighter Archetype).
Please post any conversions you've made/ideas for conversions as I'd like to use them and would appreciate any I could use. Thanks in advance!

Prerequisites: 13 Dex, Level 5, Proficiency in Performance and Rapier.
Hit Die: 1d8
Choose 2 skills from: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, or trade a Skill proficiency for a Tool Proficiency.

1st Level
Dramatic Entrance: damage from entering a scene is reduced by up to Xd6, where X is your Fighter level, if the DM deems it dramatic enough.
Sharp Wit: when attacking with a finesse weapon in melee, you can use your Charisma modifier in place of Dexterity for attack and damage rolls, provided the attack is accompanied by a joke or pun.

2nd level
Duelling Parry: as long as you are wearing light or no armour, you may use your reaction to give Disadvantage the first melee attack made against you before the start of your next turn.

3rd level
Heroic Spirit: you gain advantage on saves against mind-affecting effects originating from a hostile source.

4th level
Improved Dramatic Entrance: If you successfully pull off a Dramatic Entrance, you may make a weapon attack against a target within 5 feet as a bonus action.

5th level
Improvise: You may add half your proficiency modifier to any skill you are not proficient with a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.

Joe the Rat
2016-01-28, 03:03 PM
You need to shift around so you can put an ASI at level 4.

It definitely captures the essence of the Dashing Swordsman.

Also, compare against the Swashbuckler Rogue archetype. Would this be a better alternative to a rogue multiclass? Would there be something to gain here for a Swashbuckler?

Also, can we get more Performance usage? It seems like the DS ought to be rolling Performance for things -maybe tied to the Dramatic Entrance.

You could just give resistance to entry damage, or d10 + DS level (as monks fall damage). I am assuming the reference to Fighter levels should refer to the class level.

Twelvetrees
2016-01-28, 03:18 PM
I'd link you to all sixteen that have been made on giantitp, but I figure it's easier for you to just click on the link to the Homebrew Compendium in my signature and scroll down to the fifth post.

thedanster7000
2016-01-28, 03:40 PM
I'd link you to all sixteen that have been made on giantitp, but I figure it's easier for you to just click on the link to the Homebrew Compendium in my signature and scroll down to the fifth post.

Thank you! I'd looked around for a while for post-UA prestige classes but couldn't find many, I'm going to use these! :smallbiggrin:

thepsyker
2016-01-28, 05:04 PM
I like Prestige Classes (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf) and want to convert them to 5e. I've converted the Dashing Swordsman (based on this (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/34kib0/5e_dashing_swordsman_archetype/) 5e Homebrew Fighter Archetype).
Please post any conversions you've made/ideas for conversions as I'd like to use them and would appreciate any I could use. Thanks in advance!

Prerequisites: 13 Dex, Level 5, Proficiency in Performance and Rapier.
Hit Die: 1d8
Choose 2 skills from: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, or trade a Skill proficiency for a Tool Proficiency.
Given that, if memory serves, multiclassing normally gives at most a skill and a tool proficiency (afb but bards get a skill and instrument proficiency and rogues get a skill and thieves tool if I remember correctly) two skill seems a bit much.

1st Level
Dramatic Entrance: damage from entering a scene is reduced by up to Xd6, where X is your Fighter level, if the DM deems it dramatic enough.
Sharp Wit: when attacking with a finesse weapon in melee, you can use your Charisma modifier in place of Dexterity for attack and damage rolls, provided the attack is accompanied by a joke or pun.
Dramatic Entrance: This could maybe use some examples of "damage from entering a scene" like slashing damage from jumping through a glass window or fall damage from swinging in on a chandelier and if we are leaving it up to the DM for what qualifies as "dramatic" it might be simpler to have them just wave the damage entirely. Still seems the basis for a solid ribbon ability.
Sharp Wit: Replacing Dex entirely on attacks/damage for Charisma seems to clash a little with the 13 Dex prerequisite and the finesse weapon requirement. Those both would encourage one to invest in Dex for the 5 levels before you can enter the prestige class, only for that investment to lose some of it's value after you take this class. Perhaps a flat Charisma bonus to damage would be a better fit?

2nd level
Duelling Parry: as long as you are wearing light or no armour, you may use your reaction to give Disadvantage the first melee attack made against you before the start of your next turn.

Duelling Parry: This would seem to depend on if this Prestige class is open to everyone including Rogues or not. If it is open to Rogues this would seem to overlap with the Rogues Uncanny Dodge feature, if not it is a pretty solid option.

3rd level
Heroic Spirit: you gain advantage on saves against mind-affecting effects originating from a hostile source.

4th level
Improved Dramatic Entrance: If you successfully pull off a Dramatic Entrance, you may make a weapon attack against a target within 5 feet as a bonus action.
These both sound good, with the same caveat of maybe providing an example of a "Dramatic Entrance."

5th level
Improvise: You may add half your proficiency modifier to any skill you are not proficient with a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.
This sounds a bit like a weaker version of the Bard's 2nd level Jack of All Trades ability, which might be a bit underwhelming for the capping feature of a prestige class.

Overall if one is interested in Prestige Classes as opposed to Archetypes it seems like a solid start, with maybe just a little polish needed.

thedanster7000
2016-01-28, 05:20 PM
Given that, if memory serves, multiclassing normally gives at most a skill and a tool proficiency (afb but bards get a skill and instrument proficiency and rogues get a skill and thieves tool if I remember correctly) two skill seems a bit much.

Dramatic Entrance: This could maybe use some examples of "damage from entering a scene" like slashing damage from jumping through a glass window or fall damage from swinging in on a chandelier and if we are leaving it up to the DM for what qualifies as "dramatic" it might be simpler to have them just wave the damage entirely. Still seems the basis for a solid ribbon ability.
Sharp Wit: Replacing Dex entirely on attacks/damage for Charisma seems to clash a little with the 13 Dex prerequisite and the finesse weapon requirement. Those both would encourage one to invest in Dex for the 5 levels before you can enter the prestige class, only for that investment to lose some of it's value after you take this class. Perhaps a flat Charisma bonus to damage would be a better fit?

Duelling Parry: This would seem to depend on if this Prestige class is open to everyone including Rogues or not. If it is open to Rogues this would seem to overlap with the Rogues Uncanny Dodge feature, if not it is a pretty solid option.

These both sound good, with the same caveat of maybe providing an example of a "Dramatic Entrance."

This sounds a bit like a weaker version of the Bard's 2nd level Jack of All Trades ability, which might be a bit underwhelming for the capping feature of a prestige class.

Overall if one is interested in Prestige Classes as opposed to Archetypes it seems like a solid start, with maybe just a little polish needed.

All completely valid points, thanks for analysing it so well! Here's the link to a much better one that I found in Twelvetrees' homebrew list: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427696-Dashing-Swordsman-Prestige-Class-(WIP)