PDA

View Full Version : Master Spellthief Confusion...

weckar
2016-01-28, 04:38 PM
So, let's see if I got this right:

Master spellthief stacks spellthief levels and levels in arcane caster levels stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells.

Now, I'm confused: It says levels, not caster levels. So an increase in caster level in any of these caster levels would not boost the sum of class levels used to determine your caster level for all arcane spells.

Yet, much of the abuse of this feat I see focuses on giving any of these classes more caster levels. Which wouldn't work.

At best, it could be used to stack levels of separate arcane spellcaster classes - but you'd be behind in spell levels quickly.

Or - am I just misreading the feat?

Cerefel
2016-01-28, 05:16 PM
Your spellthief level is added to your caster level.

A spellthief 1/wizard 4 would have a CL of 5

HolyDraconus
2016-01-28, 05:24 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?57238-Master-Spellthief-Confusion

Was covered previously. Basically a case of stupid wording.

Troacctid
2016-01-28, 06:08 PM
It says "arcane spellcaster levels." This isn't a defined game term the way "caster level" is. AFAIK, most people interpret it like you did, as class levels, not caster levels. It's what makes the most sense in context, since the bit right before it was crystal-clear in referring to class levels. Other people read "spellcaster level" as synonymous with "caster level," and I suppose you can't really blame them, can you? It's not much of a stretch.

Regardless of which side you take, the rules are not very clear on what counts as an arcane spellcasting class or an arcane spellcaster level, especially once you start talking about prestige classes.

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-29, 02:40 AM
Regardless of which side you take, the rules are not very clear on what counts as an arcane spellcasting class or an arcane spellcaster level, especially once you start talking about prestige classes.

Especially if you're a master spellthief rage mage, which during a spell rage makes your caster levels equal to your character level...