PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Oversize weapons, reach, etc..

graeylin
2016-01-28, 08:37 PM
I admit, I can't work my head around the rules on weapon sizes, and threat ranges. A medium fighter wielding an oversize guisarme, for example....

What is the threat range of a Large reach weapon in the hands of a medium creature?

Necroticplague
2016-01-28, 08:41 PM
I admit, I can't work my head around the rules on weapon sizes, and threat ranges. A medium fighter wielding an oversize guisarme, for example....

What is the threat range of a Large reach weapon in the hands of a medium creature?

5 feet. I'm not sure where, but I'm entirely certain I remember reading that Reach weapons only work for creatures of the size category that the weapon was meant for.

Troacctid
2016-01-28, 08:45 PM
The only way you can get extra reach by using an oversized weapon is by being a Drunken Master of 4th level or higher.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-28, 10:03 PM
5 feet. I'm not sure where, but I'm entirely certain I remember reading that Reach weapons only work for creatures of the size category that the weapon was meant for.

You might want to get your memory checked. That rule only applies to reach weapons that are too small for the wielder (Rules Compendium, p.151). The very next sentence states that using an oversized weapon doesn't grant you any additional reach, so a Medium creature using a Large or larger reach weapon still only has a 10-foot reach.

graeylin
2016-01-28, 10:28 PM
thank you. Rules Compendium is one "book"/resource I don't own.

MisterKaws
2016-01-29, 08:33 AM
Though it does look silly when wielding a 20-foot guisarme gives you 10-foot reach. I just houserule oversized weapons as Osmium-Adamant alloy versions of normal weapons.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-29, 06:31 PM
Though it does look silly when wielding a 20-foot guisarme gives you 10-foot reach. I just houserule oversized weapons as Osmium-Adamant alloy versions of normal weapons.

You can explain that away, though. I usually just say that the additional size and weight require a grip closer to the center so that you can use the extra haft length for counter-balance. See? Simple.

MisterKaws
2016-01-30, 11:35 PM
You can explain that away, though. I usually just say that the additional size and weight require a grip closer to the center so that you can use the extra haft length for counter-balance. See? Simple.

Even then, gripping the middle of a colossal greatsword still means you have something close to 30ft of usable lenght, so it still doesn't work very well.