PDA

View Full Version : The Baniest Bane

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-29, 01:10 AM
Random thought; what creature can you have the most Bane properties applied at once? The highest I can think of is 3, against a Race God with a 4-corner alignment. Like a Elven, Chaotic Good Outsider Bane Dagger against Corellon Lorenthian. But that seems silly because what does +6 and +2d6+6 do against a god? Not much.

Felyndiira
2016-01-29, 04:46 AM
There's too much in 3.5 to keep track of, though I can probably get up to a fair number in pathfinder:

Aasimar [Outsider (native)]
+ Scion of Humanity [Humanoid (Human)]
+ Racial Heritage [Humanoid (something else)]
+ Fey-Touched [Fey]
+ Elemental Creature [Outsider (fire)]
+ Mixed Blood Feat [Choose one]

That's 6 banes, but requires some amount of template and feat stacking to achieve.

MisterKaws
2016-01-29, 08:43 AM
First thing: those dice bonuses stack, so it's a LOT more than just 2d6.

Now, I guess you forgot about magebane, that works against Corellon too, he's a wizard.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-29, 10:29 AM
There's too much in 3.5 to keep track of, though I can probably get up to a fair number in pathfinder:

Aasimar [Outsider (native)]
+ Scion of Humanity [Humanoid (Human)]
+ Racial Heritage [Humanoid (something else)]
+ Fey-Touched [Fey]
+ Elemental Creature [Outsider (fire)]
+ Mixed Blood Feat [Choose one]

That's 6 banes, but requires some amount of template and feat stacking to achieve.

Is Outsider (Fire) an option? I thought it was only the alignments?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-29, 10:41 AM
A kobold with Human Heritage, Otherworldly, and Dragonwrought, while casting the aberrate and alter self spells on yourself.

You count as [reptilian], [native], humanoid, [human], outsider, dragon, and aberration, and whatever subtypes you can get from, say, alter selfing into an [angel/aquatic/chaotic/cold/good/etc] creature, and that's not including all the potential template stacking you can do for additional subtypes.

And then you can use the fusion power to get even more subtypes (and potentially types) out of the deal. Yes, fusion requires you to target another creature with your type, but you can get around this by casting aberrate on yourself and the other creature, then using fusion, then canceling aberrate on your other half. Now you're fusioned with a creature not of your type, so you should gain both.

Oh, and be a spellcaster. Because magebane.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-29, 12:24 PM
3 levels of that one races of stone PRC will count anyone as dwarf.

Zaq
2016-01-29, 12:39 PM
Ordered Chaos (feat) lets you count as Chaotic in addition to your real alignment, so a creature who's LG or LE but has the Ordered Chaos feat could be targeted by three alignment-based Banes, on top of whatever else you've got handy.

Frosty
2016-01-29, 12:50 PM
Since when does bane stack?

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-29, 01:01 PM
Since when does bane stack?

Since it does not give an explicit bonus type and each instance of Bane is a separate effect (Bane (Human) is not the same as Bane (Halfling)).

Andezzar
2016-01-29, 01:15 PM
Ordered Chaos (feat) lets you count as Chaotic in addition to your real alignment, so a creature who's LG or LE but has the Ordered Chaos feat could be targeted by three alignment-based Banes, on top of whatever else you've got handy.That does not work. Ordered Chaos only affects effects based on alignment. Bane needs a subtype.

A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature.

Since it does not give an explicit bonus type and each instance of Bane is a separate effect (Bane (Human) is not the same as Bane (Halfling)).The extra damage dice do stack but the enhancement bonuses only stack with the normal enhancement bonus.

Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus.No matter how many bane properties apply the enhancement bonus is always 2 higher than the normal enhancement bonus, not 2 higher per bane property.

torrasque666
2016-01-29, 01:22 PM
Is Outsider (Fire) an option? I thought it was only the alignments?
A quick run through of the Pathfinder Outsider subtypes reveals the following are all available (for pathfinder at least)
aeon
agathion
air
angel
archon
azata
chaotic
daemon
demodand
demon
devil
div
earth
elemental
evil
fire
good
herald
inevitable
kami
kyton
lawful
native
oni
protean
psychopomp
qlippoth
water
While 3.5's bane is a little more limited
air
chaotic
earth
evil
fire
good
lawful
water

Zaq
2016-01-29, 01:26 PM
That does not work. Ordered Chaos only affects effects based on alignment. Bane needs a subtype.

Right you are. Shows how long it's been since I actually looked at Bane, since it's not actually a good enchantment unless your GM has a massive love-on for one specific style of monster. I was rolling it into Holy/Unholy/Axiomatic/Anarchic, which I had forgotten were different.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-29, 01:48 PM
Right you are. Shows how long it's been since I actually looked at Bane, since it's not actually a good enchantment unless your GM has a massive love-on for one specific style of monster. I was rolling it into Holy/Unholy/Axiomatic/Anarchic, which I had forgotten were different.That's why I like raptor arrows. Auto-bane against everything, and they're reusable. You could always use the rules for mixing item enhancements and add the auto-bane (and better-than-auto-returning) to another weapon.