PDA

View Full Version : Munchkin

Hypothetical
2007-06-15, 04:57 AM
Has anyone else ever played this game? I just got introduced to it a couple of weeks ago.

It's a card game, but NOT a CCG.

It's a complete Spoof on D&D...

You start with two starting piles. 1 Pile are Dungeon Cards, 1 Pile are Treasure cards. Each player is dealt 2 cards out of each pile.

Dungeon cards consist of...

Monsters...
Curses...
Races...
Specials ( things like Dual class, or Half-Breed)
and so on.

Treasure Cards consist of....

Weapons ( like the Broadsword...you get +3 levels to your attack or Defense..but it's only playable by Females. OH and yes, there is a Curse card that switches your gender...)
Armor ( Kneepads of Friendlyness....If you are in combat, any other players MUST assist you in the battle, and they can't ask for any kind of rewards...)
Level Ups ( like Mutilate the bodies...after any combat turn, you can choose to Mutilate the bodies of the fallen ( players or monsters) in order to gain a level)

First person to level 10 wins.....

I thought the game sounded lame when I first got introduced to it...but I'm already searching the local Gamestores for any of the versions ( there is the base game, and at least 4 expansions that I know of....)....

VerdugoExplode
2007-06-15, 05:35 AM
Well, this is definetely a game that becomes exponentially more entertaining the more people you have playing it. My advice is to pick up the base game and whichever expansion tickles your fancy, from goth to cthulu to superheroes they have you pretty well covered. They are all compatible with one another and lead to some rather interesting combinations of classes and races.

Be warned though, this game has all the relationship destroying ability of monopoly with only a 30 minute play time. People will do their best to ruin you and it is your responsibility to do the same to them. Trust no one, if someone helps you kill someone else don't be surprised when they go after you next. It's still an amazing party game though, especially if people are familiar with the stories behind the cards, like the infamous gazebo (Although I still have no idea concerning the backstory of the 3872 orcs)

Remember, the quickest way to the top is on the backs of those less prepared than you.

Hypothetical
2007-06-15, 06:09 AM
Be warned though, this game has all the relationship destroying ability of monopoly with only a 30 minute play time.

It's only relationship destroying if the other players don't understand that it's a game. In fact, the first night that I played this game, I got heavily patted on the back when I used the three best cards in my hand to boost my Warrior, even though it didn't boost me enough to win the encounter. ( My Roommate tossed a buff on my opponent, making sure there was no way I could win, because he knew I had 2 really good cards that would help either of the other players, so I burned the 3 best cards in my hand using the fact that I was a Warrior ( burn one card from you hand to gain +1 attack, upto 3 cards) leaving only 2 cards in my hand, one of which was a race that both of the other players already were, and the other being a Class Card ( Thief) which is very nice, if you are in a posistion to use it.) Both of my opposing players shook my hand on ruining the play. I lost that particular game, but turned around and won the next one by hitting level 10 while both of the other players were still at less than level 4......

And as for being a 30 minute game....of the three games we played, none lasted less than an hour...and the final game of the set lasted nearly 2 hours because it got so cutthroat. ( we had to shuffle the Dungeon Deck twice.....)

Selrahc
2007-06-15, 06:11 AM
Got it. Between me and my friends, we have got all the sets.(Apart from Cthulhu, because as far as I know its not been released in England yet...)

Great fun. Personally I like SuperMunchkin and Bites best, since I just really dig powers.

Dr. Bath
2007-06-15, 08:59 AM
I've got the basic munchkin up to three, but there's a fourth one with steeds that my friend has. You can get a turtle mount.

I partiularly like the Vorpal blade; +10 against anything beginning with J.

Ditto
2007-06-15, 09:56 AM
I've played with up to 8 people before. I've played a game for more than 5 hours, til 4 a.m. - and that one only had 4 people. Spiting people is so much fun... especially when one guy gets to level 9 and EVERYONE pulls some crazy-ass combo with a very liberal interpretation of the rules. 'Liberal interpretation of the rules' is the best part. This game rocks.

TheGreatJabu
2007-06-15, 12:05 PM
Agreed! There's nothing quite like a dramatic escalation to ruin two people who have "teamed up". In one game (there were 5 of us), the two most powerful players had teamed up. One had high levels, the other had tons of good equipment. One of them drew a monster they couldn't take alone (The Ancient Dragon I think), so they agreed to team up and they could beat it.

Suddenly, the Ancient Dragon became gigantic! Then, the one of the two used an item to remove it from combat - but we had high stakes riding on this one! Someone played Wandering Monster and threw down something, which one of the two discarded all their cards to Hypnotize (he was a Wizard). Then ANOTHER Wandering Monster strolled by, and although it was only something level 2 or 3, the other players ganged together to give it roughly +18 worth of buffs. The two players were defeated, and although mildly agitated they "threw it back in our faces" that they were still more powerful than us.

That was before they realized that one of the Wandering Monsters was the Mummy King, and being beaten by it REALLY screws you over. Don't remember how, specifically.

Either way, those two were pretty much out of that game.

Treachery is fun. :smallsmile:

Gaelbert
2007-06-15, 04:13 PM
I love Munchkins. I have Munchkins in Space and the Clown Wars Expansion. I played a thirteen hour game up at a sumer camp I went to, we had basic munchkins, munchkins in space, munckin fu, gothic munchkins, and a few others all shuffled together with around ten or fifteen people playing.

Jack_Banzai
2007-06-15, 06:04 PM
My friends and I have played countless games of Munchkin without anybody feeling bad about it. It's like the RPG Paranoia; you go into it already knowing that the aim is to screw one another eventually. No problem.

Personally I like Munchkin Bites just for the Cam Shaft artwork. The Cam Shaft is a lousy weapon to be sure, a meager +1 (I think), but I will take it over any other weapon in the game because it is my beloved CAM SHAFT.

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-15, 07:33 PM
Ive Only Played Munchkin Once. It was Kinda Fun.:smallsmile: