PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ki and Undead

Milo v3
2016-01-29, 08:46 AM
Ki is now flavoured as a type of positive energy that reaches it's users via the sun, this causes me to wonder how this could impact the roleplaying of dhampir or undead monks & ninjas, since it doesn't sound pleasant to constantly be channelling energy inside your body that is hostile to your very lifeforce.

LTwerewolf
2016-01-29, 09:13 AM
So reverse warlock basically.

Milo v3
2016-01-29, 09:15 AM
So reverse warlock basically.
Warlocks don't have negative energy surging through them constantly as far as I'm aware. :smallconfused:

Ashtagon
2016-01-29, 09:31 AM
Ki is now flavoured as a type of positive energy that reaches it's users via the sun, this causes me to wonder how this could impact the roleplaying of dhampir or undead monks & ninjas, since it doesn't sound pleasant to constantly be channelling energy inside your body that is hostile to your very lifeforce.

Is that actually expressed in crunch, or just fluff? Because I would be inclined to utterly ignore and declare damnatio memoriae anything that suggested that ki was not actually something that comes from within.

Milo v3
2016-01-29, 09:52 AM
Is that actually expressed in crunch, or just fluff? Because I would be inclined to utterly ignore and declare damnatio memoriae anything that suggested that ki was not actually something that comes from within.

A little from column A and a little from column B. The fluff in Occult Adventures says that ki is positive energy, which the body then distributes into the chakras giving it it's animating force and keeping it's body together (so using ki is still something that comes from within, it just happens that the within thing came from somewhere else... like how to grow muscles you need to eat food to get protein). In that same section, it has mechanics for using ki to awaken those previously mentioned chakras. So that section has ki mechanics tied to the fuff

illyahr
2016-01-29, 11:10 AM
A little from column A and a little from column B. The fluff in Occult Adventures says that ki is positive energy, which the body then distributes into the chakras giving it it's animating force and keeping it's body together (so using ki is still something that comes from within, it just happens that the within thing came from somewhere else... like how to grow muscles you need to eat food to get protein). In that same section, it has mechanics for using ki to awaken those previously mentioned chakras. So that section has ki mechanics tied to the fuff

So ki is generated from focusing the force animating the body by becoming one with nature. This just means, for example, a vampire monk generates negative energy ki from sitting under the light of the moon. Problem solved.

Sacrieur
2016-01-29, 11:13 AM
That's silly. And dumb.

Ki is just a mystical energy that comes from within, no need to explain it.

Hamste
2016-01-29, 12:22 PM
That's silly. And dumb.

Ki is just a mystical energy that comes from within, no need to explain it.

Besides the answer is obviously midi-chlorians.

LTwerewolf
2016-01-29, 05:21 PM
Warlocks don't have negative energy surging through them constantly as far as I'm aware. :smallconfused:

Making pacts with eldritch beings is pretty hazardous to your existence.

Psyren
2016-01-29, 05:31 PM
It "comes from the sun" in the sense that souls themselves come from the sun. (Or more accurately, from the Positive Energy Plane, to which the sun is the closest gateway to Golarion.) It's like saying "humans get their energy from the sun" - it's a true statement, (https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/) just not directly. And Dhampir are still living creatures with souls, even if they treat some specific forms of positive and negative energy differently.

For undead monks, whatever force allows them to move around clearly also handles that translation or acts as a stand-in.