PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Time, how do you make it/manipulate it?

Stewbert
2016-01-29, 09:18 AM
As part of a CORE only campaign i'm wondering if there is anyway to create more time or a similar effect. My character has crafting feats but we play in a very driven manner. Ideally the campaign would have a lot of rest time between adventures, but both the party members and the story dont give a lot of time to craft.

My character is an 11th level Mystic Theurge giving me 4th level wizard and cleric spells (5th are not too far off). My crafting options are HUGE but the time to explore them is not! Again we play CORE only but if anyone has any ideas on how I can make more time for crafting or alternative ideas to help me get some items made I would love to hear em!

Thanks!

MisterKaws
2016-01-29, 09:25 AM
Shift to Mechanus and do your stuff there.

Stewbert
2016-01-29, 09:39 AM
Why Mechanus? I'm not too familiar with it but my understanding is that time flows normally there.

Orderic
2016-01-30, 10:11 AM
It depends on wether you include the SRD or not. If you do, you might be able to get a scroll of genesis. If you don't... Try to find a fast time demiplane. Maybe talk to your dm about how you would like to use your crafting feats but can't if you don't have any time. Maybe he will suggest something.

RhymarJared
2016-01-30, 12:03 PM
It depends on wether you include the SRD or not. If you do, you might be able to get a scroll of genesis. If you don't... Try to find a fast time demiplane. Maybe talk to your dm about how you would like to use your crafting feats but can't if you don't have any time. Maybe he will suggest something.

I do have to agree on this one. I play a Lich artificer in an epic game, and Genesis is the best spell to cast. The casting time can slow you down (7 days casting, 8 hours per day) and the entry point is fixed in place (a specific location on the Etheral Plane), but since you can setup the attributes yourself, you can make as if the time in this demiplace is faster than the outside. On my end, a day in my demiplane equals a round in the material plane, so a day in the Material Plane is about 39 years in my demiplane :P.

glitterbaby
2016-01-30, 04:20 PM
I feel like I remember reading somewhere that you can't actually choose the rate at which time moves in your demiplane. Something about it not really being a simple environmental trait or something? I'm not at home so I can't check, can someone confirm or deny this for me?

Zanos
2016-01-30, 05:27 PM
I feel like I remember reading somewhere that you can't actually choose the rate at which time moves in your demiplane. Something about it not really being a simple environmental trait or something? I'm not at home so I can't check, can someone confirm or deny this for me?
They specified how far you can go with time traits in pathfinder, but as far as I know there is no similar rule in 3.5.

Some people on the forums here have argued that determining planar traits is not part of the "environment" as specified by the genesis spell. I personally disagree.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-30, 05:41 PM
Some people on the forums here have argued that determining planar traits is not part of the "environment" as specified by the genesis spell. I personally disagree.Especially since time is listed right under physical planar traits, along with gravity, morphic traits, and shape and size. I honestly have no idea how one could argue against its RAW-ness.

MisterKaws
2016-01-30, 11:19 PM
Why Mechanus? I'm not too familiar with it but my understanding is that time flows normally there.

Mechanus is x10 in time flow, so even if you spent literally all your money in crafting right now, it wouldn't even take a week(in material) to build your stuff.

Waitwaitwait, I think I mistook it for another plane, BRB

I think I mistook Mechanus for some other plane on some campaign, maybe it was Dal Quor.

Anyway, the Far Realms are half-timeless, as in: time flows normally inside, but has no impact on the time outside. I assume you, as a 11th level character, have some way of warding yourself against insanity, else, you'll have to do it another way.

Inevitability
2016-01-31, 03:14 AM
Anyway, the Far Realms are half-timeless, as in: time flows normally inside, but has no impact on the time outside. I assume you, as a 11th level character, have some way of warding yourself against insanity, else, you'll have to do it another way.

The Far Realms are a bad idea for more reasons than simple insanity, though. The plethora of epic-level threats, for one.

Shalist
2016-01-31, 03:19 AM
Does core only preclude planar travel and d20srd's psionics?

The 3.0 MoTP has a table of traits for demiplanes you randomly stumble upon (pg 155, unupdated in 3.5), giving you a 1/10 chance each of having the fast or slow time trait (1 day in the demiplane => 1 hour or 1 week in the material plane), so presumably it wouldn't be too difficult to find one that suits your temporal needs.

---

Regarding genesis...older versions of arcane versions mentioned "...and other physical traits," which technically include (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#physicalTraits) gravity and time. However, the most recent arcane version of genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) doesn't mention 'physical traits,' rendering that argument somewhat moot.

The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. The spellcaster determines factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain.

"...spellcaster can visualize" is still plenty exploitable, mind you. If you're wondering what time looks like, the psionic power quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm) may provide some enlightenment, as well a rather literal answer to the subject of this thread:

You collapse a bit of time from the continuum, forming a 1-ounce dollop of thick, gooey material called quintessence. This substance shimmers like a silver mirror when viewed from some angles but is transparent from other viewpoints. You can smooth a dollop of quintessence around any extremely small object.

edit: minor spelling / formatting.

MisterKaws
2016-01-31, 06:47 PM
The Far Realms are a bad idea for more reasons than simple insanity, though. The plethora of epic-level threats, for one.

Core-only means no epic threat :smallbiggrin:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-31, 06:53 PM
Core-only means no epic threat :smallbiggrin:Except tarrasques and dragons.

Psyren
2016-02-01, 11:24 AM
Core-only means no epic threat :smallbiggrin:

By that logic it means no Far Realm either. You have to go to a source that mentions it (e.g. MotP), and those sources invariably specify the danger.

Assuming MotP is in play, I recommend Realm of Dreams instead. It's fast-time and, as long as you avoid the Dreamheart, you won't die there.

DarkSonic1337
2016-02-01, 12:42 PM
How do you actually get to Dal Quor though? As far as I know it's completely disconnected from the other planes (including the very important astral plane).

Psyren
2016-02-01, 12:46 PM
How do you actually get to Dal Quor though? As far as I know it's completely disconnected from the other planes (including the very important astral plane).

That's Eberron, which has some variant rules on planes such as dead creatures all going to Dolurrrh instead of a plane that matches their alignment. As OP is playing core only I think we have to assume the core setting (i.e. Greyhawk) unless he states otherwise.

Necroticplague
2016-02-01, 01:38 PM
That's Eberron, which has some variant rules on planes such as dead creatures all going to Dolurrrh instead of a plane that matches their alignment. As OP is playing core only I think we have to assume the core setting (i.e. Greyhawk) unless he states otherwise.

If assuming core setting, I'd like to point out the Reign of Dreams you recommended is under 'variantplanes and cosmologies', and is prefaced by 'None of the following planes have a place on the Great Wheel,....", so they aren't gonna be in greyhawk.

MisterKaws
2016-02-02, 08:48 PM
By that logic it means no Far Realm either. You have to go to a source that mentions it (e.g. MotP), and those sources invariably specify the danger.

Assuming MotP is in play, I recommend Realm of Dreams instead. It's fast-time and, as long as you avoid the Dreamheart, you won't die there.

You can't carry stuff out of Dream, it's a dream after all...

Inevitability
2016-02-03, 01:49 AM
You can't carry stuff out of Dream, it's a dream after all...

Maybe when you're asleep you can't. But there's nothing preventing you from Plane Shifting into Dream.

Chronos
2016-02-03, 08:49 AM
Later equivalents to Genesis, such as Word of Genesis and Psionic Genesis, all specify that the time trait is the same as the material. The arcane version, however, says nothing whatsoever about time: Even if you can't choose the time trait yourself, the plane has to have some time trait, and there's no guidance on how to determine that: Is it the same as the Material? Same as the Ethereal or Astral? Chosen randomly? Further, the spell does give a rather broad blanket permission on "environment... reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize", with a specific list of exceptions. Time is part of the environment, and one can certainly visualize it progressing at a different rate.