PDA

View Full Version : Player Help GWM Feat and Booming Blade

Lavok Rammstein
2016-01-29, 10:06 AM
Looking for RAW

I am prepping a Half Orc Tempest Cleric Sorcerer. The character is going to have booming blade and GWM Feat.

If I cast Booming Blade and kill or crit the creature I hit, will this trigger the bonus action attack.

I believe that it does by the way that GWM is worded, but a little piece of me is doubting my logic.

Opinions?

Corran
2016-01-29, 10:21 AM
It works.
Though there is not much synergy in using BB with GWM.

Lavok Rammstein
2016-01-29, 10:28 AM
It works.
Though there is not much synergy in using BB with GWM.

I can see your point about the synergy between BB an GWM. I am mostly interested in the extra initial damage of BB and less about the movement damage. My character will not have the benefit of extra attacks. I am looking to add as much damage to a single attack as possible using BB, GWM, and the Divine Strike from the Tempest Cleric.

Corran
2016-01-29, 10:36 AM
I can see your point about the synergy between BB an GWM. I am mostly interested in the extra initial damage of BB and less about the movement damage. My character will not have the benefit of extra attacks. I am looking to add as much damage to a single attack as possible using BB, GWM, and the Divine Strike from the Tempest Cleric.
Having only a single attack, and multiple extra dice (from BB and DS) that you add to that single attack, is the worst possible set up for someone to take GWM. In most cases the benefit will be insignificant, while in many other cases it will be better not to even use the active part of the feat. If you only have one single attack, then using a cantrip for at will damage will pretty much be the better choice. If you have dice that add to melee attack, just pick a scag cantrip. If you want to maximize damage, make sure you work around a strategy that will revolve around triggering the secondary effect of this cantrip (ie mobile and BB, or cunning action and BB, or some of the storm sorc stuff if they really work with thi - havent really checked). Or find ways to exploit the damage type you are dealing (fire sorcerer if GFB, or even use flasks of oil on your targets before you hit them, or better yet, have your thief rogue do it, if you have one - there are really not many ways to exploit the secondary effect of GFB, it is up to how the enemy is formed up).

Edit: Picking GWM for the bonus attacks on crits/kills alone, does not cut it imo. Crits are too rare and kills will not be a good possibility, since your at will damage is on the very low side of a dpr.

Lavok Rammstein
2016-01-29, 10:54 AM
Well, let's agree to disagree on the GWM feat choice. I may revisit this thread when I put the character into play and let you know how it goes. Initially just wanted to know if the RAW was valid.

Thanks for the idea of using the Mobile feat. I am definitely going with that for my next feat.

Corran
2016-01-29, 10:56 AM
Yeah dude, didnt mean to discourage you, have fun playing this character and feel free to come back and share your stories!