PDA

View Full Version : Combos in Combat

Paeleus
2016-01-29, 11:48 AM
I'm curious to see if anyone has come up with their own "combos" during combat for their character that is both effective and freakin' sweet looking.

To make my point clearer, I will run through a couple types of scenarios with my personal character.

Battle Master/Sorcerer
prerequisites - Disarming Attack maneuver, Catapult spell, Quickened Spell/Action Surge

The plan - disarm the Mook #1 in front of you, use Catapult on it's dropped weapon to hit Mook #2 (who could be well out of reach for you and/or your party this round).

Or

The classic Quickened Hold Person with a full round of weapon attacks (with a possible Action Surge for more Attacks).

Not sure if this will lead anywhere, but I am quite interested to see what the playground has up their sleeves.

RickAllison
2016-01-29, 12:01 PM
For a low-level combo, PAM/Sentinel (better with Tunnel Fighter) + Shocking Grasp. The enemy moves closer, they suffer OA and are stopped. Ally Shocking Grasps before PAM's turn to disable enemy reaction, and both back-up to just outside range.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 12:03 PM
Are last game I'm playing a gunslinger fighter. We make camp for the night I take firsts watch. I was to busy cleaning my guns ( I rolled 9) all of a sudden i was attacked by 8 bandits to make a long fight short are sorcerer drops I'm 90 ft away and am the closes one to him I get to him sliding in shaming my shield in to the ground in front of me and him. Pulled out a med kit patched him up and used my shield as cover for him and me as I picked off the remaining bandits.

maxweasel
2016-01-29, 03:34 PM
Level 6 Pact of the Tome Warlock

At the beginning of the encounter I always use Create Bonfire to set up a 5x5x5 area of firey damage between me and the largest grouping of enemies and whenever someone gets close to me use Thorn Whip to pull them into the fire or use Eldritch Blast with Repelling Blast to push them into it.

This can be pretty devestating in confined ares and makes my warlock the defacto controller in the group.

Laserlight
2016-01-29, 04:29 PM
I'm curious to see if anyone has come up with their own "combos" during combat for their character that is both effective and freakin' sweet looking.

PAM Battlemaster fighter. First attack hits, use a Superiority die for the Trip maneuver, which adds extra damage and he has to roll to avoid Prone. Now the foe's on the ground, so I have Advantage for my second attack and bonus attack. It's not something that takes a genius to come up with, but it's effective.

fishdad
2016-01-29, 04:52 PM
We have the grappling druid/barbarian that shape shifts to a bear. I know not super special. I like it when he drags his grappled enemy behind/towards enemy lines then lets him up and goes and
gets another. The bear must be careful about opportunity attacks and what not, but it is still fun for the other character to finish off the dragged in enemies. They usually have advantage and possible opportunity attacks. We have had a lot of enemies surrender to us because of the tactic. Nothing like being mauled by a bear dragged into a host of enemies and then let go of to demoralize an enemy.

RickAllison
2016-01-29, 07:03 PM
Oh, we have a fun one with our halfling Arcane Trickster and Druid. The little rogue climbs on his back while he is still in base form, then rides in once he shifts into bear form. He sometimes uses an Acrobatics check to flip over the druid's head to get a free sneak attack from advantage (who expects a flying rogue out of nowhere?).

Limited Gish
2016-01-29, 07:25 PM
Storm Sorcerer 6 w/ Quicken Spell
Booming Blade an enemy, then quicken Shocking Grasp to move them back 10 feet. (Optional) Move away so they would be forced to dash to reengage. If they don't move to avoid the extra damage, hit them at range.

Coyote81
2016-01-29, 10:58 PM
This should count as a combo

Highelf with Green Flame Blade, Fighter 3 Battlemaster with sweeping attack and Ranger Hunter with Horde breaker. Dex18/Int16

Use Green Flame Blade on a target and hit the adjacent target for fire damage, use sweeping attack to hit the adjacent target for superiority die damage, then use horde breaker to make an attack on the adjacent target, and use sweeping strike on the new attack to hit the original target for superiority die damage.

1st target takes 3d8 damage +4(Rapier, fire, superiority, plus dex), 2nd target takes 3d8 +7(Rapier, fire, superiority, plus dex, plus int)

You still get a BA too.

joaber
2016-01-29, 10:59 PM
we are low levels.
druid with entangle get a creature, mage conjure create bonfire. Pali sentinel attacks beside, if the creature succeed to leave, trigger AoO and continue in the same place because of sentinel. fighter with GWM to the real damage and trip attack or menacing attack.

there is a sorc/lock flavored soul with bless and dissonant whispers too, to trigger AoO and position the creature. Soon he'll get eldrith blast with repealing blast for more BF control.

mage use grease to prone, druid grab...

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-01-30, 03:42 AM
Level 6 Pact of the Tome Warlock
At the beginning of the encounter I always use Create Bonfire to set up a 5x5x5 area of firey damage between me and the largest grouping of enemies and whenever someone gets close to me use Thorn Whip to pull them into the fire or use Eldritch Blast with Repelling Blast to push them into it.
This can be pretty devestating in confined ares and makes my warlock the defacto controller in the group.

I do something similar with a Great Old One Warlock and Repelling Blast+Evard's Black Tentacles instead of Create Bonfire. Even an opponent who is strong enough to reliably break free has to spend an action doing so if they fail their initial save. So, if they move out of the tentacles on your side of the battlefield, shove them back in with Repelling Blast. This gives them no chance to attack. They can't even dash to move farther away from the tentacles because of the lost action.

Here's a very simple one available to Bards and Sorcerers at level 4+: Open a fight with Hypnotic Pattern. Have everyone focus attacks on one foe. Cast Blind on that target, maintain concentration on all their friends. Not only does this hinder their attack and defense, but they can't see their allies to shake them out of Hypnotic Pattern. If you're really lucky, they aren't standing in reach of their friends and you can have someone grapple them to prevent them from being able to wake them up at all.