PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Origin of the PCs

Malfarian
2016-01-29, 11:51 AM
Hello All,

I feel silly asking this question here, but I can't seem to find the answer. I just bought this book in dead tree form and I LOVED it. However I was sad it was in grayscale, I'd have paid double for color (just my opinion).

Is the pdf format still in grayscale? (I feel like Belkar would mock me here.).

Best
Mal

Jasdoif
2016-01-29, 12:08 PM
I don't have the PDF, but I'm reasonably certain it's still in the original grayscale.

All comics are created in the state that you see them. If they are printed in black-and-white, then I drew them in black-and-white. It would be an enormous amount of work to colorize them or decolorize them, so I am unlikely to ever bother.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-01-29, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I never understood why the Giant used greyscale when everyone knows you use sepia for flashbacks.

:smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-01-29, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I never understood why the Giant used greyscale when everyone knows you use sepia for flashbacks.

It wasn't a flashback. A flashback is flashing back to something already seen. See Clerks: The Animated Series for reference.

Markozeta
2016-01-29, 12:50 PM
Greyscale was for cost savings (note the price). However, he drew it in greyscale - he didn't draw in color and convert to grayscale, so no, the pdf is in color. At the time funds were tighter. Since the Kickstarter, I've heard that's improved.

dtilque
2016-01-29, 03:18 PM

But he had 49 shades of grey just laying around doing nothing...

Grey Watcher
2016-01-29, 11:05 PM
The PDF is a color rendering of a black-and-white comic. :smalltongue: (Sorry, had to channel Calvin's dad for a bit there.)

Kish
2016-01-30, 12:06 AM
Someone asked Rich if he would ever colorize the originally-black-and-white books, once. He replied (paraphrasing), "Unlikely. I'd basically have to redraw them from the start, and if I'm going to be drawing color comics, I'd rather they be new ones, and I suspect most of my readers would also prefer that."

Darth Paul
2016-01-30, 09:52 PM
But he had 49 shades of grey just laying around doing nothing...

Wait, I'm confused... does that mean there are 99 shades of grey total, between OOTS and the well-known novel/film? Or do they have to share some shades? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

I really want to make a Fifty Shades of Grey pun here, but can't work out one that's both tasteful and appropriate...

Rogar Demonblud
2016-01-31, 03:03 PM
No, no, no. The author was trying to one-up the Giant. The book contains no grey, just various flavors of 'meh'. Or at least that's the first four chapters.

Ruck
2016-01-31, 05:27 PM
The PDF is a color rendering of a black-and-white comic. :smalltongue: (Sorry, had to channel Calvin's dad for a bit there.)

Exactly! The strip is color, it's just that the world was black-and-white back then.

Forbiddenwar
2016-01-31, 11:36 PM
Why is it greyscale?
"Clearly, it is to give it that " nostalgic " feeling, so that you really feel like you are peering into the past."

Grumble grumble. Am I the only one who reads introductions anymore?
(End of joke.)

Onyavar
2016-02-04, 05:22 PM
Wait, I'm confused... does that mean there are 99 shades of grey total, between OOTS and the well-known novel/film? Or do they have to share some shades? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Don't worry, in total, there are 254 shades of grey out there, so I'm sure the Giant used a tasteful, distinct set of grey, and a bunch is still left for you and me and everyone else.

littlebum2002
2016-02-04, 05:44 PM
Don't worry, in total, there are 254 shades of grey out there, so I'm sure the Giant used a tasteful, distinct set of grey, and a bunch is still left for you and me and everyone else.

I'm sure that Rich's biggest regret about the prequels is that he didn't wait until that book came out to make them. There's a lot of good jokes to be made there.

dtilque
2016-02-04, 07:20 PM
I'm sure that Rich's biggest regret about the prequels is that he didn't wait until that book came out to make them. There's a lot of good jokes to be made there.

Well, he did make one in Uncivil Servant (the Belkar prequel, see page 9), which is what I was refering to when I said he has 49 shades laying around. I actually didn't get that joke until the second or third time I read that story.

Pyrous
2016-02-04, 07:46 PM
Well, he did make one in Uncivil Servant (the Belkar prequel, see page 9), which is what I was refering to when I said he has 49 shades laying around. I actually didn't get that joke until the second or third time I read that story.

Dude, the thread is about OotPCs. Put the US spoilers inside spoilers. Not everyone of us were around here for the KS.

Rodin
2016-02-04, 10:40 PM
The great part about OtOoPCS is that it was drawn in shiny new "Military Grey" instead of the dowdy old "Ocean Grey" that comics were drawn in before.

...Or was it the other way round?

dtilque
2016-02-05, 07:33 PM
Put the US spoilers inside spoilers. Not everyone of us were around here for the KS.

But there were no spoilers in my post.

goodpeople25
2016-02-05, 08:29 PM
But there were no spoilers in my post.
It stars Belkar, jokes pretty much are spoilers

Well i could be wrong on the tone, but any correction would also be a spoiler.

Pretty much safer to just put anything related in spolier tags.

dtilque
2016-02-06, 12:41 AM
It stars Belkar,
Spoiling a story is about revealing the plot, especially twists. Saying who the main character is does not do that. Reviewers routinely do that for all manner of books, movies, etc. In fact, it'd be difficult to write a review without doing so for almost every story out there. Are typical reviews full of spoilers?

jokes pretty much are spoilers

It wasn't all that funny a joke.

Pretty much safer to just put anything related in spolier tags.

You can do so if you want.

jere7my
2016-02-06, 12:59 AM
Spoiling a story is about revealing the plot, especially twists. Saying who the main character is does not do that. Reviewers routinely do that for all manner of books, movies, etc. In fact, it'd be difficult to write a review without doing so for almost every story out there. Are typical reviews full of spoilers?

No, a spoiler is anything that might spoil someone's enjoyment of a work. Pointing out a joke before they've had a chance to read it certainly counts.

It wasn't all that funny a joke.

Not your call to make.

You can do so if you want.

If you choose not to, get used to people calling you out for being thoughtless.

You might also need to get used to infractions; the forum rules say:

Spoilers Outside of a Spoiler Thread or Not Under Spoiler Tags
Some posters can't see a movie the day it comes out or read that book the day it comes out. So please either mask spoilers with the appropriate tags or post a thread with [spoiler] in the title if you wish to discuss something that people may or may not wish to view due to spoilers.

goodpeople25
2016-02-06, 04:01 AM

1 That is not the only definition of spoiler as already pointed out. It can spoil the experience thus is a spoiler.
2 what is this about the main character? I was saying the book is about Belkar the self proclaimed "only funny thing left in this damn comic strip" thus it is pretty safe guess to say that the story has a comedic tone thus the jokes are pretty much the point of reading the story.

So Thank you for leaving the part about the tone out. :smalltongue: it really made no sense if you thought i was complaining that you spoiled that belkar was the main character.
And once again don't correct me if i'm wrong on the tone, that is also a spolier.

denthor
2016-02-09, 08:36 PM
Why is it greyscale?
"Clearly, it is to give it that " nostalgic " feeling, so that you really feel like you are peering into the past."

Grumble grumble. Am I the only one who reads introductions anymore?
(End of joke.)

So what is wrong with you or did you take your player's handbook to the prom?

I read the intro just forgot the wording

grandpheonix
2016-02-18, 04:02 PM
Its good. Black and White give it flavor. To let you know the rest of the story hasnt quite been colored in just yet.

georgie_leech
2016-02-19, 01:00 AM
No, a spoiler is anything that might spoil someone's enjoyment of a work. Pointing out a joke before they've had a chance to read it certainly counts.

Not your call to make.

If you choose not to, get used to people calling you out for being thoughtless.

You might also need to get used to infractions; the forum rules say:

'Character X makes a joke about Y' is probably the least offensive spoiler imaginable. After all, saying that the OotS is a comic where the characters joke about D&D isn't spoiling anything.

littlebum2002
2016-02-19, 11:51 AM
LOL you seriously don't know the meaning of the word "spoiler" if you think "Belkar stars in the Belkar prequel and makes jokes about stuff" is a spoiler.

Spoiler alert! There's lightsabers in the new Star Wars movie!

Spoiler alert! the new Deadpool movie stars Deadpool! And he makes lots of sex jokes!

jere7my
2016-02-19, 12:29 PM
LOL you seriously don't know the meaning of the word "spoiler" if you think "Belkar stars in the Belkar prequel and makes jokes about stuff" is a spoiler.

Spoiler alert! There's lightsabers in the new Star Wars movie!

Spoiler alert! the new Deadpool movie stars Deadpool! And he makes lots of sex jokes!

LOL we're talking about describing a specific joke here, not the straw man "there are jokes" you've invented. Spoiling a specific joke is certainly a spoiler in a story where much of the enjoyment comes from jokes, at least for some readers, and here it is considered polite to spoiler-protect descriptions of jokes from the Kickstarted PDFs in threads that aren't specifically about them. Author commentary isn't a traditional spoiler either, but it is polite here to spoiler-protect things (including commentary) that only appear in the published books.

You don't get to decide for someone else what might spoil their enjoyment of something, and the forum rules support me. Why not just err on the side of politeness?

georgie_leech
2016-02-19, 12:43 PM
LOL we're talking about describing a specific joke here, not the straw man "there are jokes" you've invented. Spoiling a specific joke is certainly a spoiler in a story where much of the enjoyment comes from jokes, at least for some readers, and here it is considered polite to spoiler-protect descriptions of jokes from the Kickstarted PDFs in threads that aren't specifically about them. Author commentary isn't a traditional spoiler either, but it is polite here to spoiler-protect things (including commentary) that only appear in the published books.

You don't get to decide for someone else what might spoil their enjoyment of something, and the forum rules support me. Why not just err on the side of politeness?

When said 'spoiler' spoils the topic of the joke only and not the context, substance, punchline, visuals, or reaction to the joke, I'm going to say that it's hyperbolic to call it such. If you hint it breaks the rules report and move on.

jere7my
2016-02-19, 02:51 PM
When said 'spoiler' spoils the topic of the joke only and not the context, substance, punchline, visuals, or reaction to the joke, I'm going to say that it's hyperbolic to call it such. If you hint it breaks the rules report and move on.

As I said before, people are free to post spoilers, and readers are free to decide for themselves what might spoil their enjoyment of a work they haven't read. It is the mods' call whether they break forum rules or not. Those posters of spoilers will need to get used to people calling them out for being inconsiderate, though.

georgie_leech
2016-02-19, 02:56 PM
As I said before, people are free to post spoilers, and readers are free to decide for themselves what might spoil their enjoyment of a work they haven't read. It is the mods' call whether they break forum rules or not. Those posters of spoilers will need to get used to people calling them out for being inconsiderate, though.

To be frank, I suspect what you consider a spoiler is not thought of as such by most of the rest of the forum. You may have to get used to other people not being as sensitive to them as you seem to be.

jere7my
2016-02-19, 03:19 PM
To be frank, I suspect what you consider a spoiler is not thought of as such by most of the rest of the forum. You may have to get used to other people not being as sensitive to them as you seem to be.

Well, Frank, I am already used to people on the internet being inconsiderate, but thanks! :D As long as you don't mind being called on it, keep doing what you're doing.

Anyway, we've got three participants here who think the reference to US was a spoiler, and about that many asserting that it's not. I'm not sure you have the overwhelming majority you think you do; people here are pretty sensitive about spoilers. Why not err on the side of politeness?

georgie_leech
2016-02-19, 03:31 PM
Well, Frank, I am already used to people on the internet being inconsiderate, but thanks! :D As long as you don't mind being called on it, keep doing what you're doing.

Anyway, we've got three participants here who think the reference to US was a spoiler, and about that many asserting that it's not. I'm not sure you have the overwhelming majority you think you do; people here are pretty sensitive about spoilers. Why not err on the side of politeness?

To put it another way, it's not that they made a deliberate decision to not spoiler it, it's that it never even occurred to them as something that needed to be spoilered. And I would argue that you're much more likely to get people complaining about a spoiler than people who don't consider it such going 'right on, fight the power!' in response to it not. After all, I'm not doing that and I'm vaguely supporting them :smalltongue: But I've become sidetracked. Ultimately my objection is to you bringing up the forum rules, as that's a bit extreme for what happened. If you honestly believe it counts as a violation, like I said, report and move on.

littlebum2002
2016-02-19, 04:13 PM

Trailers for movies often contain jokes that are in that movie. So think about that poster's comment as a "trailer" for the PDF which gives away one of its lesser jokes to draw you in and get you interested in buying it.

Telling A particular joke in a work of media is not giving a spoiler. Telling detailed about the plot is giving spoilers.

jere7my
2016-02-19, 04:43 PM
Trailers for movies often contain jokes that are in that movie. So think about that poster's comment as a "trailer" for the PDF which gives away one of its lesser jokes to draw you in and get you interested in buying it.

Telling A particular joke in a work of media is not giving a spoiler. Telling detailed about the plot is giving spoilers.

Trailers are put out by the production company, which is able to centrally manage the flow of information (and even then, a lot of trailers do give away too much of the movie). Random internet posters have no such organization. If everybody spoils just one "particular joke", you can wind up with every punch line in the book spoiled before you get a chance to read it. People who didn't participate in the Kickstarter can't buy it, so boosting their interest is pointless right now anyway.

Again, it is not your call what will spoil a work for any particular reader. Better to just universally spoiler-protect discussion of the Kickstarter stories until they're generally available. I don't find it that much of a burden.

137beth
2016-02-28, 10:59 AM

Depends on the color space. With scRGB there are a lot more shades of gray, but most of them are imaginary colors:smalltongue: