PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Pirate background

Peelee
2016-01-29, 12:31 PM
So we're starting out on our first 5th ed campaign, and I want my Half-Elf Rogue to have a backstory of, basically, being in a pirate crew for most of his life. The Sword Coast book, surprisingly, does not come with a pirate background, and I am trying to determine what kind of feature and equipment I would be granted. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I've got nothin'.

No parrots.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-29, 12:36 PM
Just use the sailor and criminal back grounds front the PHB. And use the swashbuckler rouge archtype.

Temperjoke
2016-01-29, 12:39 PM
The player's handbook has a pirate variant for the sailor background. Or are you asking for details such as where your character sailed, who they might know, etc.?

Peelee
2016-01-29, 12:40 PM
I never even thought about doing a mix and match like that. Sounds perfect. Thanks!

The player's handbook has a pirate variant for the sailor background. Or are you asking for details such as where your character sailed, who they might know, etc.?
.......no, I'm just stupid and missed that part in the PHB. Double thanks!

DracoKnight
2016-01-29, 12:43 PM
...There's a Pirate background IN the PHB :smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-01-29, 12:46 PM
...There's a Pirate background IN the PHB :smalltongue:

You're assuming I am a smart man. There's your mistake. :smallwink:

Temperjoke
2016-01-29, 12:52 PM
It's easy to overlook the variant boxes and tables. :)

Douche
2016-01-29, 01:47 PM
You're assuming I am a smart man. There's your mistake. :smallwink:

I saw your avatar pic 3 times while reading this topic and thought it was some kind of cyborg ninja looking to the left. 3 times I did this. Then scrolling back up to the topic list I looked again and realized it was a dragon or something

Corran
2016-01-29, 02:15 PM
I saw your avatar pic 3 times while reading this topic and thought it was some kind of cyborg ninja looking to the left. 3 times I did this. Then scrolling back up to the topic list I looked again and realized it was a dragon or something
Clearly it is a cyborg ninja and not a dragon. I see it too.

ps: Someone cast a bestow curse in this thread, and we are all failing our perception checks!

joaber
2016-01-29, 10:26 PM
Pirate variant in the saylor background = page 137 of PHB

now you have advantage in your check.

Sigreid
2016-01-30, 01:15 AM
Clearly it is a cyborg ninja and not a dragon. I see it too.

ps: Someone cast a bestow curse in this thread, and we are all failing our perception checks!

Clearly it''s a dragon-cyborg-ninja out to make a robot-monkey-pirate.

Corran
2016-01-30, 01:18 AM
Clearly it''s a dragon-cyborg-ninja out to make a robot-monkey-pirate.
Agreed. But he is doing a mistake. He is trying to make a robot-monkey-pirate, when he should be making a ninja-dragon-rider! (kudos to those who will catch the reference)

Sigreid
2016-01-30, 01:19 AM
Agreed. But he is doing a mistake. He is trying to make a robot-monkey-pirate, when he should be making a ninja-dragon-rider! (kudos to those who will catch the reference)

Or a Dragon-Ninja-Rider. I hear those ninja have strong legs!

darkrose50
2016-01-30, 05:44 PM
No parrots.

Tool Use: Birdcage