PDA

View Full Version : Can one Enchant an enchanted item?

Idares
2016-01-29, 02:49 PM
So for eg. Craft Wondrous item Gloves of Dexterity +2 onto my Gauntlets of Ogre Power?

dascarletm
2016-01-29, 02:51 PM
There are rules for adding additional effects in the Magic Item Compendium. So.... yes.

Necroticplague
2016-01-29, 03:00 PM
So for eg. Craft Wondrous item Gloves of Dexterity +2 onto my Gauntlets of Ogre Power?

Yes. There are rules for doing so in the MIC. However, since both of those items are just +stat, you'd do better to simply add the +2 DEX bonus to the gauntlets themselves, which is cheaper than combining it with Gloves of Dexterity.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-29, 06:10 PM
Yes. There are rules for doing so in the MIC. However, since both of those items are just +stat, you'd do better to simply add the +2 DEX bonus to the gauntlets themselves, which is cheaper than combining it with Gloves of Dexterity.

What? That's exactly what he proposed! Your second sentence is basically saying "Simply adding +2 Dex to your gauntlets is better and cheaper than adding +2 Dex to your gauntlets" which of course is utter nonsense.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-29, 06:15 PM
Can one Enchant an enchanted item?I'm pretty sure that objects are immune to mind-affecting effects. :smallamused:

But yes, as others have said, it's definitely possible.

I like finding interesting combinations of abilities, such as combining a glove of the master strategist with a Heward's handy haversack. Multiply your storage space by a factor of approximately 4,000, keep everything in there in stasis automagically, and retrieve stuff as a free action, AND from a distance? Heck yes.

eggynack
2016-01-29, 06:42 PM
What? That's exactly what he proposed! Your second sentence is basically saying "Simply adding +2 Dex to your gauntlets is better and cheaper than adding +2 Dex to your gauntlets" which of course is utter nonsense.
No, they're kinda different things. If you use the actual item, gloves of dexterity, then you're likely making use of the improving magic items rule, which has a premium associated. If you just use +2 dex directly, then you're making use of the adding/improving common item effects rules, which lack said premium.

Necroticplague
2016-01-29, 07:07 PM

No, he seemed to be proposing combining Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Gloves of Dexterity. Such an item would cost 4000+1.5*4000=10000 GP. Simply adding +2 dexterity to the Gauntlets of Ogre Power would be adding a common magic effect, with a cost of 4000+4000=8000. Thus, while they end up with the same effect (a hand slot item that gives +2 STR and +2 DEX), the different methods end up with different costs. I was recommending the latter.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-29, 11:53 PM
No, they're kinda different things. If you use the actual item, gloves of dexterity, then you're likely making use of the improving magic items rule, which has a premium associated. If you just use +2 dex directly, then you're making use of the adding/improving common item effects rules, which lack said premium.

No, he seemed to be proposing combining Gauntlets of Ogre Power and Gloves of Dexterity. Such an item would cost 4000+1.5*4000=10000 GP. Simply adding +2 dexterity to the Gauntlets of Ogre Power would be adding a common magic effect, with a cost of 4000+4000=8000. Thus, while they end up with the same effect (a hand slot item that gives +2 STR and +2 DEX), the different methods end up with different costs. I was recommending the latter.

You both are drawing a meaningless distinction where none exists. "Gloves of Dexterity" is simply the name of an item which grants +2, +4, or +6 to Dexterity. There is no difference at all within the rules if you add +2 Dexterity or "of Dexterity +2" to an existing item. You're literally comparing oranges and oranges here. :smallsigh:

LTwerewolf
2016-01-30, 12:07 AM
It's a meaningful enough distinction that there are different rules for it, different ways to go about it, and different costs assigned to them. You seem to be the only one that wants there to be no difference.

eggynack
2016-01-30, 12:23 AM
You both are drawing a meaningless distinction where none exists. "Gloves of Dexterity" is simply the name of an item which grants +2, +4, or +6 to Dexterity. There is no difference at all within the rules if you add +2 Dexterity or "of Dexterity +2" to an existing item. You're literally comparing oranges and oranges here. :smallsigh:
Yes, I am comparing oranges to oranges, in that the two things are kinda similar and rather easy to compare. Writing it one way puts you in one set of rules, and writing it the other puts you in a different set of rules. These things would be the game, except the game creates an explicit distinction.

Necroticplague
2016-01-30, 12:32 AM

No, I'm not at all drawing a meaningless distinction. One method involves using the rules for combining magic items , while the other is simply adding a basic bonus to an item. That one of the magic items only has the purpose of providing a basic bonus is irrelevant. I'm not comparing an orange to an orange, I'm comparing an apple to an asian pair: two things that, while similar at the surface, have some big underlying differences that end up with vastly different results (in this case, differences to the tune of 2k gold).

Andezzar
2016-01-30, 12:46 AM
I too would recommend the latter, however the former even works if the MIC is not used:
For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.