PDA

View Full Version : chaos mutations

Rocktopotomus
2007-06-15, 08:52 AM
I'm trying to inject some creepiness into the campaign I'm running. And since some of my players know every rule for every spell and every creature I thought I'd throw something new into the works.
Namely, I want to bring the forces of chaos from warhammer into my dnd campaign.

I'm trying to create a chaos mutation chart, so that I can make mutants and spawns. If anyone know of anything like this on the web or has ideas for mutations please share them.
here are some of the 'gifts' I am likely to bestow on my players/npc/villians :smallamused:

hunchbacked
grows hardened carapace
hand(s) become claws
legs become goat legs w/hooves
eyestalks
shark mouth
lamprey eel mouth
extra arm
tentacles
arm becomes tentacle
fleshy eruption (think tetsuo)
bestial face
horns
shriveled limb
gills
wings
skinless
eye become sunken empty pits
scales
spits acid
acid blood
breath fire
talons for fingers
barbed flesh
spikes
bloated with maggots
second head
covered in popping boils
angelic aura
tail
prehensile tail
very long legs
blind
emits slime/goo
eyes become mouths
filth cloud
metal becomes part of body
enormously fat
spider legs
regeneration
fur
lashing tongue
amorphic body(sort of ooze like)
ice cold
skin changes color
Chameleon skin
photosynthesis, leaves covering
skeleton grows, pierces skin
Beak (bird or octopus)
bird legs/feet
bug eyes
body constantly on fire
cyclopean
elastic limb
extra joints
third eye
featureless face
growth
rotting flesh
suckers
shrink

here is a link with some thoughts on the rules for said mutations although this is just a very rough draft
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pezGbBxPfR6f5MfsFkUvnXA
the mutations with a star indicate that they also cause a -4 to disguse
I just don't like my players to know what is going to happen next.

Poppatomus
2007-06-15, 09:15 AM
Damn it. I was going to ask if you wanted to just use the Slaad mutation table, but now I find out it's not publically available, so unless you have the book, no dice on that one. Sorry.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 09:06 PM
Heh, heh. Why not just play War Hammer Fantasy Roleplay? Well, given that you are not in favour of that, I wonder about Mutation Charts. Some of these are going to require Level Adjustment, I think. Nice idea, but how are you incorporating the corrupting poer of Chaos into your Campaign World? Are you introducing the Chaos Deities or is this just going to be part of the Supernatural Force (Chaos)?

KingGolem
2007-06-17, 12:18 PM
Hmm...I've seen mutation systems before that were somewhat similar to this one. Have you, perchance, heard of the book Chaositech? It has a mutation system (in addition to enough stuff to creep out a PC to level 666 of the Abyss and back). I'd post a link, but I'm not at home, and this computer I'm on is pretty slow. Following their general idea, I suggest you arrange these in a creature template with the abilities sorted out in accordance to how much of a benefit/hinderance they are, and have them adjust the creatures CR accordingly.

Hazkali
2007-06-17, 05:40 PM
:smallamused: Hee Hee Hee... may I direct you to the DMgasmic Book of Vile Darkness?

The random effects of the Warp Touch spell, Table 2-5 details 38 grotesque and wonderful mutation effects.
Evil players/NPCs can take Deformity feats, which grant bonusses for grotesque self-mutilation
Its dark and thoroughly debased take on evil will truly be at home in a WFB-themed campaign

[/plug-for-BoVD]

Callix
2007-06-17, 06:54 PM
Most of the time, you can just cut and paste from monsters with the traits required, or copy from spells. Where things don't have any real game impact, try this:

Horrific Appearance
Your appearance is deformed and twisted in horrible ways. You disgust all those who see your face.
Rule effects: Anyone who sees your undisguised face must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2HD + Con? modifier) or be shaken. You can take a standard action to do really gross stuff, forcing a Fortitude save (same DC) from a single opponent against being nauseated for one round. You take a -4 penalty to all Disguise and Diplomacy checks skills among non-Chaos worshippers. You gain a +2 bonus to all Diplomacy checks among Chaos worshippers, and a +2 bonus to all intimidate checks.

Type bonuses as appropriate.

Fizban
2007-06-17, 07:04 PM
:smallamused: Hee Hee Hee... may I direct you to the DMgasmic Book of Vile Darkness?

The random effects of the Warp Touch spell, Table 2-5 details 38 grotesque and wonderful mutation effects.
Evil players/NPCs can take Deformity feats, which grant bonusses for grotesque self-mutilation
Its dark and thoroughly debased take on evil will truly be at home in a WFB-themed campaign

[/plug-for-BoVD]

And that's not counting the whole warp touch disease, detailed on some other page.

*I don't know what the name is, but it was a warping disease with a 100 point table of stuff, in the diseases section.

Ceres
2007-06-17, 07:11 PM
I made one of these once :smallbiggrin: It had 100 entries, written by hand. It was for a class that had to roll a d% on the table for every level.

But then again, that class also had negative BaB progression. Ahh, those were more innocent times.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-17, 07:18 PM

[/plug-for-BoVD]

Very good, but he said these players know every rule for everything. In that case, they'll probably have all the Exalted counters to everything in the BoVD.

[/plug for BoED]

My advice:Homebrew it.

Hazkali
2007-06-18, 03:49 AM
And that's not counting the whole warp touch disease, detailed on some other page.

*I don't know what the name is, but it was a warping disease with a 100 point table of stuff, in the diseases section.

My bad, Warp Touch is a disease, not a spell, although if you count the number of points on the table there are only 38 :smallfrown: - I'd always assumed there were 100 because it asks for a d% roll.

Anyway, if you really want to up the Forces-of-Chaos aspect, give them the Warpsword, which inflicts anyone it hits (fort negates) with Warp Touch.

MWAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

Rocktopotomus
2007-06-18, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll have to do some reading/purchasing. =]

as for the warpsword, I created a greater demon of Tzneetch which basically does the same thing when a player attacks it, although it warps the weapon not the wielder, although if the player attacks with a natural weapon..... :smallbiggrin:

Ghal Marak
2007-06-18, 08:56 AM
I just have to say that this rocks my socks off. Warhammer for D&D would be awesome to play. I even got my username from Warhammer! :smallbiggrin:

I don't have anything of substance to add to the conversation, I was just wanting to coment.

EDIT: Corrected grammar.