PDA

View Full Version : Best Perform Skills Outside the Normal Set?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-29, 09:07 PM
I have a high level Int-based character I'm building with a +13 Int modifier, and I took Versatile Performer, because I had an extra feat, and some Perform skills are quite useful for fluff, while others go above and beyond simply using bardic music. That, and I never seem to have enough skills for a truly well-rounded individual, and sacrificing a ton of skill points for flavor rubs me the wrong way, to say the least.

He's a musician and general performer as some of his hobbies, and so he does have most of the categories in the SRD, except he's not a comedian, and so there's no Perform (Comedy) there. He does, however, have the following categories: Acting, Brass, Dance, Keyboard, Mimicry (useful for impersonations and for making practically any sound imaginable, a la Larvell Jones, from Police Academy), Oratory, Percussion, Singing, Strings, Weapon Drill (he's also a flashy martial artist), Woodwinds, and Ventriloquism (for throwing his voice, which can be quite handy, especially when combined with Perform (Mimicry)).

I have two more to choose, and I want skills that are as broad as possible while having both practical in-game applications and fun fluff ones, though the fluff or practicality can suffer if the other side of the coin is good enough. Perform (Sex) is off the table, for now, as it's not likely to ever come up, and there are buff spells to give bonuses to it, if it comes down to that.

Any suggestions?

Samuel Sturm
2016-01-29, 11:09 PM
Yep, I came in here to post Oratory and Weapons Drill. Drill is best combined with the ability to have a preform check replace a concentration check, from Exemplar, I think? Then combine with Tome of Battle maneuvers that let you replace your saves with concentration checks. Fireball? I fend it off with my sword! Mind control? I cut it away!

Inevitability
2016-01-30, 01:25 AM
Perform (tea ceremony). :smalltongue:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-30, 01:47 AM
Perform (tea ceremony). :smalltongue:I should really break out the exemplar so I can use tea ceremony accoutrements and procedures to handle everything from slaughtering enemies to dealing with fireballs, disintegrates, and dominates to resisting losing my spells.

"DO YOU WANT ONE LUMP OR TWO?" *SMACK*SMACK*

LordOfCain
2016-01-30, 09:52 AM
Yep, I came in here to post Oratory and Weapons Drill. Drill is best combined with the ability to have a preform check replace a concentration check, from Exemplar, I think? Then combine with Tome of Battle maneuvers that let you replace your saves with concentration checks. Fireball? I fend it off with my sword! Mind control? I cut it away!

I think it is Melodic Casting.