PDA

View Full Version : Seperating Constructs from Elementals

Frankentimmy
2016-01-29, 11:45 PM
Is there a spell that can free an elemental from the construct it's inhabiting?

Duke of Urrel
2016-01-29, 11:55 PM
I don't know of any such spell. But your idea is excellent, and if I were your dungeon master, I would surely let you use the research rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook):

Independent Research
A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

Of course, this raises various questions: what level the spell should be, what kind of saving throw it should allow, and so forth.

EDIT: Maybe the Undeath to Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undeathToDeath.htm) spell can serve as a model for what you're looking for.

Darth Ultron
2016-01-30, 12:42 AM
Any spell that destroys the construct ''frees'' the elemental. Otherwise, there is no specific spell.

Bullet06320
2016-01-30, 07:36 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm

this should work, I would think

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-30, 09:06 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm

this should work, I would think
It doesn't, because creatures can't be dispelled, even if they are created or sustained through magic. Constructs are like magic items in how they are created, but they are not vulnerable to dispel magic and antimagic fields, and Mordenkainen's disjunction does not affect them, either.

That said, the range of spells that exist to bind souls, break souls free, bind outsiders/elementals, destroy undead, and so on, suggests that there should be a spell that frees the elemental power from a golem or Eberron airship.

RhymarJared
2016-01-30, 10:34 AM
It's not used for it, but if I had to design a spell to produce that effect, I would choose Banishment as a base to work it out. Since there's an actual binding process, probably make it one spell level higher than Banishment, increase the casting time, something like that.

Zombimode
2016-01-30, 12:51 PM
That said, the range of spells that exist to bind souls, break souls free, bind outsiders/elementals, destroy undead, and so on, suggests that there should be a spell that frees the elemental power from a golem or Eberron airship.

Banishment deals with bound elementals. But do note that there is a difference between the elemental bound to an Eberron airship and the elemental spirit used as the animating force for a golem. For the airship the elemental actually has a corporeal existence on the material plane. For the golem this isn't true.

The Viscount
2016-01-31, 12:47 PM
There's no RAW spell that I know of, but I could see you getting away with extract water elemental.

Zaydos
2016-01-31, 04:15 PM
There's no RAW way, but I would probably place it as an 8th level spell, Will save or die that only targets Constructs and in effect summons an elemental (variety determined by the construct type for MM constructs and DM's choice for others) of size = construct's size (up to huge) for 1 round/caster level before it is fully released to the Elemental plane. While not under your magical control the elemental recognizes that any destruction here will only result in brief (1 year?) discorporation on the Inner Planes as it is in effect summoned not called and it recognizes you freed it so if you didn't make the construct yourself it is helpful to you by default. Maybe make it just be friendly/helpful to you and in effect a called creature that you don't control but it owes you a favor, won't do anything too risky but you did just save it.

MisterKaws
2016-01-31, 11:41 PM
Elementals bound to constructs are, as far as I know, effectively dead, with their bodies completely obliterated.

Destroying a construct by any means frees the elemental bound to it, but does not restore its body. The now freed elemental will have no body whatsoever, and is essentially a wandering soul.

Maybe with time, left alone on its elemental plane, a freed elemental could create a new body out of the swirling energy within its plane.