PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Brown, Fang, Deep and Shadow Dragonborn

M Placeholder
2016-01-30, 07:20 AM
Brown Dragonborn

Found in the Arid regions of Abeir and also around the Plains of Purple Dust on Toril, the Brown dragonborn are experts in the survival in some of the most hostile areas of both worlds. In appearance, they have vestigial wings that adorn their backs, and have two sets of horns above their golden eyes, with a hide that is speckled brown and sand coloured.

When needs be, brown dragonborn can subsist on a diet that partially contains sand from the Badlands and deserts that they inhabit. But for the majority of brown dragonborn, live prey is a far more tempting prospect - especially sentient live prey.

As a brown dragonborn, you have these characteristics -

Ability Score Increase – Your Strength increases by 1 and your Constitution increases by 2
Age – Brown dragonborn age at the same rate as other types of dragonborn, but their bestial nature and belligerence means that few get to see old age.
Size – Brown dragonborn are around the same size and height as other types of dragonborn.
Speed – Your base speed is 30ft
Darkvision – you have Darkvision up to 60 feet. You can see in low light conditions as if it were bright light and darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern colour in the darkness, just shades of grey.
Breath Weapon – Your breath weapon is acid, which you can breathe in a 5 ft 30ft line emanating on you. When you use the weapon, each creature must make a Dexterity save or take 2d6 acid damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. The save DC for the weapon is 8+ your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus.
After you use your breath weapon, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or a long rest.
Acid Resistance – You have resistance to acid damage
Innate magic – You know Create or Destroy Water, and can cast it as a 1st level spell once per 24 hours.
Languages – You can speak Draconic and Common.

Fang Dragonborn
The bestial and brutal fang dragonborn are found in the mountains of Abeir, in conflict with other dwellers that call the cold, unforgiving peaks their home. Though their tails lack the two blades at the end of their forked tails that the fang dragons have, they do have spines that grow over their tough scaled bodies as per the fang dragons. With lower jaws surrounded with spines and crimson eyes that seem to burn in their steel coloured faces, fang dragonborn look almost demonic – fitting considering one of the legends of their ancestry, in which they travelled from the ruins of the great elven city of Myth Drannor to the mountains of Abeir.

Fang dragonborn clans are reviled across the northern reaches of Abeir, due to their sadistic nature and violent outbursts.As a fang dragonborn, you have the following features -

Ability Score Increase – Your Constitution goes up by 1 and your Strength goes up by 2
Size - Fang dragonborn are on average heavier than the other types of dragonborn, but stand around the same height.
Darkvision – Up to 60ft, you can see in low light conditions as if it were bright light and darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern colour in the darkness, just shades of grey.
Tough Skin - When unarmoured, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier. You are unable to wear armour without major adjustments to fit your spiky form, even when that armour was made for other dragonborn, and armour made for you costs double.
Grapple – When you make a successful grapple check when not wearing armour, you deal 1d8 of piercing damage.
Sound Imitation – You have the ability to mimic voices and sounds that you have heard with a performance check. Those that listen to you must make a perception check (8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) to discern the ruse.
Tripping Critical – When you hit a creature with a melee attack and score a critical hit, you can choose to knock that creature prone if it is a large creature or smaller.
Languages – You can speak Common and Draconic

Deep Dragonborn

Found in the Underdark of Abeir, the deep dragonborn have established large cities under the surface of that world. Sleek and sinuous, with the ability to change from their normal purple scaled from into a humanoid form, the deep dragonborn are usually masters of deception and stealth, with a number of them infiltrating cites of the drow and duergar.

As a deep dragonborn, you have the following attributes -

Ability Score Increase – Your Wisdom increases by 2 and your Strength increases by 1
Size – Deep dragonborn are more sinuous and lighter than other dragonborn, weighing in at around 230 pounds, and stand taller on average.
Age – Deep dragonborn age at the same rate as other dragonborn types
Darkvision – Up to 60ft, you can see in low light conditions as if it were bright light and darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern colour in the darkness, just shades of grey.
Tough Skin - When unarmoured, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier
Elemental Resistance – You have resistance to either cold or fire damage.
Charm Resistance – You have advantage on saving throws against charming effects
Humanoid Form – You can change into a form of a humanoid creature from the Underdark. This form can be a drow or duergar. You can only take one type of humanoid form.
In your humanoid form, your AC is 10 + your dexterity modifier if unarmoured. You can change form a number of times per day equal to half your proficiency bonus rounded down.
Languages – You can speak Draconic, Common and the Drow dialect of Elven.

Shadow Dragonborn

On Abeir, a number of dragon lords retreated to the Plane of Shadow, and brought their servants to the realm of darkness. Over time, the dragonborn became attuned to the shade, and the result was the birth of a new breed, one infused with the nature of that sunless realm.

The shadow dragonborn dwell in the cities that are a twisted reflection of those on the material plane, and also serving the masters that brought them into the darkness.

As a shadow dragonborn, you have the following traits -

Ability Score Increase – Your Constitution increases by 2 and your Strength increases by 1
Age – Shadow dragonborn age at the same rate as other dragonborn.
Size – Due to their links with the Plane of Shadow, shadow dragonborn weigh less on average than other types of dragonborn.
Darkvision - Up to 120ft, you can see in low light conditions as if it were bright light and darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern colour in the darkness, just shades of grey.
Umbral Cloaked – You have advantage on Stealth Checks made to hide in shadowy areas.
Shadow Breath – You have a breath attack as per normal dragonborn, but it deals necrotic damage instead of the damage associated with the draconic ancestry. You also have resistance to necrotic damage
Shadeborn - You are immune to Shadowfell despair, the despair of Hades, and other similar effects.
Languages – You can speak Common and Draconic

M Placeholder
2016-01-30, 07:25 AM
Here are dragonborn that correspond to other dragons found on Toril - the fang (which don't have breath weapon, but instead are covered in spikes and have a bite attack that drains levels - at least in 3.5), the deep (which are allies of the drow and can take the form of humanoids, as well as serpentine forms), the brown (dwell in the deserts east of Mulhorand and are rumoured to be the result of Imaskari experiments) and the shadow (these were a separate type of dragon in 3.5 and native to the Plane of Shadow)

I'm not sure about the balance of the deep dragonborn shapechange ability or the fang dragon mimicry. Let me know how I can balance things out if needs be.

Mith
2016-01-30, 11:51 AM
I would say that shape change wouldn't be a big game changer, since they lose the damage of the breath weapon and instead gain a more utility based ability instead. Mimicry is also the same. Granted I am also underwhelmed by the mimicry ability, but that is in part because when I ran a game with Kenku, one of the players there had read the MM before (he also DMs) so there were no actually effective applications of it.

M Placeholder
2016-01-31, 07:47 AM
Thanks, I guess that Mimicry is pretty DM dependent, but its such a huge part of the Fang Dragon that I would not feel comfortable leaving it out of the equivalent DB.

Just got to come up with the lore for these now.....

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-31, 01:41 PM
Pretty cool. They are pretty balanced. Some lose the Dragon feeling but I think it is good this way

M Placeholder
2016-02-02, 02:24 PM
Pretty cool. They are pretty balanced. Some lose the Dragon feeling but I think it is good this way

They are all stronger than the one in the PHB, but considering that its pretty weak, I feel comfortable with them all being stronger. I also added necrotic damage resistance to the shadow dragonborn, and some lore (Not that familiar with Abeir, so might improve it later.

As to feeling, if you mean by the lack of breath weapon, well that is far from the only thing that defines a dragon, and the fang and deep dragons are defined by features other than their breath weapon or lack thereof. So they still have the dragon feeling, just not the chromatic or metallic.