PDA

View Full Version : Magic stone cantrip question.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-30, 09:06 AM
Can you add your dex mod to the attack roll and damage on top of your spell mod? And will it also work with sharpshooter?

hymer
2016-01-30, 09:16 AM
Can you add your dex mod to the attack roll and damage on top of your spell mod? And will it also work with sharpshooter?

No and no.

Edit: Actually, your DM may choose to be lenient on the last count, at least partially.

CaptAl
2016-01-30, 09:16 AM
Dex is replaced by your spell casting stat. So no.

I don't see why you couldn't use sharpshooter. So, yes.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-30, 09:29 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use sharpshooter. So, yes.

Magic Stone explicitly says "make a ranged spell attack". Sharpshooter explicitly says "ranged weapon attack". You cannot use Sharpshooter with Magic Stone.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-30, 09:31 AM
What if your using a sling it becomes ammunition?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-30, 09:33 AM
What if your using a sling it becomes ammunition?

The spell says you can use a sling, but doesn't say that it then becomes a weapon. I would therefore rule that it remains a spell.

As it happens, I have already homebrewed an item that overcomes this:

Redcap Sling (weapon (sling), uncommon). These slings, manufactured and wielded exclusively by red caps, transmute any stone they fire in a manner similar to the Magic Stone cantrip. This sling functions in exactly the same way as a mundane one, except that each piece of ammunition inflicts 1d6 magical bludgeoning damage, and the wielder may use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for their attack and damage bonuses.

CaptAl
2016-01-30, 09:57 AM
Magic Stone explicitly says "make a ranged spell attack". Sharpshooter explicitly says "ranged weapon attack". You cannot use Sharpshooter with Magic Stone.

I stand corrected. RAW Sharpshooter isn't allowed. I don't find it to be game breaking, so I'd allow it anyway. But that's homebrew.

Foxhound438
2016-01-30, 01:01 PM
magic stone is kind of an odd spell. it seems to me that it's best use is to cast it and hand the rocks to a str fighter/paladin/etc with no rage game, so they can be useful against flying mobs or similar, while you continue to spam your eldritch blast.

SharkForce
2016-01-30, 01:07 PM
magic stone is kind of an odd spell. it seems to me that it's best use is to cast it and hand the rocks to a str fighter/paladin/etc with no rage game, so they can be useful against flying mobs or similar, while you continue to spam your eldritch blast.

strength-based characters should still haul around some form of (probably thrown) ranged weapon. they might be strong, but that doesn't mean they have to be too stupid to know that sometimes they need a ranged attack, and all those extra muscles mean that they should have the carrying capacity to haul around at least 3-4 rounds worth of javelins.

still not bad for giving to others, but generally speaking, it shouldn't be your first resort in that situation, particularly since it means that the caster is unable to cast a non-cantrip spell in the same round, and it shuts out other bonus actions.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-30, 02:32 PM
generally speaking, it shouldn't be your first resort in that situation

If Magic Stone is your first resort, you have some serious problems.

CantigThimble
2016-01-30, 02:41 PM
If Magic Stone is your first resort, you have some serious problems.

Well, it's pretty decent levels 1-4. Or if someone with poor attacks uses them for you. Let's say a cleric with magic initiate for shillelagh and magic stone walks around with a couple of skeletons, before he enters a room he casts it 3 times and then if you can with the fight in the first 3 rounds then each of the skeletons basically has a +3 shortbow.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. Still, one barrage of +3 weapons seems decent.

hymer
2016-01-30, 02:59 PM
before he enters a room he casts [magic stone] 3 times

You can't have more than three magical stones affected by the spell at any one time.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-01-30, 03:31 PM
You can't have more than three magical stones affected by the spell at any one time.

Unless you have more than one 1 warlock/druid... (http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/08/witches-and-druids-among-new-recruits-for-army-according-to-mod-data-4754467/)

Naanomi
2016-01-30, 05:54 PM
Uses:
-thematic on a magic initiate/wisdom character mostly using shillelagh
-for a warlock to hand to his imp/quasit/Sprite familiar to attack with (or a magic initiate Beastmaster ranger for his monkey?)
-supporting peasants/skeletons/whatever when they are on your side on the battlefield